Notices
C4s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C4 Corvettes For Sale as well as Modified or Stock Corvettes

1986 Pace Car convertible. worth????

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 11:07 PM
3rd_Vette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnGalt48
So what would you think is maximum "collector value" mileage on these?
I have a black one like this with 4500 miles that I'm considering selling as well.
Just not sure what kind of mileage Corvette collectors are looking for...
I'm a Mopar guy mostly, and about the only thing I know about Corvettes, is what I get from this forum!
That might be a scary thought, now that I think about it.......lol
Where are you located and how about some pictures and a price!
Old 09-12-2006, 11:25 PM
VenkmanP
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a black one like this with 4500 miles that I'm considering selling as well.
I'm not a collector, but I'd sure think 4500 qualifies.

But I'd guess it'll be another 10-20 years before early C4s are worth much.

Unless you need the garage space, hold onto it and it probably will be worth some money eventually.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:29 AM
dslater35
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Buy it & Drive it

Originally Posted by Vis Croceus
Every 86 vert was a "Pace Car" and came with the decals.

22k is too many miles for a real collector to be interested.

So it's just another low miles C4 which is worth not much.
I took a look in the Corvette Specs book out of curiosity and it is noted on page 87 that the Indy decals were indeed included with all convertibles as noted above. With that in mind they produced 7,315 convertibles/Pace Cars. Out of those roughly 1/2 of them were red (either bright red-2,585 or dark red metallic-1,109).

What this gent appears to have is a very nice, low mile early C4. Something that would be a lot of fun to own and drive and hit the cruise nights or Vette shows with. Given the production numbers and the 22K showing on the odometer I'd be surprised if it generated any significant interest in a serious collector's world.

Just my thoughts...
Old 09-13-2006, 09:24 AM
03whitecoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Please keep in mind that although I own an 86 Pace Car I am no expert on their resale value. The guy with the black pacer with 4500 miles would still be lucky to get $20k for his car. If it were yellow then maybe a few grand more. Yellow is the color of the car that actually paced the race and for collectors that makes it more valuable than the other colors. As for the guy with the car that 3rd Vette was looking at, I'd say $15k tops because of the color. As I'm sure you know the C4's aren't exactly setting any records for appreciation and it'll be a decade or two before they show any real strength in the collector car market.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:22 AM
JohnGalt48
Instructor

I want to end up with a nice six speed driver C5 that I can enjoy and not just look at in the garage, so I'm holding onto my 4500 mile '86 until it's worth enough to sell to a collector and get what I'm looking for. Looks like that will take about 25k or so currently.
Hopefully, the '86 will start in increase in value as the C5 decreases, so..the longer I wait....the nicer driver I get. (I hope!)
Old 09-20-2006, 03:39 AM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Where is the car and what's he asking?

Jake
Old 09-20-2006, 07:57 AM
ravenlunatic
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Maui
average retail is 15k. Personally I enjoy looking at the pace cars but would feel funny driving something with all those graphics.

Good luck with your decision
Old 09-21-2006, 01:36 AM
3rd_Vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by JAKE
Where is the car and what's he asking?

Jake
The car is 2 miles from me in Oregon sitting in the 70+ year old fellas garage. He was asking $20k but is at $15k. I was going to offer a take it or leave it offer of $12k. Im not in a real hurry as Im having to deal with a local Chevy dealership that has really screwed up a very simple fix on my 1980 and now it sits in their service department with NO oil pan on my 3 week old crate motor. I guess I need to vent about this. It all started with a slight drip in the rear main. I brought it to the attention of the dealer where I bought the motor. They verified the leak and ordered a new gasket set and seal. Finally, they made an appointment to replace the seal and oil pan gasket. When they finished and released the car to me, it was a major leak and two oil lines down my 1/8 mile driveway. Now, after 2 more attempts to fix the so called problem, I have a bent oil pan and one on order, 5 business days out. Totally unacceptable . Somehow, a grimlin sneaked into the service department and bent the pan, yet they claim it was that way from the beginning. (hmmm, the pan wasnt the spot where the leak was). Now, my car is being heald hostage and it is getting pushed and pulled all over the dealership. NO, Im NOT HAPPY! I finally said, get it here next day freight. That will cost me $25 for someone elses mistake. With that in mind, my cherry 80 Corvette is now plastered with several greasy hand prints and has possible damage from Bubba and Co pulling it out of the service department with a tow strap and pickup . Mad?? Who, Me??? Dealership is to remain un named, "for now" , but, Should there be any damage or additional delays, their name will be all over the website. For the record, I spoke with the dealership owner tonight and he assured me that he would look into all my concerns and get back to me in the morning. Can you say...BUBBA STRIKES AGAIN? The Bubba's in the service department have referred to my 80 Vette as "just another old Chevy that will always have leaks". Ive owned this car forever and now it is getting leaned on, sat on, and pushed and pulled around. Might I add, I had a $5k paint job done in 1999 and it still as of yesterday, has not so much as a scratch, but who knows what it will look like when or should I say, "if" I get it back. Anyone have some extra Xanax??? Im totally stressed about the lack of respect a GM service department has towards my 26 year old pristine Corvette! My advice to anyone thinking of going with a Goodwrench Crate motor, rather than a rebuild of your motor....Stay away from the Goodwrench motor built by Paco and Alfredo in the South America Nafta Plant of GM.
Short addition, I just received my Original Equipment AC/DELCO radiator cap. Really pretty blue and white box with the tiny print, MADE IN INDIA Thank you Mr. Goodwrench, where ever you are!
Old 09-21-2006, 02:32 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Sorry to read about the problems you're having with the dealer.

