C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

thoughts on this Z

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 12:25 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Looks decent. have somebody check it out for you
Old 05-20-2010, 12:28 AM
JetJock
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LT5corsa
If anyone is really interested and needs somebody to look at this, let me know.

It's about a 2 to 2.5hr trip and would be happy to do it for a Z brother!

David
You da man, David!!! I loved your car at BWG. All it needs is a big white stripe and it's a skunk car!

Old 05-20-2010, 12:31 AM
JetJock
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zipnz
David, that would be fantastic if you could inspect this car for me. We are down to talking serious numbers- I'm looking to trade him my X5 for the Z. I really would rather not spend the cash to fly to PA if I don't have to. Having a Z brother look at it might just close the deal if it turns out to be a decent car. LMK, thanks!
Paul
Hey, dude if you are serious about the car, I could fly you up to look at it and it wouldn't cost that much. I can't say how much yet but it would be really cheap airfare.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:15 AM
dallas916
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great color!

"project car" can mean $2000 or $10,000 in necessary work. A full clutch assembly replacement is easily run a few thousand at a shop. The rest depends on whether the critical or age-dependent stuff has ever been replaced.

I see it has a different shifter...and black seats. I thought all those red ones came with red or tan interiors.

A good start, though from the faraway pics.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:45 AM
LT5corsa
1994 Admiral Blue ZZZZZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 41 Posts
Northeast Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

David, that would be fantastic if you could inspect this car for me. We are down to talking serious numbers- I'm looking to trade him my X5 for the Z. I really would rather not spend the cash to fly to PA if I don't have to. Having a Z brother look at it might just close the deal if it turns out to be a decent car. LMK, thanks!
Paul
Paul,

PM sent

David
Old 05-20-2010, 07:53 AM
ZRWHAT
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a bargain until you add everything up that you know its gonna need, (ask me how I know)

So far, heres what its gonna need: A clutch, gonna need new tires all the way around, tack on another 1.5-2K or more for these alone unless you don't mind getting your hands dirty and have the means to do it.

The unknown is whats so scarey!

Clutch-if clutch is cooked, may possibly need a new flywheel, not cheap by any means for a dual mass.

Is the trans OK-unknown

Suspension-unknown

If tires are gone, probably going to need brakes-another unknown.

Exhaust? Looks like Triflow, could be almost anything. Will it pass state emissions testing?

Any codes showing up on the DIC

Already know the paint is weak-probably the first most expensive fix followed by the clutch.

Good price until you start adding up what it might take to whip it back into shape, what's it worth once back into shape? Where is the market for a 80k mile ZR-1 and how much will it take to straighten this one out?

Might very well be a diamond in the rough.

Lots of nice cars out there right now without issues for really good prices.

Good luck to whoever buys this one, been for sale for quite a long time, can't imagine why....
Old 05-20-2010, 06:44 PM
dallas916
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is that one of those car dealers with the offices in a trailer?

Ummmmmm...assume no kind of warranties.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:11 AM
traveller
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

There is plenty of us WAZOO guys not far from that car. I'm only 30-40 minutes from there. We would be happy to get a few guys to check it out for your. Let us know if we can help.

Darrin
Old 05-21-2010, 08:17 AM
secondchance
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by bb62
Doesn't the single acceleration cable make the car a 405HP car and thus a '93?
Keen eyes!
Old 05-21-2010, 05:19 PM
ZRWHAT
Drifting

Paul
I looked at the car in question and if you want a detailed description, call me, I don't want to put this out there in public.

Gibby

703 999-8471

Last edited by ZRWHAT; 05-21-2010 at 06:23 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:17 PM
drd21968
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ZRWHAT
Paul
I looked at the car in question and if you want a detailed description, call me, I don't want to put this out there in public.

Gibby

703 999-8471
can you tell us more ,i am semi intrested in car and would love to hear your opinion .you are among friends here
Old 05-21-2010, 09:40 PM
illenema
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been talking with Hal there extensively about this car. A few descriptive highlights in Hal's words:

1. Hal says that this would be a good "project car" (whatever that means)
2. Clutch is almost gone
3. Antenna mast is inop
4. Definitely needs 4 new tires (fronts are new, but incorrect size. rears are bald)
5. Paint on rear deck area is faded
6. A/C works good

He also said that the lot owner would rather me to fly up there and inspect the car personally before he would be comfortable selling it and shipping to Texas. I'm still going back and forth with them. Good price though. Maybe you should jump on it before I do!
You call that a project car? Drive it.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:05 PM
LT5corsa
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by drd21968
can you tell us more ,i am semi intrested in car and would love to hear your opinion .you are among friends here
From what Gibby told me, I would pass....

