C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

1991 power gone and rough idle once up to operating temp

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 05:20 PM
zrc3john
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 260 Posts

I see what you mean about " Vette guy"...I would be leery as well....Worse comes to worse tow it to a qualified shop providing there somewhat close..

Lord knows I used AAA for that very purpose many a time for my 73.....
Old 07-16-2019, 11:40 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR WON
When you engine gets warm, if you have original injectors, the heat is it is like causing one or more of the injectors to short, resulting in your rough idle. Another tell tale sign of bad injectors is if you can hear the dual mass flywheel rattling at idle. Very likely time to replace.

Brian A.
90 ZR-1
12.09@118
01 Z06
not quite stock
Agree it’s fhe injectors. Especially in the 90 and 91 cars that couldn’t cope with the ethanol.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:16 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Alright guys, I got it taken care of. It was a combination of a bad primary #8 injector and a vacuum actuator that would only half way open the passenger side bank of butterflies. Big thanks to Paul Workman for the actuator he had sitting around (no such thing as a free lunch, Paul got a used set of LT5 plug wires as a thank you). So, I know some guys were talking about these being factory injectors, but they weren't. These had already been replaced by a previous owner. I went with the Bosch yellow tops. Car is as good as new on performance. Before, the car would idle at 30 on cold start up and flex up to 35 when coming up to a stop sign or light not even a minute later. Now, it idles at 30 regardless of how long it's been driven.

Southbay Fuel Injectors is where I picked up the Bosch set. Comes with a three year, no questions asked warranty so worth a shot to me. Glad she is healthy again.
The following users liked this post:
FASTAZU (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 07:39 PM
ccmano
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Glad you got it. Surprised to see that FIC (Delphi) go bad, first I’ve seen. Great to see Paul helped you out, good guy!
My current car had those Bosch (Ford) injectors in it when I got it. They ran just fine. No issues.
H
Old 07-28-2019, 08:04 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

That's great news.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:27 PM
ZR WON
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Glad to read you got the car running 100% again.

Brian A.
90 ZR-1
12.09@118
01 Z06
not quite stock
Old 08-06-2019, 08:32 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
Alright guys, I got it taken care of. It was a combination of a bad primary #8 injector and a vacuum actuator that would only half way open the passenger side bank of butterflies. Big thanks to Paul Workman for the actuator he had sitting around (no such thing as a free lunch, Paul got a used set of LT5 plug wires as a thank you). So, I know some guys were talking about these being factory injectors, but they weren't. These had already been replaced by a previous owner. I went with the Bosch yellow tops. Car is as good as new on performance. Before, the car would idle at 30 on cold start up and flex up to 35 when coming up to a stop sign or light not even a minute later. Now, it idles at 30 regardless of how long it's been driven.

Southbay Fuel Injectors is where I picked up the Bosch set. Comes with a three year, no questions asked warranty so worth a shot to me. Glad she is healthy again.
in cases where you have the plenum off and want to check things out it's well worth having the injectors flow tested. many of the injectors are rebuilds that tend to crap out quick. and some of the flow characteristics of the aftermarket stuff is crap

the plain old accels work great, are cost effective and seem to have similar flow characteristics. RCs are a bit more and full stainless internals, but I think the accels are the way to go and a good bang for the buck

being that the lt5 relies on 2 things, 16 injectors and secondary actuators, both have some issues that need attention. As for me, pulling those secondaries out was a no brainer. Haven't missed them a bit

mod is fine on stockers too as the flappers just really aren't needed IMHO. Parts left out don't break, cost or weigh much. Simplify your life!!

Quick Reply: 1991 power gone and rough idle once up to operating temp