C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

What's the going price?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 08:32 PM
C1ANDZR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ZR-71,

I totally agree with you that it is a fact that ZR-1 prices are not great now, and there are some deals out there, but calling someone an "***" for paying over 18K for a 90' regardless of mileage, color, or condition is hardly being helpful.

Jason
Old 10-21-2007, 08:54 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by C1ANDZR1
It's comments like this that continue to perpetuate the price slide in the ZR-1 market. You never see the Grand Sport or even Buick Grand National guys poor mouthing about how their cars aren't worth or will never be worth anything. That is probably why a nice '87 GN will bring similar money than a equal mileage '90 Z even though the Z is much more car (I have had 3 '87 low mile GN's, so I know). If we as ZR-1 owners continue to downplay our cars, what does that say to others who are looking to possibly own one of these cars and join this community?

As far as value goes, I don't really care if my car is ever "worth anything one day" or not, I just don't understand why some of the very people who own these cars continue to verbally throw them under the bus every chance they get.

Please don't attack me, its just my opinion.

Jason
Heaven's no - why would anyone attack you? You're such an innocent young man.

Step into reality - C4s are dropping like stones. Period. Facts are facts. Grand Sports aren't excluded. The only thing that the Grand Sport has going for it is that the production numbers are relatively low, AND it is readily distinguishable from other C4s. ZR-1s are NOT readily distinguishable by the average joe. It has massively affected the value of these cars in the short term. I never commented on the future value of the Zs. If you really want to bitch about Z owners, bitch to the huge number of original owners who have long sold their cars to jump into the next best thing.

This thread isn't about the future value of the car - it is about one fellow who wants to buy one right now. I stand by my original comments. You love your car? Congratulations.
You don't care about future value. Great. Neither do I. Problem is: your comments seem to indicate that you GREATLY care about the present and future value of the car - so the extent that you feel the need to attack comments that the current market is depressed. I'm not big into bullsh!t - I just tell it like it is. There must be a Toyota Prius forum to work on political correctness - maybe a good idea?
Old 10-21-2007, 09:06 PM
RED-85-Z51
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DDSLT5

Step into reality - C4s are dropping like stones. Period. Facts are facts. Grand Sports aren't excluded. The only thing that the Grand Sport has going for it is that the production numbers are relatively low, AND it is readily distinguishable from other C4s. ZR-1s are NOT readily distinguishable by the average joe. It has massively affected the value of these cars in the short term. I never commented on the future value of the Zs. If you really want to bitch about Z owners, bitch to the huge number of original owners who have long sold their cars to jump into the next best thing.

This thread isn't about the future value of the car - it is about one fellow who wants to buy one right now. I stand by my original comments. You love your car? Congratulations.
You don't care about future value. Great. Neither do I. Problem is: your comments seem to indicate that you GREATLY care about the present and future value of the car - so the extent that you feel the need to attack comments that the current market is depressed. I'm not big into bullsh!t - I just tell it like it is. There must be a Toyota Prius forum to work on political correctness - maybe a good idea?
I expect to be dropping cash by next 4th of July...so its not like Im going to be getting one next week. Im going to really do my homework over the next 6-8 months, and make sure Im fully prepared to buy and care for the car, and make sure it is what will work for me. Ive got to figure in a susbstantial jump in Insurance, going from Liability on an 85 vette, to Full coverage on a ZR1...so thats just something else to plan for finanacially. Right now it is 100 dollars a month for my car.

Saving will go slow until about March of next year, when this new job really takes off, suddenly. I mean, we are talking 850-1000 a week! Not alot to some, but ti me, it's this huge amazing figure, so much more than Ive been making working on my own.

But Im firm on what I want, it's waht Ive wanted since I first learned of "The king". a 1990, Red, with Saddle Beige interior.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:17 PM
WydGlydJim
Team Owner

Received 296 Likes on 141 Posts

I'd be very careful about getting a Z. You'll become a fat, bald, non driving, elitist, very quickly, and at your age that wouldn't be pretty!

Do it; it'll be the most fun you've had in a vehicle, and the cars a very special!
Old 10-21-2007, 09:34 PM
C1ANDZR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DDSLT5

I'm sorry I even commented to begin with....I'm not going to get into an argument, that is not what I joined this forum for. And by the way, I am not a fan of Toyotas or political correctness.

Jason
Old 10-22-2007, 06:59 AM
tomtom72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'19, '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by RED-85-Z51
375hp is a considerable jump when to this point in my life, 230hp is all Ive had on tap.

The interstates are heavily patrolled, highway quality is sub par. Only place to safely open it up is the Auto-X course in town, and i nthe next town over is a 1/4 mile strip.

How would a '90 do on an auto-x course?

375 is plenty enough to get me in a world of trouble, and again, the only immediate mods I have planned is a Corsa Exhaust, maybe a Chip at some point.

I dont do alot of aggressive driving, honestly. I do the occasional burnout...but Ive gotten 37K miles out of a set of Kuhmo 712's...
Red,

I came from 25 yrs of daily driver cars, nothing more than 200 hp, to buy my Z in 12/04. I can tell you that even with the key off I sat up & noticed the "new power" that I had purchased.....with the key on I thought my Z was the best thing since sliced bread!

BUT....three yrs & 20,000 miles later.....it still gets it dunn, however now I'm used to it and it's not as quick as I once thought it was....because it's stock...so now I'm gonna take a head long dive into the money pit of modding an LT5. Oh, just to qualify myself a bit. This is only the second vette I've ever driven/owned. My first was a 72 LT-1 that was "massaged" to pre- EPA LT-1 standards. Trust me when I say look for a Z that has been dunn by the P. O., it will save you a ton of $$ in the long run. JMHO.

Don't know anything about Auto-X. Barbara S has a thread about her A-X experience with her Z...I know there are a few other guys here that A-X their Z's and they could proly throw some light your way.

Oh yea, the roads ain't none too good where I live in the NYC/Metro area....and the LEO's don't have much of a sense of humor either!

Tom
Old 10-22-2007, 12:21 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by RED-85-Z51
375hp is a considerable jump when to this point in my life, 230hp is all Ive had on tap
Dont worry, youll get used to this pretty quick too espcially if its a daily driver youll want more. If I drive mine 1-2x a month it feels quick for a few minutes, then Im wishing I had plenty more. Totally different animal than your Z51 which IMO may feel a little stiffer and light on its feet in comparison to the Z. I dont think youll care once you start driving it though.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:37 PM
djpatrick35
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I just bought my '90 black on black car with 43,000 on the clock for $21,000. I paid a little more because I got it at a dealership, but they fixed a lot of stuff before I took delivery on the car.

But, it's all worth it because I've got a Z in the garage! Oh, and sitting next to my fiance's 2007 Convertible... I nearly cry with joy every day!
Old 10-22-2007, 08:41 PM
RED-85-Z51
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My old '85 still puts a smile on my face when I stand on the gas pedal and the engine spins up to 6K in first, then slams into 2nd and breaks the back end sideways about a foot

The car, even in the sad shape it's in still gets nods from fellow motorists, and the Targa mufflers, and gutted cat, Borla front and rear Y's...it has a noticeable growl at idle, and just flat turns heads when I get in it.

But 230hp can only do so much for ya. I mean, I love the car, I can see myself always having some sort of C4, the car is just dead sexy.

Quick Reply: What's the going price?