C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

How to tell ZR1 prototype

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 07:53 AM
GS651
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One other comment too, this past year, Chevy sold a handful of 'prototypes' and factory mules at Barrett Jackson. NONE of those cars had a legit VIN and were sold with the stipulation that they could not be registered for the street IIRC.

To me, this alone tells me that this car in NV is not a real prototype and even if we do see a picture of the LT5, it could be a swap.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:36 AM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

It is a 1989 pilot (non ZR-1) with L98 as defined in the document I linked to a previous posting. A pilot can be sold if the mfg decides it meets EPA specs and has not been modified in some way that precludes its use in a consumer environment.

'NONE of those cars had a legit VIN and were sold with the stipulation that they could not be registered for the street IIRC.'

Not entirely true. Most of the ZR-1s had legit vins ie were not EXXXX cars, the EXXXX cars were the active suspension cars. ALL had P numbers but did in fact meet EPA regulations. The P numbers were GM only control numbers used to document information within GM.

The sale of 1989 ZR-1s from the Heritage Collection (BJ) included several ZR-1s with MSOs which enables the owner to register the car for use on the street. Eric has one (s/n 74). One was sold on a bill of sale (s/n 4 also belongs to Eric) and that one was also registered for street use.

Unless the mfg goes to the trouble of entering the vin in the national database as a Certificate of Destruction most states will issue a title on a bill of sale. Something GM did not do on all the cars sold in the auctions.

Tyler

Last edited by Tyler Townsley; 12-20-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:37 PM
Petro141
Cruising

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
Its even easier tp start a bogus thread and get people worked up.There is no mistaking an LT5 for any other motor.As fas as I know Mercury or Mercruiser was never attached to any ZR-1,anywhere.Just how long are you guys going to drag this out?
Jeff,

This is not a bogus thread, I apologize for wasting your time. I am simply not educated when it comes to Corvettes. I am working off of a memory of what I was told years ago, and what I saw one time years ago. I got the VIN and am working on getting pictures. It is not super important to me, I am just curious and thought this site looked like it had alot of good information. I do appreciate the info I have gotten so far from the other members, but if this is dragging out too long for you I do apologize.

Thanks,
John
Old 12-20-2010, 03:59 PM
rudolph schenker
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 134 Posts

Old 12-20-2010, 05:19 PM
GS651
Intermediate

It would be very cool to discover this car as something special!
Old 12-20-2010, 06:23 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by GS651
One other comment too, this past year, Chevy sold a handful of 'prototypes' and factory mules at Barrett Jackson. NONE of those cars had a legit VIN and were sold with the stipulation that they could not be registered for the street IIRC.

To me, this alone tells me that this car in NV is not a real prototype and even if we do see a picture of the LT5, it could be a swap.
Ill keep my comment to myself,already put my foot in my mouth once.I will say this much,I have NEVER heard of anybody putting an LT5 in a Corvette and trying to put one over.The numbers-paper work is out there for almost every pre 90 car produced.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:25 PM
GS651
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
Ill keep my comment to myself,already put my foot in my mouth once.I will say this much,I have NEVER heard of anybody putting an LT5 in a Corvette and trying to put one over.The numbers-paper work is out there for almost every pre 90 car produced.
Who knows it's origin. I HOPE it's something special! Then someone on here - or the OP - can spiff it up and have a piece of C4 history!
Old 12-21-2010, 11:15 PM
Petro141
Cruising

Originally Posted by Tyler Townsley
It is a 1989 pilot (non ZR-1) with L98 as defined in the document I linked to a previous posting. A pilot can be sold if the mfg decides it meets EPA specs and has not been modified in some way that precludes its use in a consumer environment.

'NONE of those cars had a legit VIN and were sold with the stipulation that they could not be registered for the street IIRC.'

Not entirely true. Most of the ZR-1s had legit vins ie were not EXXXX cars, the EXXXX cars were the active suspension cars. ALL had P numbers but did in fact meet EPA regulations. The P numbers were GM only control numbers used to document information within GM.

The sale of 1989 ZR-1s from the Heritage Collection (BJ) included several ZR-1s with MSOs which enables the owner to register the car for use on the street. Eric has one (s/n 74). One was sold on a bill of sale (s/n 4 also belongs to Eric) and that one was also registered for street use.

Unless the mfg goes to the trouble of entering the vin in the national database as a Certificate of Destruction most states will issue a title on a bill of sale. Something GM did not do on all the cars sold in the auctions.

