C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Air tubes on LT headers

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 11:13 PM
mikey whipreck
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Air tubes on LT headers

On my 1985 L98...
I know what headers i want to get, however they come without the air tube hookups.
I don't think I want to remove the air tubes, because, if I understand this correctly, I would have to remove the EGR system? (or am I wrong?)

So I was thinking of two options...
Leave the air tubes where they are, after cutting them off from the stock manifold...
Do some custom welding at get the stock air tubes welded onto the new headers (done before ceramic coating)...

any opinions?

Does anyone have non-funtioning air tubes on their Vette?
Old 11-03-2004, 11:29 PM
Jloshotz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey whipreck
On my 1985 L98...
I know what headers i want to get, however they come without the air tube hookups.
I don't think I want to remove the air tubes, because, if I understand this correctly, I would have to remove the EGR system? (or am I wrong?)

So I was thinking of two options...
Leave the air tubes where they are, after cutting them off from the stock manifold...
Do some custom welding at get the stock air tubes welded onto the new headers (done before ceramic coating)...

any opinions?

Does anyone have non-funtioning air tubes on their Vette?

Mickey,
Probably not very helpful, but before i got into my Corvette hobby, i owned a 1991 Z28 and i purchaed a set of Long tubes with the a.i.r. provisions fron SLP and it came out quite nicely. I couldn't actually believe that the tubes came out of the OEM manifolds so easily. It actually looked pretty cool, it kind of matched with the runners and all. (they were stock obviously) I am still yet to even research getting LT's for my vette but i'm sure I will. You probably have researched this well by now, but i figured i'd just throw this out. Does SLP even make headers for our applications? I think i paid aroud 5 bills for the ones on the F-Car. Plus all the EGR stuff can stay in tact.just curious if you checked that avenue

:
Old 11-04-2004, 11:08 AM
mikey whipreck
Melting Slicks

bump
Old 11-04-2004, 04:22 PM
mikey whipreck
Melting Slicks

anyone?
Old 11-04-2004, 04:28 PM
vsocks
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My understanding is that the EGR is seperate from the air tubes. I thought you could eliminate the air tubes and keep the EGR if you wanted to. At least this is from my memory of my 84, I removed both some time ago so it is hard to remember.
Old 11-04-2004, 04:56 PM
mikey whipreck
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vsocks
My understanding is that the EGR is seperate from the air tubes. I thought you could eliminate the air tubes and keep the EGR if you wanted to. At least this is from my memory of my 84, I removed both some time ago so it is hard to remember.
Oh... then I guess I dont understand their air tubes...

Guess I need to read my manual more thouroughly
Old 11-04-2004, 09:52 PM
TIMSPEED
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me guess..you want the Heddman's right? The hooker super comp's come with the appropriate smog hookups.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:27 PM
mikey whipreck
Melting Slicks

double post...oops

Last edited by mikey whipreck; 11-05-2004 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:29 PM
mikey whipreck
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TIMSPEED
Let me guess..you want the Heddman's right? The hooker super comp's come with the appropriate smog hookups.
hooker's are ...

I won't say what I'm getting...
Old 11-05-2004, 02:04 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Oh... then I guess I dont understand their air tubes...

Guess I need to read my manual more thouroughly
Good idea. The A.I.R system is independent of the EGR system. You'll understand better after some time with the manual. The iron headed C4s feed the exhaust gasses to the EGR valve, directly from the heads, through the intake manifold. Almost all the aluminum headed engines have a fitting on the right exhaust manifold that accepts a pipe to feed the EGR valve, directly from the exhaust manifold. The "non-EGR" ready headers work fine on an iron headed engine. If the headers are totally "non-emissions", you will have to either weld in an O2 bung, or use collectors that accept an O2. The A.I.R tubes are another decision.
Hooker, 2149's are ceramic coated smog compliant 1984-1991) headers. Hooker, 2151's are the same headers, uncoated with no smog provisions. Hooker, 2151-1's are coated 2151's.

RACE ON!!!
Old 11-05-2004, 05:03 PM
TIMSPEED
Le Mans Master

hooker's are crap...
I won't say what I'm getting...
Uhh.... The Hookers are the most beautiful headers I've seen. They're 100x better than ANY heddman. The hookers are pricey, but they're definately worth the price...I just wished Hooker would give them an E.O.#
Old 11-05-2004, 06:58 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Uhh.... The Hookers are the most beautiful headers I've seen. They're 100x better than ANY heddman. The hookers are pricey, but they're definately worth the price...I just wished Hooker would give them an E.O.#
Haven't seen a lot of headers? "100x better than Heddman"??? That's a bold statement. They may be pretty, but they're too big for 90% of the C4 owners that buy them.

RACE ON!!!
Old 11-05-2004, 09:33 PM
mikey whipreck
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
Haven't seen a lot of headers? "100x better than Heddman"??? That's a bold statement. They may be pretty, but they're too big for 90% of the C4 owners that buy them.

RACE ON!!!
You heard em, it doesn't matter that their too big, don't fit, or are of poor quality (Due to the previous items, and the poor components that come with them). They look good that's all that matters.
Old 11-06-2004, 01:38 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

"But Andy...It's da chrome dat makes it go!"
Old 11-06-2004, 09:12 PM
93LT1
Pro

I've had the Long tube Hookers headers for over 4 years. The ground clearance is excellent. No problems. Excellent PWR gains.

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI

RACE ON!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Air tubes on LT headers

Quick Reply: Air tubes on LT headers