C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

How bad does the car feel without the top?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 11:39 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by jrtoffroad
You guys crack me up. I think people blow the chassis flex way out of proportion.
You are definitely in the minority here,the cheap chassis in these cars is typical G.M.Anytime Ive got the top off the car and hit some rough road surface Ill hold the turn signal lever to keep from breaking something.I wont put the glass top on the car out of fear of cracking it but I will take the top off the car anytime I feel the itch.The flexing isnt even bad enough to use one of those truss jobbers,those things are just nasty,and you want to get it chrome plated so it stands out just a little bit more.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:14 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

I would not call the chassis cheap. It is a compromised design. Dave McCellan had a sound design but at the last second Ruess Lloyd wanted a targa. Having no other recourse but to trial and error it they made the sills higher and did tests that showed the stress in the structure they reinforced those points but even with the targa on they only got the structural frequency just above wheel hop. So about 17Hz, verus 23Hz or so in a C5. Big difference. Pick up his book Corvette from the Inside to get the complete story.

Otherwords, same old GM, let management screw things up. Dave fixed the structure once in for all, that car is called the C5. It was 90% done when Dave Hill took over in 93.

Quick Reply: How bad does the car feel without the top?