C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Shock Removal on '88 vert...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2001, 12:42 AM
BobMachus
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just looked at my rear shocks and they look nothing like what is in my Haynes. The Haynes sez that the top mount of the shock is thru-bolted like the bottom, but the new shocks and the old shocks clearly illustrate that this is not the case. the shocks have a post at the top like the fronts, but the post vanishes into the body of the car. there are two bolts beside the post, should I remove these and drop the plate that these hold to the car and remove the post from the plate? Any advice from anyone with experience would be appreciated.

thanks, Bob

Old 07-29-2001, 06:31 AM
M2001
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have an 88 convertible. To change the rear shocks, you have to remove the two bolts that secure the plate to the frame. The upper end of the shock is attached to this plate. Once you have the shock off the car, unbolt the shock from the plate. This is a super easy job.

When you ready to install the upper plate back onto the frame, you may consider the use of a medium grade of Loctite. When I was about to change the rear shocks on my car, I found the bolts on the upper plate very loose. I used Loctite to put these bolts back and they're holding firmly.

[This message has been edited by M2001 (edited 07-29-2001).]
Old 07-29-2001, 03:52 PM
BobMachus
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks M2001,
I'll get on that. I thought that was what it was, but didn't wanna screw something up.

Bob

Old 07-29-2001, 07:56 PM
M2001
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're welcome Bob,

Send me an email if you run into any problems with your 88 Convertible. I did a more than a few mods on my ragtop.

Regards, Ty

Get notified of new replies

To Shock Removal on '88 vert...

Quick Reply: Shock Removal on '88 vert...