C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Instrument Cluster Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2001, 11:08 PM
tan85vet
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm new to this forum, because I just got my first vette, an 85, and theres a problem with the instrument cluster. When the car is off, the speedometer is black, the way its supposed to be, but the tach and center panel seem to be lit up, but only in the center, as if its burned in there. Also, when the car is on it is very hard to read the tach and the mpg and coolant temp gauges, but the speedometer is fine. Is there anyway i can fix this myself, or do I have to send it in for repair to ecklers? If anybody has any information on this subject, it would really help.
Old 07-29-2001, 11:28 PM
redvettefreek
Intermediate

tan85, I'm also I new Vette owner (84 4+3)also and you are definintly at the right spot to get your question answered.. this board is great. From what I gather about the digial cluster, they will go out, I guess they lose something...go figure. I believe there is a site called vettetronics.com that can help. I dont have enough experience with C4's just yet to tell you exactly what is wrong however I do have the shop manual, volt meter and the corvetteforum.com to help...good luck !
Old 07-29-2001, 11:46 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

There are 4 lamps that back illuminate the liquid crystal displays. If any lamps are not working, it is very difficult to see the gauge. The lamps are replaceable by removing the bezel. Each lamp has a metal cover over them and after removing the bezel, and with the ignition on, you can see which lamp is out. More info is available from the site:
batee@umr.edu
Old 07-30-2001, 04:37 AM
Shayne
Pro

dont know how much Ecklers is but Im sending mine here...unless of course your place is cheaper...or has a better warrenty...email me and let me know...

http://www.corvettedashclusterservice.com/

Old 07-30-2001, 09:07 AM
nobodyunknown
Drifting

Want to try it yourself first?What have you to lose?Its already broke.
http://batee.cc.umr.edu/corvette/
Old 07-30-2001, 12:33 PM
Hendej
Pro

Welcome to the forum, Tan85.

the speedometer is black, the way its supposed to be, but the tach and center panel seem to be lit up, but only in the center
This suggests that the LCD panel itself is broken. Check the back lights if you want, but I don't think that's the problem. Replacement of the LCD requires complete disassembly of the unit, and the panels are getting scarce. If you go this route, the batee site already mentioned will guide you. Corvette Shanty or other salvage may have replacements. No clue whether the rebuilders consider this rebuildable. Sometimes a complete dash is available on ebay.

Get notified of new replies

To Instrument Cluster Problem

Quick Reply: Instrument Cluster Problem