C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 03:47 PM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Received 199 Likes on 128 Posts

This one has no paper trail to prove the Carfax wrong, except the lower odometer readings on all the later entries.

How hard would it be to "roll back" the odometer on one of these anyway? It's in the body control module, correct? I would think it's difficult, but nothing is impossible.

I'm not too worried that the mileage isn't actual, I'm more worried about it from a collectibility/investment/resale someday down the road, point of view.

Thanks for all the replies so far!
Old 05-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 101 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackbirdZ07
This one has no paper trail to prove the Carfax wrong, except the lower odometer readings on all the later entries.

How hard would it be to "roll back" the odometer on one of these anyway? It's in the body control module, correct? I would think it's difficult, but nothing is impossible.

I'm not too worried that the mileage isn't actual, I'm more worried about it from a collectibility/investment/resale someday down the road, point of view.

I could do it. But you need the right equipment and it can only be done once. I am not sharing how to do it. I just know how.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:54 PM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

SHHHH!!!
I know how he does it...........
He uses a light sabre, and a little help from R2D2, or is that WD40.....

If that car has mileage in the teens, which I bet it does, as I agree some DMV clerk screwed up like they did to me, then
BUY THE CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stop thinking about ANYTHING else and BUY THE CAR!
There are no other things to consider unless a Kenworth rolled over it.
BUY THE CAR!!!!

Are we clear?

Let us know how it works out!

Marty

1FUNZR1
Originally Posted by Goldcylon
I could do it. But you need the right equipment and it can only be done once. I am not sharing how to do it. I just know how.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:19 PM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1
SHHHH!!!
I know how he does it...........
He uses a light sabre, and a little help from R2D2, or is that WD40.....

If that car has mileage in the teens, which I bet it does, as I agree some DMV clerk screwed up like they did to me, then
BUY THE CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stop thinking about ANYTHING else and BUY THE CAR!
There are no other things to consider unless a Kenworth rolled over it.
BUY THE CAR!!!!

Are we clear?

Let us know how it works out!

Marty

1FUNZR1
I'm going to send the deposit. I'm not sure when I can go check the car out... hopefully early next week. I will definitely keep checking this thread and let everyone know what happens, and I will be sure to post pictures when I get the car!
Old 05-07-2011, 05:49 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

It would take a few seconds to tell if the car had low mileage.Just a simple look at the finish on the motor will tell the story.Got any pictures?
Old 05-07-2011, 07:13 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Don't worry about this car as an investment. for 13,500, buy it and drive it like you stole it. You may have to drop 2k in it for things like injectors or coils and thats if you have someone do the work.

If it looks clean, and you get a chance to have a 3rd party mechanic go through it, before you buy it to make sure there is no visible signs from repair from a bad accident don't look back while your running it through the gears at 7000 rpm
Old 05-09-2011, 01:50 PM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Update- I sent the seller a deposit. I'll be able to go check the car and get it either the end of this week or the end of next week.

I did get four hard copy photos. They look fine, but they don't really show anything in detail. Thanks for the reminder to check the car thoroughly for signs of accident damage... since the car was in Mexico for the first 13 years of its life, any damage would not show up on Carfax and may not have been repaired very well!
Old 05-10-2011, 02:57 AM
wildanblue
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Update- ........ I'll be able to go check the car and get it either the end of this week or the end of next week.
.........!
Old 05-11-2011, 11:58 AM
rudolph schenker
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 134 Posts

Update- I sent the seller a deposit. I'll be able to go check the car and get it either the end of this week or the end of next week.

I did get four hard copy photos. They look fine, but they don't really show anything in detail. Thanks for the reminder to check the car thoroughly for signs of accident damage... since the car was in Mexico for the first 13 years of its life, any damage would not show up on Carfax and may not have been repaired very well!

Old 05-29-2011, 07:17 PM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Default UPDATE - It's still for sale!

To update this thread: I finally got to check this ZR-1 out, and I decided NOT to buy it. I think it's a good car and I think the mileage is correct from what I could tell, but it's just not what I would be looking for.

First off, the car has been repainted, as evidenced by some overspray low in the passenger side engine compartment (not bad) and some more on the passenger side floor under the car, as well as several runs in the clear coat in hidden areas. Other than those problems that told me the car had been repainted, the paint job wasn't bad and the car looked good.

The seller did not know why the car had been repainted (he never told me about it), so that's a question, and the main reason I passed on the car. It could just have been keyed, or could be something more major?? There are no Carfax records (see earlier posts in this thread) and the title is clean (NOT salvage) so it's hard to know. I looked but didn't see any signs of crash damage, but I didn't have it on a lift and I'm not an expert.

The weatherstrip was what you'd expect for a 13,000 mile southwest car... generally very good to excellent condition, but the strips at the base of the side windows were cracked. I know that's pretty common on C4's and isn't hard to fix.

