C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Bad Bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 08:30 AM
vettnatic86
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bad Bearing?

Hello everyone, i've been reading about all the great performance mod's we can do to our cars and would like to thank everyone for the great idea's. I think I may have a rear wheel bearing (right rear) going bad and was wondering if someone could give me an idea as to the symptoms and or visual ques to look for. I noticed a squeaking/ scrubbing noise that would come and go at intermittent times yesterday. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:16 AM
ittlfly
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Jack up the R/R and grab the tire at 6 &12 o'clock location. Try to rock the tire in and out. Movement there would incicate a bad bearing. Also, check the u-joint by applying pressure with a screw driver at its trunion. There shouldn't be any movement there either.
Good luck.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:22 AM
vettnatic86
Drifting

I appreciate the info.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:26 AM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by ittlfly
Jack up the R/R and grab the tire at 6 &12 o'clock location. Try to rock the tire in and out. Movement there would incicate a bad bearing. Also, check the u-joint by applying pressure with a screw driver at its trunion. There shouldn't be any movement there either.
Good luck.
This is right on. The noise that comes and goes is often a u joint. Sometimes it looks good until you actually get the shaft out. Also if the wheelbearing is the problem, its a do-able job. I just did one 4 weeks ago.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:56 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You really only have to remove 6 nuts and 5 bolts per side. I just did this last night. We had the driver's side done in about an hour. For whatever reason the passenger side took a lot longer.

The worst part about the whole job is that sometimes you can get a ratchet on the bolt but you don't have enough room to actually turn it and break it loose, very annoying.
Old 11-25-2004, 11:30 AM
vettnatic86
Drifting

I went out and checked for freeplay in the wheel bearing and there was none, "whew" so i'm gonna start looking at the u-joints as I noticed a bit of popping when first pulling out of the driveway. Thanks guy's.
Old 11-25-2004, 11:51 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

A popping noise could also be an indicator of a slightly loose torque arm. Take it out on and give it a pretty heavy amount of throttle and watch the shifter. If it moves any significant amount you need to tighten the torque arm.

Mine go so loose one time that at wide open throttle the trans would come up and hit the bottom of the car!

Get notified of new replies

To Bad Bearing?

Quick Reply: Bad Bearing?