C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Garage find.....errr...kind of (ZR1 related)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 10:52 AM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

Default Garage find.....errr...kind of (ZR1 related)

Heya guys,

wanted to share a little story with you. Was at a friend's shop the other day getting a car inspected. He takes me in the back section of the shop that is not being used to look at some junk. So...when I walk in the door....I see a yellow C4 sitting there. From a distance it looked dirty and....honestly...I was thinking to myself...this think is some kinda of bulljive...as it had ZR-1 emblems on it. I guess I have never looked closely enough or paid attention..but I thought the symbol was ZR1...as we get closer to the car...it is very dirty and has some marks on it. I do notice that it has saw blades and the gills in front of the doors..and the rear sawblades were wide....like deeper version of what I am use to seeing. Now....I am getting curious. The garage owner starts telling me the story. They get a call from the police to come pick this car up ....as it is sitting on the side of the road. They do..and bring it back to the shop. They check on the car...it is not reported stolen or missing. It does have a Florida plate on it. It has been sitting there for a couple weeks now. So...i ask him to open the hood. It looks like a LT5 motor to me. I am no expert and have never owned one....but it looks like it's polished (not the traditional shiny gray) and it has yellow lettering in place of the original letters. There are pieces missing from the interior and the seats are missing. Kinda interesting. I wonder what the history is behind this vette? When I see polished or chrome type shine on a ZR1 engine...I start thinking crazyness....like stroker .....or thoughts of LPE start dancing thru my brain.... ................ ..then I can't even think!
Anyway....after a couple minutes looking at the car ....I was so overwhelmed that I had to get out of there! But...I wanna go back and look again. I will find out the garage owner's plans for the car also. Maybe it will be a good buy for somebody if it is left "unclaimed" and he goes to sell it?

This is my "barn find" corvette story...as I will prob never stumble across that 67 427 mint vette that has been sitting in somebody's barn for 25 years all covered up and pristine and they will sell it to me for next to nothing!!

Hope you enjoyed the story.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:14 AM
Shrek
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep me posted! I may be interested and would like to ride over with you when you take a second look.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:01 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Hey Jeff,

yeah...we can go take a look. Gun show and vettes this weekend?
Old 01-16-2012, 12:37 PM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Received 199 Likes on 128 Posts

Sounds like a "story" to me. 1. People generally don't abandon Corvettes on the side of the road, much less ZR-1's, much less modded ZR-1's. 2. If someone did abandon a Corvette (or any car) on the side of the road, the police would have it towed to an impound lot by a towing/storage company they contract with. They wouldn't just call a shop to come pick it up. 3. Nobody would become "so overwhelmed that I had to get out of there" and leave without getting as much information they could about the car.

So I call , but I could be wrong!
Old 01-16-2012, 12:54 PM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Sounds like a stolen car to me, what with the missing interior stuff. And maybe the owner just doesn't know yet, could have been in storage.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:22 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

you are wrong blackbird...but thanks for the vote of confidence! The shop may contract w local and state police to pickup cars ...they have a wrecker service. That's the "story" that was told to me....just relaying what I was told and saw of the car. There wasn't alot of information to get on the car...as you put it....it was towed in and is parked in the back of the shop...nothing more is know about the car. I will go back and have another look...get the VIN and see if there is a registration. It does have a florida tag on the back. It has not been reported missing, stolen or anything else so far....according to the shop owner.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:41 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 101 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by IMXCITD
you are wrong blackbird...but thanks for the vote of confidence! The shop may contract w local and state police to pickup cars ...they have a wrecker service. That's the "story" that was told to me....just relaying what I was told and saw of the car. There wasn't alot of information to get on the car...as you put it....it was towed in and is parked in the back of the shop...nothing more is know about the car. I will go back and have another look...get the VIN and see if there is a registration. It does have a florida tag on the back. It has not been reported missing, stolen or anything else so far....according to the shop owner.
Photos will tell the story
Old 01-16-2012, 05:44 PM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Received 199 Likes on 128 Posts

you are wrong blackbird...
Wouldn't be the first time!

Go back and get all the information you can. The VIN would tell a lot. Take a camera with you so you can post pictures.

Getting a title won't be quick or easy, as your friend certainly knows if he's in the business of collecting cars from the side of the road. He'll probably have to file a lien, which will involve contacting the Florida DMV to get the registered owner's name and address, sending certified letter(s) to him, and waiting. It'd be worth it though if the car's a Z. Of course the owner can pay the towing and storage fees and reclaim the car at any time.

Keep us updated!
Old 01-16-2012, 06:43 PM
MRDZR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackbirdZ07
Wouldn't be the first time!

Go back and get all the information you can. The VIN would tell a lot. Take a camera with you so you can post pictures.

Getting a title won't be quick or easy, as your friend certainly knows if he's in the business of collecting cars from the side of the road. He'll probably have to file a lien, which will involve contacting the Florida DMV to get the registered owner's name and address, sending certified letter(s) to him, and waiting. It'd be worth it though if the car's a Z. Of course the owner can pay the towing and storage fees and reclaim the car at any time.