The 13,200 miles looked to be correct from what I could tell. The car had the ZR-1 solar windshield is excellent condition... no chips, no delamination. The steering wheel and clutch and brake pedals were all in good shape, if a little dirty. The interior was very nice but not perfect. Very minor wear on the driver's seat bolster, scratches on the shift ****, one of the seat controls didn't work, and a crack in one of the plastic trim pieces. But the door panels were not loose at the top, carpet was excellent (had sill protectors), seats were excellent.

The engine compartment was fairly dirty for a low mileage car, but not greasy and I don't think the aluminum was stained. The car has been sitting in a warehouse and I think they just washed all the dust off with a hose, so that made a bit of a mess in the wiper grill area in front of the windshield.

Tires were good/excellent. Some kind of Goodyear Eagles in the front, Eagle F1 supercars in the back. Rear wheels were on swapped to the wrong sides. Some curb rash on the right front wheel, I didn't notice the others, otherwise the wheels were in good shape.

Mechanically, it was generally okay but needs some work. It drove very well. Steering, brakes, clutch, transmission all felt and sounded great. The vacuum pump ran continuously so it does have a vacuum leak. The check engine light light did not come on at start up (I don't think the service ride control or service LTPWS lights came on either) and the panel on the DIC was loose so I think someone pulled the bulbs. Also there is no record of the injectors having been replaced, so that would probably be done at the same time the vacuum leak gets fixed. The seller told me he had the AC compressor replaced a couple years ago.

Since I would be looking at the car as an investment/occasional driver, I decided that the fact that it has been repainted and the lack of history was too much of a question mark for me. However, I do think that it would be a good car to fix up a little bit, and then drive the heck out of. It's just not what I would be looking for.

SO, if anyone is interested in a 13,200 mile 1990 for $13,500, this may be the car for you. The seller emailed me some pictures, but they're old scanned film pictures that have been copied into a Word document (otherwise I'd post them). I would be happy to forward them and the seller's contact information to anyone who's interested. Just PM me your email. The car is in Las Cruces, New Mexico.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:23 PM
LT5corsa
1994 Admiral Blue ZZZZZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 41 Posts
Northeast Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

To update this thread: I finally got to check this ZR-1 out, and I decided NOT to buy it. I think it's a good car and I think the mileage is correct from what I could tell, but it's just not what I would be looking for.

First off, the car has been repainted, as evidenced by some overspray low in the passenger side engine compartment (not bad) and some more on the passenger side floor under the car, as well as several runs in the clear coat in hidden areas. Other than those problems that told me the car had been repainted, the paint job wasn't bad and the car looked good.

The seller did not know why the car had been repainted (he never told me about it), so that's a question, and the main reason I passed on the car. It could just have been keyed, or could be something more major?? There are no Carfax records (see earlier posts in this thread) and the title is clean (NOT salvage) so it's hard to know. I looked but didn't see any signs of crash damage, but I didn't have it on a lift and I'm not an expert.

The weatherstrip was what you'd expect for a 13,000 mile southwest car... generally very good to excellent condition, but the strips at the base of the side windows were cracked. I know that's pretty common on C4's and isn't hard to fix.

The 13,200 miles looked to be correct from what I could tell. The car had the ZR-1 solar windshield is excellent condition... no chips, no delamination. The steering wheel and clutch and brake pedals were all in good shape, if a little dirty. The interior was very nice but not perfect. Very minor wear on the driver's seat bolster, scratches on the shift ****, one of the seat controls didn't work, and a crack in one of the plastic trim pieces. But the door panels were not loose at the top, carpet was excellent (had sill protectors), seats were excellent.

The engine compartment was fairly dirty for a low mileage car, but not greasy and I don't think the aluminum was stained. The car has been sitting in a warehouse and I think they just washed all the dust off with a hose, so that made a bit of a mess in the wiper grill area in front of the windshield.

Tires were good/excellent. Some kind of Goodyear Eagles in the front, Eagle F1 supercars in the back. Rear wheels were on swapped to the wrong sides. Some curb rash on the right front wheel, I didn't notice the others, otherwise the wheels were in good shape.

Mechanically, it was generally okay but needs some work. It drove very well. Steering, brakes, clutch, transmission all felt and sounded great. The vacuum pump ran continuously so it does have a vacuum leak. The check engine light light did not come on at start up (I don't think the service ride control or service LTPWS lights came on either) and the panel on the DIC was loose so I think someone pulled the bulbs. Also there is no record of the injectors having been replaced, so that would probably be done at the same time the vacuum leak gets fixed. The seller told me he had the AC compressor replaced a couple years ago.

Since I would be looking at the car as an investment/occasional driver, I decided that the fact that it has been repainted and the lack of history was too much of a question mark for me. However, I do think that it would be a good car to fix up a little bit, and then drive the heck out of. It's just not what I would be looking for.

