C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Roots Blower on an LT1

Old 12-17-2004, 12:13 PM
mn_vette
CF Senior Member

Default Roots Blower on an LT1

Here's something I found on one of the other sites, maybe you guys will find it interesting too. It says for sale on the top of the page $1800

Custom setup looks pretty cool.

http://keli.ncula.org/eaton.htm
Old 12-17-2004, 02:30 PM
Timmy!
CF Senior Member

Definitely have never seen one of those before! I always wondered why there wasn't a roots setup for the LT1's and now I can see why - their target audience (F-Body's) would have to do a lot of modification to get that system to fit.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:54 PM
STL94LT1
CF Senior Member

Default Eaton M112

Hmmmmm, I have a spare M112 sitting in the garage.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:08 AM
Strick
CF Senior Member

This doesn't sound like a production item. It seems like a homemade one of a kind.

I'd love to have a Magnacharger on my C4.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:24 AM
tjwong
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Strick
This doesn't sound like a production item. It seems like a homemade one of a kind.

I'd love to have a Magnacharger on my C4.

Magnacharger does make a SBC version. But not anything for the LT1. It appears that this guy did a fair job at building a intake to adapt the Lightning blower to it. However it won't fit our C4s but as with anything a little ingenuity goes a long way. Just goes to show you that it can be done.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:05 PM
Timmy!
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by tjwong
Magnacharger does make a SBC version. But not anything for the LT1. It appears that this guy did a fair job at building a intake to adapt the Lightning blower to it. However it won't fit our C4s but as with anything a little ingenuity goes a long way. Just goes to show you that it can be done.
I think a kit could be made for the C4 but it would have to be like the C5 kit with the blower turned 180 degrees.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:11 PM
BrianCunningham
CF Senior Member

You could mount it like a Vortec, and then pipe it over.
Kinda like a Blower Bentley.

You'd get a flatter boost curve with a roots, more boost at mid range.

BTW front mounted roots blowers where how some of the original dragsters mounted them.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:20 AM
tjwong
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Timmy!
I think a kit could be made for the C4 but it would have to be like the C5 kit with the blower turned 180 degrees.
It is possible. It will take a custom manifold and some custom bracketry to do it. I asked Magnason when I met them at SEMA, but they like many other OEMs and bean counters. They tend to look at demand for such a product. While we can all think that there would be a high demand for such a product, they may not. I also met the DART and World products people and inquired if they would ever consider casting a LT1 block with the same demensions as their little M block so that us Ltx owners could build a big cubic inch motor. Basically I got the same answers, it seems that us LTx owners got left in the dust
Old 12-21-2004, 10:55 AM
Timmy!
CF Senior Member

Yep that's what I figured. The LTx block was only made for what, like 5 years (92-97)? Not the same demand as the other blocks and setups.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:33 PM
snoopdan
CF Senior Member

Ok that blower setup is insane and exactly what I would have done. The pipe from the throtle body is a easy build at a machine shop - I myself have done a similar fab for an entirely different project at Texas A&M's department of Physics metal shop (shhh no one noticed me after work making stuff) I know with a little planning all that stuff can be fabbed to fit. I just dig this guy's tenaciaty in getting it done. Even making the intake and throtle body ram could be done by phelonic materials. Ok, im thinking out loud. That design got me wondering what I can cook up for my 86. I guess the most limiting factor would be where to get a cheap blower from. ok it would proabably make more sense just to buy it from the guy. I'd hack on my hood for braggin rights on that!

snoopdan
Old 01-08-2005, 04:40 AM
BrianCunningham
CF Senior Member

This in Magnacharger's old supercharger setup for the SB chevy, non-LT1/4, though you could get it to work on an LT1/4 if you relocated the injectors. And I have seen it mounted on a C4 Corvette, as a matter of fact there used to be a kit. Since the blowers take the air/fuel in from the sides it fit under the stock hood.

It's basically two roots blowers angled at each other.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:55 AM
STL94LT1
CF Senior Member

Default Lightning Blower

Originally Posted by snoopdan
I guess the most limiting factor would be where to get a cheap blower from.

snoopdan
I've got a low mileage Eaton M112 that I would sell for $400/shipped.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:23 PM
Light84vette
CF Senior Member

How much displacment does the M112 push out per revolution? Also how fast can it be spun, 1 crank rev = 2 supercharger revs? Definately some DIY fabbing, either milling it or doing that old fashion way with a grinder and cut off wheel.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Roots Blower on an LT1

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: