C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

U-Joints

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2001, 06:04 PM
devilfish
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

going to change them. What do i need, and how do I do it?
Is it hard?

REGARDS

Old 07-29-2001, 06:51 PM
BBA
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't use Brute force joints.
Old 07-29-2001, 07:07 PM
Shayne
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BBA are you saying that Btute Force is not better then stock....I mean If you had a choice between stock and Brute Force you would go with stock.....I heard one person say they boke them...but that was at a track.

devilfish I know not how to change them...but was told you need half a day to do it.....sounds like it is a toughy.
Might be good to do the research and find out what else you can do at the same time while all that is apart.

Maybe we should run a poll today...I need to do mine also and do not want to make a mistake in my purchase.
Old 07-29-2001, 09:33 PM
Thumper
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In II Veteran

1st--I would take stock over brute force. Everyone who I personally know who has put in brute force u-joints has broke them. I grenaded one last month in 3 places. Vette92 did a good post comparing brute force with spicer not to long ago, look here http://www.corvetteforum.cc/ubb/Foru...ML/008785.html

2nd-To change all 6 u-joins will definately take the better part of a day.

Old 07-29-2001, 10:17 PM
LouisBarton
Instructor

The local Chevy dealer quoted me $2000 parts and labor to replace the six joints.

Old 07-30-2001, 03:21 AM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Received 199 Likes on 128 Posts

I just did all six U joints on my '92. It wasn't too bad, but did take some time. Keep in mind that to do the driveshaft ones, you need to take off the exhaust from the cats back, so you'll probably need to get it up in the air. My U joints wouldn't press out with a bench vice, so I had to take them to a shop to have the old ones pressed out and the new ones pressed in. I'd plan on a couple half days, especially if you have to take them to a shop. I decided against using the Brute Force joints after I had it all apart so I had to order Spicers, and I did other maintenance while I was at it, but I had mine apart almost 3 weeks! Good luck!

Old 07-30-2001, 09:14 AM
O'Shark
Le Mans Master

That's interesting about the Brute Force brand. I had never heard of a failure until just now. I have them in my car and have beat on them pretty hard at the track and occasionally on the street too. With the 2.59 gears, the car hooks hard at the track but has never broken one.
Old 07-30-2001, 10:47 AM
Ruby6spd
Melting Slicks

give tom's differential a call I just got the forged u-joints with cold stabililized inner and outer axles for around 700... this combo will make your rear end bullit proof--

I also got the cold stabilized pinion yoke-- while your at it you can get some 4.10's

with all this you will be around 2000 if you also put new bearings and poly bushings..

but you have to do the work yourself-- I am currently in the middle of doing all this except for setting up the gears.. it is not a tough job .. but my car has been apart for the better part of two weeks..If i get some time this weekend it will be all put together and on the road...

Get notified of new replies

To U-Joints

Quick Reply: U-Joints