C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

my z and nagging problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 08:28 PM
drd21968
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Default my z and nagging problems

just got my zr1 out of the shop a few days ago .shop repaired vacum leak under plenum ,new plugs,wires,new starter since some times it would not start.had a problem when i first picked it up but they corrected it and the car ran great, better than it ever has.take it out tonight and no start,gave two teen agers 5 bucks to push start me.well at least i thaugt its running right when it start chugging in 6th gear at about eighty on interstate.the no start has got to be the start enable relay,am i right.but the chugging and even a little backfire once, i really dont know. my wife has a new c6 and im taking a beating from her over my z .she has been with me twice of the four no starts.i have got to get it fixed before she catches me out and wants to race.she has done it before,ten years ago she smoked my 86 vett with a ls1 camaro,it forced me to buy a 96 lt4.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:07 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by don donahue
Just got my zr1 out of the shop a few days ago. The shop repaired vacum leak under plenum ,new plugs,wires,new starter since some times it would not start. Had a problem when I first picked it up but they corrected it and the car ran great, better than it ever has. Take it out tonight and no start,gave two teen agers 5 bucks to push start me, well at least I thaught it was running right when it start chugging in 6th gear at about eighty on interstate. The no start has got to be the starter enable relay, am I right? But the chugging and even a little backfire once, I really dont know.
The lack of smoothness in 6th gear will probably be a injector issue. But it could be something as simple as spark going away in a cylinder. But yes, the no start condition is probably the relay. It's up underneath the dash. Easy access.

My wife has a new c6 and im taking a beating from her over my z. She has been with me twice of the four no starts. I have got to get it fixed before she catches me out and wants to race. She has done it before, ten years ago she smoked my 86 vett with a ls1 camaro, it forced me to buy a 96 lt4.
Quuite giving your wife the newer rides. Besides, shouldn't she be in a minivan :
Old 11-09-2007, 09:07 PM
_twisted_
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds like your a candidate for the relay trick that was mentioned in the other thread this week.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:37 PM
drd21968
Pro

thanks jeff i know you have a lot of experience with these cars.i put plugs in this car 3 months ago and when it was in shop they changed plugs and said a few were loose and a couple looked hair line cracked at the base.are there seating issues with these plugs i dont know about? thanks i have the relay, installing it tom. she hates mini vans but she has a suv for a kid hauler
Old 11-09-2007, 10:28 PM
lgaff
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Winner -- Modified
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Winner

What is your fuel pressure at the rail?

LGAFF
92 ZR1
Old 11-09-2007, 11:36 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffvette
The lack of smoothness in 6th gear will probably be a injector issue.
Sadly this maybe true it was for me
Old 11-10-2007, 12:43 AM
drd21968
Pro

how do you test them, car is not throwing a code or engine light.are primaries and secondaries the same.are they just standard 21 lb injectors? only 30k on my clock is it common to fail this soon . i hope thats not it ,if it is what are some injector options and prices? i like my car but it has been expensive lately .but i want to get it right i plan to keep it thanks for the help
Old 11-10-2007, 01:22 AM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how do you test them,9
DVM

car is not throwing a code or engine light.
And not showing a code does not mean somthing is not wrong.

are primaries and secondaries the same.are they just standard 21 lb injectors?
They are the same flow rate. But the clips are different. You need to cut the tabs off of the primary injector

only 30k on my clock is it common to fail this soon . i hope thats not it
Doesn't matter the mileage. Letting them sit is worse.

if it is what are some injector options and prices?
Stock - Around 1,000 (good guy price)
RC's - Around 960.00
Accel 150121 - 600.00

i like my car but it has been expensive lately .but i want to get it right i plan to keep it thanks for the help
It's worth it when everything is clicking.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:31 AM
drd21968
Pro

thanks,i have a good fluke meter, but if i am there i may as well just change them .arent the 90 and 91 injectors faulty ,isnt it better to upgrade?
Old 11-10-2007, 10:00 AM
turbo-max
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks,i have a good fluke meter, but if i am there i may as well just change them .arent the 90 and 91 injectors faulty ,isnt it better to upgrade?
aren't upgrades "always" better?

Get notified of new replies

To my z and nagging problems

Quick Reply: my z and nagging problems