Tyler
Tyler,

Thank You for all the great info you have provided. Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly in a Pilot car??

I know for a fact that this car has never had a motor swap, when I finally get pictures they will be exactly as it was when it was purchased.

Thanks Again for the help,
John
Old 12-22-2010, 12:44 AM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Petro141
Tyler,

Thank You for all the great info you have provided. Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly in a Pilot car??

I know for a fact that this car has never had a motor swap, when I finally get pictures they will be exactly as it was when it was purchased.

Thanks Again for the help,
John
A pilot car is one run down the production line to test the written instructions and equipment that will be used in a full production line. Many times they are mixed with the last years final production cars. I have an 88 prototype that was built In June 87 on the 87 production line.

In the lingo:
Prototype: This is a car with an EX in the vin number. These are cars built on the production line for engineering and test purposes and not intended for public release.

Mules: This is a car with mixed equipment built to test components in normal driving. These usually look like a normal production car but have new/different equipment installed by engineering AFTER being produced on the production line. They usually have production vins but are not intended public release.

Pilot Line car: These are cars assembled on the production line and are usually in final trim. They are then assigned to various GM divisions for testing, photo ops, training, executive drivers etc. Initially these units meet all safety and emission specs, have a production vin and can be sold to the public. Eric has 89 ZR-1 s/n 74 that was assigned to be used for promotion activites. These units usually have a GM decal with a PXXXX on the tag. Its color designates who it is assigned to and the P number was used by GM for control purposes. When you were assigned a car you were given a key with that number on the key chain so you could find the car in the lot.

Note the above was how it was done in 88-89-90 and may have changed.

Current prototypes have a full production vin with EX added to the end where as my 88 has a metal tag with EX5014 for a vin tag.

Tyler
Old 12-22-2010, 08:32 AM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyler Townsley
I guess I don't understand how to read that sheet? For 1989, it looks like all the L98 cars listed are below VIN 0060. But his is 9018.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:29 PM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Aurora40
I guess I don't understand how to read that sheet? For 1989, it looks like all the L98 cars listed are below VIN 0060. But his is 9018.
You are correct! For some reason I missed the 9 in the 9018. If that is fact the correct s/n then the car is a normal L98. Could the car be something specal? It could but he would have to get a copy of the build sheet which would note any internal GM instructions. I read it as 100018 which put it as a early development car.

Tyler
Old 12-26-2010, 09:40 PM
vette54728702
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

subscribed ! Sure would be cool if it turns out to be a pilot car though.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:02 AM
ZR-1DUDE
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 223 Posts

If I remember right the yellow 94 ZR-1 in the museum had C5 interior in it.

I thought it was a pilot, but might have been a legit VIN.

Anybody know?

D.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:10 AM
Petro141
Cruising

Should have pics 2day! Let me know what you want pictures of so I don't get accused of posting bogus pics.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:29 AM
VetteMed
Le Mans Master

Received 215 Likes on 142 Posts

Pics of engine, and pics of the sticker under the lid of the center console, that would be a good start
Old 03-16-2011, 01:01 PM
Petro141
Cruising

[QUOTE=Petro141;1575850093]I have always wondered if my Uncle is full of it or not.

As I suspected my uncle is full of it. I just got a picture of the engine from my brother, and it is a L98. I can text the picture to someone if they want to post it. If not, thank you all for the input and for satisfying my curiosity.

Thanks Again,

John
Old 03-16-2011, 04:00 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Hey, don't feel too bad. The fun is in the chase! Sometimes you win, sometimes you go on a wild goose chase. BUT.....what IF?????????

Get notified of new replies

To How to tell ZR1 prototype

Old 03-16-2011, 05:04 PM
VetteMed
Le Mans Master

Received 215 Likes on 142 Posts

heh, well at least the mystery is solved. Don't worry, your uncle isn't the first to believe that his L98 is some super-triple-secret-skunk works project car.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:12 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 172 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR-1DUDE
If I remember right the yellow 94 ZR-1 in the museum had C5 interior in it.

I thought it was a pilot, but might have been a legit VIN.

Anybody know?

D.
This one?

Sorry I don't have a VIN or any info
Old 03-16-2011, 08:58 PM
Polo-1
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I did not see that one at last years gathering. must be gone already?

Quick Reply: How to tell ZR1 prototype