If anyone is looking for a car, I know of one available that needs VERY minor work to be a great driver.

1991 Quasar Blue/Black ZR-1 67k miles aprox Goodyear F1 tires with 1k miles on them. Interior great condition. Both tops. Exterior very good, but minor brush with garage door (rear passenger side) Paint is in good condition otherwise.

Injectors failing.

Guy would like to get 16k to 18k, but my guess is he will settle for 13 to 14k.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:32 PM
ZRWHAT
Drifting

Well OK if you insist, Here goes:

Left quarter panel and door above beltline repainted, hood repainted, front bumper, clear dried up and flaking, paint cracking on front bumper also from parking lot type incident, 3 piece lower spoiler trashed, Right side gill panel cracked, extensive paint chips on top and sides of hood, must have a lot of paint since they are pretty deep.

Right side of car appears to be original paint, weathered very badly and chalking, chalking on left side below the belt line. Weatherstrip is toast, issues with all weatherstrip I looked at, 1 good window sweep, 1terrible windowsweep. Exhaust is B&B, way off kilter, tips rubbing on back bumper, pipes hanging down on right side.

No filler plate for the rear tag, no front license plate filler, front parking lenses peppered with rock chips.

Under hood extremly dirty and signs of oil seepage on some cam cover bolts, cut open lid with K&N, Exhaust tips covered in black soot inside and outside of the openings/tips, I mean sooted like a chimney! My guess would be injector replacement time.

Clutch releases very high, near the end of pedal travel. Motor did not exhibit any strange noises. Radio works, antenna does not. Smoked top has quite a few scratches, painted top faded.

245 40 17 front tires, dealer said they were new, they are not new but usable, just not on this car, they are balooned out... rears are GSC that are all cracked and rotted to hell, rear bumper cover clear chalking out. Hood would not open without much effort, gas assist hood prop must not be charged, took 2 hands to raise the hood, same with closing it.

Looking at the buildup of dirt on the sides of the fuel lid door, looks like it was sitting under some trees for a long period of time, lots of twigs and leaves under hatch weatherstrip, rear speaker covers look like the sun cooked them.

Car looks much nicer in the photos then in person, no real way to correct the failing paint other then a resquirt, tires are toast, weatherstrip very well done and crispy.

Drivers seat has been sprayed to cover up worn spots on bolster, seat bun looks like it has a wear spot (hole) from a wallet.

If I bought this car just by photos alone, I would kick myself, and hard.

It appears to have been ran hard and put away wet!

Other then that, its a nice car, NOT!

I love projects but this one I would walk away from unless the money dropped by about 3K or more, have no idea how it does on the road, I wouldn't drive it on the parking lot with the shape of the rear tires and the fronts were almost flat.

I had my camera but decided to not take pictures, I would have been there all day if I had.

It is a very well used car lot special......

I can now see why its still for sale and not sold yet, smokin price, just not for this car IMHO.

Other then that, its a keeper.....

Last edited by ZRWHAT; 05-21-2010 at 11:48 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:18 AM
MR.LT1
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Old 05-22-2010, 11:05 AM
drd21968
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

thank you for saving me a day out of my life for nothing.i owe you one.had planned on going to look at the car.if 8 to 9k wont buy it i am not intrested
Old 05-22-2010, 11:54 AM
LT5corsa
Support Corvetteforum!

thank you for saving me a day out of my life for nothing.i owe you one.had planned on going to look at the car.if 8 to 9k wont buy it i am not intrested
My guess is that 8 or 9k would buy it, but... Not worth it according to Gibby!

Get notified of new replies

To thoughts on this Z

Old 05-22-2010, 12:05 PM
ZRWHAT
Drifting

DRD, Looking back on my post it sounds like I'm bashing the car into the ground but in reality, these are the things I observed and I have been around and owned Corvettes since I was 16, I'm 55 now so not much gets past me, I'm on my second ZR-1 now, first one I bought was in 1996.

If anyone else has seen this car and dissagrees with what I posted, call me out on it, I'd be more then happy to reply.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:47 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Wow, great report!
Old 05-22-2010, 02:31 PM
ZRWHAT
Drifting

Originally Posted by LT5corsa
My guess is that 8 or 9k would buy it, but... Not worth it according to Gibby!
According to the dealer, they have close to 13K in the car and you know this is absolutly believeable since its coming from a used car salesman.....

Quick Reply: thoughts on this Z