C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What should a rear brake job cost ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2001, 03:02 PM
DougSilver
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went to my local Delco tire shop yesterday to have a nail removed from my left rear tire and get a price on new tires. While the wheel was off the car, the tech alerted me that the rear brakes were almost gone and that I needed pads very soon (38,000 miles on the car and I think that I have only replaced the fronts).

Anyway, one of the guys called his parts suppliers and quoted me about $200 just for the pads (oem)! and $300 for the total install including the pads, turn rotors, etc.

Based on my browsing through Ecklers and MAD catalogs, the $200 seems way excessive. Anyone have an idea what a fair price is for rear brakes?

As an aside, the supposedly "great" price they quoted for tires also left alot to be desired--BF Goodrich Gforce TA fronts at about $250 each--seems I should be able to do better.

Old 07-29-2001, 03:34 PM
fbodylover
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did my rears not too long ago.. It takes about 10-15 min a side. Figure 1/2 hr a side shop cost, 70/hr so $70 for labor.
Paid $55 for my pads.. Figure you're going to pay about $80 for pads. Total cost= $150ish.
That said, if you have BASIC tools you can do them in the driveway without too much hassel.
Old 07-29-2001, 03:46 PM
C4396roadster
Pro

Originally Posted by DougSilver
I went to my local Delco tire shop yesterday to have a nail removed from my left rear tire and get a price on new tires. While the wheel was off the car, the tech alerted me that the rear brakes were almost gone and that I needed pads very soon (38,000 miles on the car and I think that I have only replaced the fronts).

Anyway, one of the guys called his parts suppliers and quoted me about $200 just for the pads (oem)! and $300 for the total install including the pads, turn rotors, etc.

Based on my browsing through Ecklers and MAD catalogs, the $200 seems way excessive. Anyone have an idea what a fair price is for rear brakes?

As an aside, the supposedly "great" price they quoted for tires also left alot to be desired--BF Goodrich Gforce TA fronts at about $250 each--seems I should be able to do better.

[/color]
dont waste your money for labor onsuch an easy job , all you need is a c clamp a couple of more basic hand tools and the pads prices to turn both rotors $20 or less and you figure autozone pfz pads $60 and the job with your labor can be done for $80 or less with that said what do you think, and If I recall I think autozone/pepboys will lend you the tools for a deposit if you need to do the job
Old 07-29-2001, 08:22 PM
DougSilver
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the info. Frankly, I am beyond the point where I enjoy working on my car (those days are long past). So I don't begrudge the $70 labor but I did suspect that the $200 for pads sounded outrageous.

Old 07-30-2001, 12:40 AM
88L98
Drifting

Cruise-In II Veteran

the back brakes are extremely easy to work on. you might wanna consider doing it yourself. you have to take off two bolts to remove the caliper, press the piston back in the caliper with a c-clamp, put the new pads on, and then just bolt it back up. pads in no way shape or form should cost 200 dollars.
Old 07-30-2001, 09:39 AM
traxx1
Racer

Just did my rear pads last week and the hardest part of doing them was getting the wheel off and the run to checker auto to have the disc turned, MY cost for ac delco pads was $16 dollars and was $8 to have each disc turned and belive they needed it, as far as your tires go to to costco, I bought 27/40/17 zr, kdsw in January,bf goodrich g force for $139 apice, its your money, might as well spend it wisely.

traxx1
Old 07-30-2001, 12:33 PM
GenoLT4
Racer

I just got done doing front and rear brakes.

I have the 13" grand sport brakes in front so the pads were more. AC Delco front pads cost $150, rear pads cost $50. Rotors cost $15 each to be turned.

I took me longer because I took the time to check wheel bearings, bushings, etc.. and clean up the suspension and make it look purdy

Under $300 for the whole thing doing it myself and knowing it was done right.

Old 07-30-2001, 01:15 PM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I got a quote from a dealer back in WA when I lived there and they stated $149.99 +tax. So you are getting ripped off. Go someplace else for any work now or in the future.
I did my rear brakes myself and spent less then $100 for the whole deal.

Old 07-30-2001, 01:27 PM
scottkorczynski
Instructor

Just did my rear pads last weekend. I found that there was quite a price difference from dealer to dealer. One Chevy dealer quoted me $70. Another $41. Talk about mark-up. Super easy job. Do it yourself.

Old 07-30-2001, 11:14 PM
DougSilver
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the responses. I stopped by my local independent guy who also does restoration (Javier's in Van Nuys) and he said the pads are about $70 max. He would do the entire job including turning rotors and bleeding for about $150--sound fair to me.

Traxx1--thanks for mentioning Costco. It didn't occur to me that they would carry high performance/wide/low profile tires. There are 2 Costco's near me and I will check that out.

Old 07-31-2001, 12:43 AM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Dealer hear runs a special on them for around $129. I went with new rotors (from TLD) and ceramic pads. I still didn't pay that much. All told I think it was about $350 total out the door tax and BRAND NEW rotors.

Get notified of new replies

To What should a rear brake job cost ?

Quick Reply: What should a rear brake job cost ?