C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

radio-antenna-ignition relationship?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 04:57 AM
dallas916
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default radio-antenna-ignition relationship?

During this time while my Z is intermittently running rough I turned on the radio last time I moved it...and nothing happened. No antenna, and no radio power. I haven't checked the fuses yet because the car is sitting under 3 covers and it's a royal pain to take them all off and put them back. Is there some relationship between the radio/antenna and the ignition system that could be causing my rough idle and lack of power?
Old 03-07-2010, 08:20 AM
tomtom72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'19, '21-'22-'23-'24

The only common link between the radio and the ignition system that I can think of is the wire that carries the tachometer signal. You know the stock radio has that automatic volume adjust feature? I'm almost positive that that system operates using an input that carries the rpm signal to the radio head unit. The only other way I can see that system operating is if it gets the VSS signal, but I still think it's the tach signal that is it's information source.

Okay, that said, if that wire had a chaff somewhere and could short against metal, I would think that it would sort out the ignition system during the contact with metal.....but that's a really long leap of faith. Something I find almost impossible to believe.

I would rather look else where for the source of the rough running motor. JMHO. Maybe the coils or the O2 sensors or something along the lines of fuel delivery. Does it seem to be a lean or a rich condition while it's running rough?

Tom
Old 03-09-2010, 10:51 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 101 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by tomtom72
The only common link between the radio and the ignition system that I can think of is the wire that carries the tachometer signal. You know the stock radio has that automatic volume adjust feature? I'm almost positive that that system operates using an input that carries the rpm signal to the radio head unit. The only other way I can see that system operating is if it gets the VSS signal, but I still think it's the tach signal that is it's information source.

Okay, that said, if that wire had a chaff somewhere and could short against metal, I would think that it would sort out the ignition system during the contact with metal.....but that's a really long leap of faith. Something I find almost impossible to believe.

I would rather look else where for the source of the rough running motor. JMHO. Maybe the coils or the O2 sensors or something along the lines of fuel delivery. Does it seem to be a lean or a rich condition while it's running rough?

Tom
Thats correct Tom it ties into the VSS or Varible Speed Sensor. That wire is part of the factory radio harness where it plugs into the radio. I tied into that when I installed my Nav unit and its the Brown with a forrest green stripe wire on my 91 according to the redbook I beleive it receives the pulse count from the transmission. As to the power to the rear antenna if no power is coming from the Bose brain that may be the issue as well as the radio must be powered to raise the antenna. Check the fuse first since your getting Zero power. This could be an independent issue seperate from your ignition problem.

Last edited by Goldcylon; 03-09-2010 at 10:55 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To radio-antenna-ignition relationship?

Quick Reply: radio-antenna-ignition relationship?