SO, if anyone is interested in a 13,200 mile 1990 for $13,500, this may be the car for you. The seller emailed me some pictures, but they're old scanned film pictures that have been copied into a Word document (otherwise I'd post them). I would be happy to forward them and the seller's contact information to anyone who's interested. Just PM me your email. The car is in Las Cruces, New Mexico.

The keyword you said "investment" does not go well with ANY car and you should not try for that.

I have heard many times that buyers want a ZR-1 for an investment and tell them it is a bad investment.

Cars NEVER are.

ZR-1's are made for personal enjoyment and made to be driven... HARD!!!!!

David

PS I drive mine like I stole it every chance I get Permagrin
Old 05-30-2011, 02:36 AM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LT5corsa
The keyword you said "investment" does not go well with ANY car and you should not try for that.

I have heard many times that buyers want a ZR-1 for an investment and tell them it is a bad investment.

Cars NEVER are.

ZR-1's are made for personal enjoyment and made to be driven... HARD!!!!!

David

PS I drive mine like I stole it every chance I get Permagrin
I know. "Investment" is not really what I mean. I agree; I would never buy any car with for the sole purpose of keeping it to make money later on. I just prefer my cars to be desirable, original, collectible cars. I have a '67 convertible that I jumped at when it came up for sale a couple years ago. Everything is original on the car including the paint on a no-hit body, it is fully documented, and I've spoken to the original owner who owned the car until 2006. It's not in the greatest condition, but it's the real deal. I could have bought a pieced together car with no history that looks better that may be a great driver, but I prefer to put my money into real, honest cars.

This Z is would probably be a great car with a little work; it's just not for me.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:45 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

All of these cars have paint overspray on the underside of the car and if the black paint had chipped on the frame under the hood you would see color under the black paint.Now color on anything but the frame,firewall is something to look at.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:31 AM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Not sure what you are looking for that can be had for what appears to be a very reasonable price. The condition factors seem to warrant a higher price once someone spends a day doing a good detail job on it. Good luck in your search for a better value.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:14 AM
WydGlydJim
Team Owner

Received 296 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
All of these cars have paint overspray on the underside of the car and if the black paint had chipped on the frame under the hood you would see color under the black paint.Now color on anything but the frame,firewall is something to look at.
Yep if you don't know it is common, the overspray on the underside looks suspicious, but it is not.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:29 AM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Certain cars ARE an investment but don't buy a ZR1 for that purpose. Not many out there in that category. Buy it and enjoy it.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:49 PM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
I didn't really know about the factory overspray... my '92 was black so I never noticed any overspray! Maybe it was factory on the bottom, but it really looked like overspray from a repaint at the passenger side front corner of the engine compartment, down low behind the bumper and in front of the wheel well. That plus a few runs in the clear convinced me the car had been repainted, at least partially. I did see an area in the engine compartment where the black had chipped off revealing red underneath so it's good to know that's okay.

Originally Posted by Bigvmaxx
Not sure what you are looking for that can be had for what appears to be a very reasonable price. The condition factors seem to warrant a higher price once someone spends a day doing a good detail job on it. Good luck in your search for a better value.
I'm not looking for a better value, and I'm certain I wouldn't find one if I was looking. I had never seriously considered owning a ZR-1 and I was not looking for one, but this car came up because it belongs to a relative of a co-worker. If anybody is interested it can be bought for $13,500.

Get notified of new replies

To Good deal?

Old 06-01-2011, 04:02 AM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

I'm not looking for a better value, and I'm certain I wouldn't find one if I was looking. I had never seriously considered owning a ZR-1 and I was not looking for one, but this car came up because it belongs to a relative of a co-worker. If anybody is interested it can be bought for $13,500.
Not trying to sound like a chinese fortune cookie here.... This could be the beginning of a rewarding car experience for you. You already have a passion for Corvettes and the LT5 may prove to be the most suprising and addictive engine you have ever aquainted yourself with. Everything happens for a reason... so... having it come under your radar might have been an opportunity worth investing in. I am only a little biased now that I am on my 3rd Z with 10 years of ownership between them. It is one of those cars many people have heard about but relatively few have become owners of. You won't know the depth of the pleasure it brings until you possess it.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:34 AM
Brillo1990
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even in the condition you say it's in it's still a good deal and like was said with some detailing it could sell for more. Wish it were closer I may think of buying it and reselling it. JFYI C4's with that kind of mileage sell for that here in Iowa.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:54 AM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Default Got it!!

Well, I was able to make a deal on this Z for considerably less than the $13,500 so it's now in my garage! Below are some pictures I took after a quick wash. I haven't touched the engine yet.

It's not perfect but I'm happy! I've reconsidered my opinion on the repaint too... I think you guys may be right, it's factory overspray. It's on the underside of the car, but there's absolutely none on any weatherstrip, wiring, molding, suspension, etc. so I think it's factory.

The plan is to get it running properly, then fix the minor cosmetic issues.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Quick Reply: Good deal?