C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Oh no....!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 11:06 AM
BlackonBlack
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oh no....!

Can someone explain.....my car (94 auto LT1) will just die, it will be sitting in the garage idle-ing(sp) and will die. Its almost like someone turned the key off. I got codes 16 and the knock sensor code. I have changed the opti three times already, and hope that it is not the opti again! ........anythoughts?
Old 11-25-2004, 11:33 AM
sraft
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked the crankshaft sensor? The signal is tied into the fuel pump relay. One would think that this should give an error code.
Old 11-25-2004, 08:36 PM
BlackonBlack
Instructor

Originally Posted by sraft
Have you checked the crankshaft sensor? The signal is tied into the fuel pump relay. One would think that this should give an error code.
Ok...so tell me about a crankshaft sensor! I am not familiar with that one....where is it located? What is it connected to?

any more thoughts about code 16? If it is the Opti again I am ready for plan B!! Delteq?
Old 11-25-2004, 08:43 PM
jackdaroofer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by BlackonBlack
Can someone explain.....my car (94 auto LT1) will just die, it will be sitting in the garage idle-ing(sp) and will die. Its almost like someone turned the key off. I got codes 16 and the knock sensor code. I have changed the opti three times already, and hope that it is not the opti again! ........anythoughts?
Don't know much (actually anything) about LT1's, but engines are emgines!

Sounds like a fuel problem
Old 11-25-2004, 08:54 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Damn Elves
Old 11-25-2004, 09:04 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sraft
Your car doesn't have a crank sensor so no need to worry about that. Code 16 is the low resolution sensor failure which is in the opti unit. Check the harness conection at the opti and also at the other end of the short jumper harness from the opti to the main harness. If there is any corrosion there, it can cause this problem. Also double check the continuity of the connections between the opti connector and the PCM harness connectors. If this is all OK then it is the opti unit
Old 11-25-2004, 09:09 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by tjwong
Your car doesn't have a crank sensor so no need to worry about that. Code 16 is the low resolution sensor failure which is in the opti unit. Check the harness conection at the opti and also at the other end of the short jumper harness from the opti to the main harness. If there is any corrosion there, it can cause this problem. Also double check the continuity of the connections between the opti connector and the PCM harness connectors. If this is all OK then it is the opti unit
yup. what he said.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:07 PM
BlackonBlack
Instructor

Originally Posted by tjwong
That is not exactly what I wanted to hear...haha Will check out the connections in the morning.....We have been through this Opti-Spark replacement 3 times now....What are your thoughts on the Delteq system and others???

BlackonBlack
Old 11-26-2004, 06:25 AM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would try the LT4 vacum conversion about 30 dollars from chevy.
I would check that water pump.
To go through 3 on a 94 is alot I have 90 thou miles on mine and blow nitrous and drive it hard and only replaced it once at 70 thou.
I did do the conversion.
Old 11-26-2004, 10:36 AM
ddsovy
Instructor

On my 89 I had similar problems, my fix turned out to be the computer.

Get notified of new replies

To Oh no....!

Quick Reply: Oh no....!