Keep us updated!
Old 01-17-2012, 01:11 AM
cvette98pacecar
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heya guys,

wanted to share a little story with you. Was at a friend's shop the other day getting a car inspected. He takes me in the back section of the shop that is not being used to look at some junk. So...when I walk in the door....I see a yellow C4 sitting there. From a distance it looked dirty and....honestly...I was thinking to myself...this think is some kinda of bulljive...as it had ZR-1 emblems on it. I guess I have never looked closely enough or paid attention..but I thought the symbol was ZR1...as we get closer to the car...it is very dirty and has some marks on it. I do notice that it has saw blades and the gills in front of the doors..and the rear sawblades were wide....like deeper version of what I am use to seeing. Now....I am getting curious. The garage owner starts telling me the story. They get a call from the police to come pick this car up ....as it is sitting on the side of the road. They do..and bring it back to the shop. They check on the car...it is not reported stolen or missing. It does have a Florida plate on it. It has been sitting there for a couple weeks now. So...i ask him to open the hood. It looks like a LT5 motor to me. I am no expert and have never owned one....but it looks like it's polished (not the traditional shiny gray) and it has yellow lettering in place of the original letters. There are pieces missing from the interior and the seats are missing. Kinda interesting. I wonder what the history is behind this vette? When I see polished or chrome type shine on a ZR1 engine...I start thinking crazyness....like stroker .....or thoughts of LPE start dancing thru my brain.... ................ ..then I can't even think!
Anyway....after a couple minutes looking at the car ....I was so overwhelmed that I had to get out of there! But...I wanna go back and look again. I will find out the garage owner's plans for the car also. Maybe it will be a good buy for somebody if it is left "unclaimed" and he goes to sell it?

This is my "barn find" corvette story...as I will prob never stumble across that 67 427 mint vette that has been sitting in somebody's barn for 25 years all covered up and pristine and they will sell it to me for next to nothing!!

Where oh where has my ZR-1 gone, oh where oh where can it be. I left it on the side of the road and it disappeared while I was gone.

Oh sorry wrong story.

Last edited by cvette98pacecar; 01-17-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:55 AM
Shrek
Melting Slicks

Hey Jeff,

yeah...we can go take a look. Gun show and vettes this weekend?
Hey Bill, that sounds like a plan! I've been busting my *** (don't laugh Ted) getting Georgana's ZR-1 ready for the upcoming track season, but I think I can manage to sneak away while she's working. Maybe Ted can push one of his slugs out of the garage and join us!

Don't worry about some of these ZR-1 "EXPERTS" comments! When it involves a ZR-1, we like to puff out our chest, show our ZR-1 tattoo, and give our opinion. Right or wrong you're going to get an opinion, and you know what they say about opinions!

OK....enough of my opinions, let's go take a look and see if it is, or if it isn't a ZR-1.

BTW...I'm making good use of your lift until you come and get it!!!

Old 01-17-2012, 07:39 AM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Heya Jeff,

the toy house looks good...and ...wait...is that a new toy in the background....a toy for the water!?! maybe you and G will adopt me!!!

yep...we vette owners are all experts!! especially ZR-1 owners!!
yeah....let's go see what's what....and take pics! after that....we should go over to the gunshow and waste some $$$......wait.....maybe I will just look and pay you some money that I owe you!

I will get w you in next day or two to figure out some details.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:49 AM
Shrek
Melting Slicks

is that a new toy in the background....a toy for the water!?!
Nope...Just charging the the battery in it for Ed (FastZR1)

You shoulda stopped by last month...we were collecting dust on a couple of Ted's (Demps) 95's here for a few weeks!

I will get w you in next day or two to figure out some details.
Shoot me a PM when you're ready
Old 01-17-2012, 09:25 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Heya guys,

Old 01-18-2012, 09:19 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Still no pics?
Old 01-18-2012, 09:36 AM
Shrek
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
Originally Posted by Goldcylon
Still no pics?
Put it back in your pants and give it a rest!

We're trying to set up something for this weekend.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:40 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Shrek
Put it back in your pants and give it a rest!
Show him your tattoo

Get notified of new replies

To Garage find.....errr...kind of (ZR1 related)

Old 01-18-2012, 10:12 AM
Shrek
Melting Slicks

Show him your tattoo

I can't, mine got removed by the ZR-1 expert police. Turns out I'm not a big enough douchebag yet! Since you're such a picture hound, show him a picture of yours, pretty obvious you got to keep yours!
Old 01-18-2012, 10:54 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Shrek

I can't, mine got removed by the ZR-1 expert police. Turns out I'm not a big enough douchebag yet! Since you're such a picture hound, show him a picture of yours, pretty obvious you got to keep yours!
No tattoos Here, No chest thumping here either. Your friend posts up a wild story and instead of challenging his thread as others have I and a few other members have asked for pics for visual confirmation this "story"

You invoke tattoos, Keeping things in your pants and refering to douchebags as a normal part of the ZR-1 culture which it is not. Speak for yourself. Im kind of surprised by this Shrek coming from you.

Last edited by Goldcylon; 01-18-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:32 AM
Shrek
Melting Slicks

No tattoos Here, No chest thumping here either. Your friend posts up a wild story and instead of challenging his thread as others have I and a few other members have asked for pics for visual confirmation this "story"

You invoke tattoos, Keeping things in your pants and refering to douchebags as a normal part of the ZR-1 culture which it is not. Speak for yourself. Im kind of surprised by this Shrek coming from you.
OK.. the DB comment was a little over the top! For that, I apologize.

As for the rest of it, that's my impression I've gotten over the years of lurking here. Sorry if that offends some of you, but that's the way I see it.

As for confirmation of this "story".... How about giving someone a few of days, instead of posting needless comments and piling on. That's "one" of my beefs in here! One person calls BS and a bunch more pile on, and that's what prompted me to finally speak up! He could probably run down there by noon and have photos, but I asked for him to wait until my schedule opened up on the weekend and I would help him verify what he saw. Plus I would like to see what happens to it, if it is a ZR-1.

Shrek...SURPRISE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Garage find.....errr...kind of (ZR1 related)