C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

HELP!! Plenum 4CAM32VALVE lettering

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 09:53 PM
Need4Speed90
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LT5corsa
Ricky,

You saw that too.....

We are wheel ho's and interested to see them!

David
thanks for noticing haha they are o.z. italy racing series with michelin pilot sport sx tires..rear: 335/35/zr17, front:285/40/zr17
Old 03-04-2011, 09:54 PM
Need4Speed90
Advanced

Originally Posted by XLR8TIN
Looking good, young man
thank you sir!
Old 03-04-2011, 09:56 PM
Need4Speed90
Advanced

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Interesting, says in the vid the plenums were powdercoated then sprayed the letters, always thought the plenums were simply painted that grey color. Powdercoat wouldnt stain Id think?
exactly..thats one of the reasons i had to repaint it..it was being a pain because i couldnt clean it..such a pain if you ask me
Old 03-04-2011, 10:00 PM
Need4Speed90
Advanced

UPDATE: painted the plenum tonite and the lingenfelter paint is amazing..went on smooth, no runs, and the coverage is excelent
Old 03-04-2011, 10:29 PM
lbs90ZR
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman

Use fine camel hair brushes

P.

Although I couldn't miss much, cause solvents would mess up the grey paint, so it took a lot of hours for the cam covers and plenum. If I remember right, that camel hair was expensive, like 10 or 15 dollars.

Actually, all I did was prep the whole thing with acetone before the grey, no sanding. It's about 4 years old now.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:58 PM
rickyrj1
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4Speed90
thanks for noticing haha they are o.z. italy racing series with michelin pilot sport sx tires..rear: 335/35/zr17, front:285/40/zr17
Great to see a young blood enjoying his ZR-1. Spread the word to your freinds of what a great car you have, they could have one also for the price of a used Hyundai
Old 03-05-2011, 06:50 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by lbs90ZR
If I remember right, that camel hair was expensive, like 10 or 15 dollars.
$10-15? I happened to have some camel hair handy (left over from painting the ceilings in Italian churches) . But, I see no reason "whatever" hair, throw-away brushes from Wally World wouldn't work.

Justathought...

P.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:42 AM
lbs90ZR
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
$10-15? I happened to have some camel hair handy (left over from painting the ceilings in Italian churches) . But, I see no reason "whatever" hair, throw-away brushes from Wally World wouldn't work.

Justathought...

P.
Mine came from an automotive paint shop, so it probably cost more there. I still can't believe it worked though, since the brush is about 3/4inch wide when it is dry.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:31 AM
Need4Speed90
Advanced

Originally Posted by rickyrj1
Great to see a young blood enjoying his ZR-1. Spread the word to your freinds of what a great car you have, they could have one also for the price of a used Hyundai
it's very true..everyone always said i would choose my car over my girlfriend any day of the week haha..i love this car and my friends doo as well (although i almost gave my one friend a neck injury during a full throttle launch getting a 0-60 time since modifications anyhow no hyundais in my group of friends (3 z28 camaros, a rousch mustang, svt kenne bell mustang) plus its alot better than going to college parties on a weekends lol
Old 03-05-2011, 11:35 AM
WydGlydJim
Team Owner

Received 296 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by andersra
That was a great video. Thanks for posting it.
Originally Posted by DDSLT5
That vid is great - thanks Jim!
Been one of my favs for while......no problem.

And yes the parts were powdercoated back then on the vid, but if you remember, this was what 21 years ago for a '90? I think powdercoating technology just has come a long ways since then.

Last edited by WydGlydJim; 03-05-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:40 AM
Need4Speed90
Advanced

Originally Posted by lbs90ZR

Although I couldn't miss much, cause solvents would mess up the grey paint, so it took a lot of hours for the cam covers and plenum. If I remember right, that camel hair was expensive, like 10 or 15 dollars.

Actually, all I did was prep the whole thing with acetone before the grey, no sanding. It's about 4 years old now.
i think it would depend on the kind of solvent you used..if you use nail polish remover which isnt that strong but it gets the job done it would be fine..also the grey would have to set for a good long while before trying to do the letters just to be on the safe side. the good brushes are always expensive but idk if they were that much i think AC MOORE or Michaels (any craft store) would have some good quality ones for around $6....i think what hes trying to say is dont try to save money and get the $0.89 ones that you can find at a dollar store
Old 03-05-2011, 11:57 AM
Need4Speed90
Advanced

Originally Posted by Coupe89
Does anyone know it they make raised letter for these cars?
(plenum and valve covers)
i was thinking the same thing as an alternative to painting them, i didn't find raised letters but i could find a couple companies that would make vynil inlays for customa applications you just have to give them a template of what you need (take a peice of paper, place on plenum, rub pencil over, leaves dark lines around letters, bingo you got a template lol)..however i wasnt sure how it would stand up to the heat in the engine bay
Old 03-07-2011, 07:47 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4Speed90
i was thinking the same thing as an alternative to painting them, i didn't find raised letters but i could find a couple companies that would make vynil inlays for customa applications you just have to give them a template of what you need (take a peice of paper, place on plenum, rub pencil over, leaves dark lines around letters, bingo you got a template lol)..however i wasnt sure how it would stand up to the heat in the engine bay
I'd like to see them in fancy cast high temp plastic like they do for the inlay on the back of c5 rear bumpers

just peel off the backing and stick em on.

it would really look cool too. the other idea is to laster cut them from stainless steel or alum and powder coat them

hey carter, how about it buddy? would work really well and it would be fairly ez to do.

that way the letters would be razor sharp guaranteed!
Old 03-08-2011, 11:09 AM
Need4Speed90
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
I'd like to see them in fancy cast high temp plastic like they do for the inlay on the back of c5 rear bumpers

just peel off the backing and stick em on.

it would really look cool too. the other idea is to laster cut them from stainless steel or alum and powder coat them

hey carter, how about it buddy? would work really well and it would be fairly ez to do.

that way the letters would be razor sharp guaranteed!
150% that would look really sharp. only problem i can see with that is the metal being that thin that they would bend/break easily. but i think it would be a great idea if someone had a laser cutter..just program the letters in and bingo..such a good alternative to painting so you can get the letters stainless or even black chrome and then your imagination can really get going and we would see some unique LT5's

Quick Reply: HELP!! Plenum 4CAM32VALVE lettering