C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

ZR-1 value...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 10:26 AM
retcav1sg
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Default ZR-1 value...

I have a thread in the general forum but have a specific ZR-1 question. What would the potential value be for a 1990 ZR-1 that has a total loss history. The car only has 20500 miles on it and has been repaired and is in above average running order. I have someone wanting to use at as a partial trade for a vehicle I'm selling. I would assume that the drive train alone has decent value.

Thanks for any thoughts
Old 02-08-2016, 10:39 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I would say Pics of the cars damage would be needed. Also check it out with someone who has a lot of C4 knowledge. As as it has a salvage title the value will always be affected.

But it may make a great driver for the right price if fixed correctly.

As to price just my thoughts low to mid teens. Lots of nice ZR-1's on the market right now at some great prices.
The following users liked this post:
DaveP85C4 (02-14-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 10:15 PM
oricale
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Branded ZR1

When it comes to a branded title car, the first thought is knowing that you
will lose out if your trying to flip it.

However, these cars do have their fan base(I have three) and there are people that will pay decent money, but not big money for it branded.

It also depends on what the damage was and what happened, that back story is pretty important. I am currently building a 1992 ZR1 that had a slight burn.(lots of work, but chassis/suspension wasn't effected) so to me since it wasn't a collision. its a great candidate.

http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26058

I also think with the current (or in your case) earlier damage in mind, the rest of the vehicle's condition is a big consideration. If the car is rode hard and put up wet..unless your getting it for below 5k, its only worth parts..and then your into that labor intensive process.

bottom line,

If the car is in excellent condition, very clean, needs nothing, and the brand on the title was due to something small......worth $10K to 14K towards Trade.

if the car had a serious accident and the car is running bad, worn and not taken care of(just look at the weatherstripping, carpet color, seats, engine is dirty and has mismatched hardware, electrical problems ect
paint issues(very important)....worth 5-8K towards trade.

hope this helps a bit.

Dempsey

Last edited by oricale; 02-08-2016 at 10:17 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:08 AM
Crabs
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts

The LT5 is worth at least $5-7k in running condition.
The Thermostat housing is worth at least $500.
The ECM, $500-750
The ZF6 is worth $1500-1800.
None of these items are bothered at all by a salvage title.
The car on the other hand is.
Too many nice Z's going for mid to high teens for this car to be worth much.
Anything special about this car?
Rare color?
Upgrades/mods?

I agree with Demps, for trade in value, no more than $10-14k.

'Crabs
'90 ZR1 #792
Old 02-09-2016, 06:08 AM
retcav1sg
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for all the responses...I think the deal is dead, I've not heard from him since I informed him that he had a total loss history car. He seemed very surprised/shocked, maybe he didn't know, anyway, no response since. Thanks again for the advice.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:19 AM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by retcav1sg
Thanks for all the responses...I think the deal is dead, I've not heard from him since I informed him that he had a total loss history car. He seemed very surprised/shocked, maybe he didn't know, anyway, no response since. Thanks again for the advice.
He may or may not have known about the salvage title. When I was in the car selling and buying business in my early retirement period, it was surprising to me how many tried to trade in cars with salvage titles or crash damage that they did not know about. Sadly, usually low income and/or minority folks. We would take it on trade but it would be at anywhere from 30% to 50% below a normal trade value and it would go right to auction tagged as a salvage title or damaged. You would also be surprised (or maybe not) how many used car dealers would leap on such cars when the yellow light was flashing (indicating crash damage or title issues). Especially BMWs, Mercedes, etc. I am sure they were sold without that information made clear to the buyer. Unfortunately, lots of those dealers around the Chicago area. --Bob

Last edited by ZR1Bob; 02-09-2016 at 11:21 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR-1 value...

Quick Reply: ZR-1 value...