C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

About to install Poly bushing Master Kit...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2001, 03:56 PM
BobMachus
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is there any special kind of grease I need? Regular moly grease, Mobil 1, or something else? I have been told to have plenty on hand, and I just want to know what kind to get. Bob

Old 07-29-2001, 04:12 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Hey Bob,
Every person I spoke to said to get Marine Grease in a tube..its a few bucks.One 10 inch tube is more then enough.
Buy ALOT of latex gloves..this stuff is very hard to wash off with soap and water.

Also have plenty of rags and lacquer thinner to help clean up excess.

The marine grease I ended up using was from the local parts store..the tube is similair to what you would use to insert into a grease gun...I got the green color grease..because its basically waterproof, it will hold up in the bushings for a long time.

So far so good!!
If theres other better synthetic trick lubes out by now, im sure someone will post that soon.
Have fun!!
Old 07-29-2001, 04:32 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

you know... I don't think there is a better grease option for this application!

Remember, these things are subjected to all sorts of environmental conditions, and you will want a nice strong grease to protect the poly AND the metal it is riding on.

Keep us posted on your project... I am interested in doing this, also.

Old 07-29-2001, 10:50 PM
RED90SIXLT1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I did the poly bushing thing on my old 86 I also used marine grease. It was a bluish green color and real thick. The trick to squeekless bushings is to make sure everything is super clean. When your messing with that grease it is easy to pick up small peices of grit...then they squeek. I used spray brake parts cleaner on everything before I greased them up. Overall it was a very simple process. Good luck.
Old 07-30-2001, 12:25 AM
Hendej
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you get Energy Suspension, they include enough synthetic grease to get it done. It is unlike any grease I have come across - it's almost impossible to get out of the package or off of anything it contacts. If you hear someone talking about elephant snot, this is the stuff they're referring to.

Get notified of new replies

To About to install Poly bushing Master Kit...

Quick Reply: About to install Poly bushing Master Kit...