I know the feeling because I've walked that road before. Now I'm at the point that going to the dealer is a last resort. I try to repair everything myself so I can maintain quality control and if it gets screwed up, I have no one to blame but myself.

I really hope it works out well for you.

BTW, have you decided which way you're going on the Pace Car?

Jake
Old 09-21-2006, 03:04 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

If you decide not to make him an offer on it, please put him in touch with me. After my 86 got hit by a 18-wheeler recently, I'm in the market.

If he and I can make a deal, I'll take it off his hands. LOL

972-274-3916 - jcameron266@sbcglobal.net

Jake
Old 09-22-2006, 11:58 PM
papidos
Instructor

Originally Posted by buzz12
Listen to what these guys are saying, esp the guy who has the same car. This old guy is playing dumb (dumb like a fox). I say offer him
12.5K and I bet he takes it.
The old geezer is putting out a hook. It's definetly worth 12,500 + for sure if only they hadn't put those damn stickers on it but 20K is high. The 1985 Roadsters came with the stickers in a box. Only some buyers had them installed on the car. Mine are on a shelf in the garage in their original box. While all 1986 Convertibles regardless of color were called Pace Cars the actual pace cars used in the race that year were yellow.

Last edited by papidos; 09-23-2006 at 12:21 AM.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:27 AM
3rd_Vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by JAKE
If you decide not to make him an offer on it, please put him in touch with me. After my 86 got hit by a 18-wheeler recently, I'm in the market.

If he and I can make a deal, I'll take it off his hands. LOL

972-274-3916 - jcameron266@sbcglobal.net

Jake
Hi Jake..

Im still sort of sitting on the fence about the 86. I kinda put it on the back burner for a few more days as I just got my 1980 back from the dealer today an hour before closing. To make a long story short, the leak is worse than ever. On the first visit they verified that I had a drip and said it was the rear main (parts on order), the 2nd, they replaced the rear main seal along with the pan gasket, the 3rd visit, they tightened the pan gasket, leaked all the way home, (New oil pan and gasket on order) the 4th (actually the 5th visit) they replaced the pan with a NEW pan and pan gasket. Now, it is leaking really bad. i raised the car up tonight and it is in fact coming from the rear main and not the pan gasket. They want me to return for visit # 6 Monday AM.just to verify that Im really leaking oil so they can order mor gaskets and seal).. Then Ill be waiting another 3 days for parts AGAIN because this dealer dosnt stock them .. Will this ever end?? How many times will have to go through this before I lawyer up or insist on a complete new crate motor???? My wife is afraid Im going to come home with the Pace Car now that Im rappidly falling out of love with my beautiful 80 C-3.. Im just glad that the old guy cant really drive the Vette and really isnt in a hurry to sell. I still have yet to see an add in the local paper. With the way the economy is, most locals here wouldn't even give it a second look. I think it is still safe in his garage..

Last edited by 3rd_Vette; 09-23-2006 at 01:31 AM.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:15 PM
86Pacecar
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by papidos
The old geezer is putting out a hook. It's definetly worth 12,500 + for sure if only they hadn't put those damn stickers on it but 20K is high. The 1985 Roadsters came with the stickers in a box. Only some buyers had them installed on the car. Mine are on a shelf in the garage in their original box. While all 1986 Convertibles regardless of color were called Pace Cars the actual pace cars used in the race that year were yellow.
True, but all the Verts were designated pace cars by Chevrolet because they did not make any changes to the car to pace the race. Except for a light bar and flashing marker lights it was the car that came off the production line.
The decals make this car. It gets you noticed and appreciated.
Name:  DSC00501.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  82.1 KB
Name:  DSC00505.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  40.0 KB
Old 09-25-2006, 11:36 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 3rd_Vette
Hi Jake..

Im still sort of sitting on the fence about the 86. I kinda put it on the back burner for a few more days as I just got my 1980 back from the dealer today an hour before closing. To make a long story short, the leak is worse than ever. On the first visit they verified that I had a drip and said it was the rear main (parts on order), the 2nd, they replaced the rear main seal along with the pan gasket, the 3rd visit, they tightened the pan gasket, leaked all the way home, (New oil pan and gasket on order) the 4th (actually the 5th visit) they replaced the pan with a NEW pan and pan gasket. Now, it is leaking really bad. i raised the car up tonight and it is in fact coming from the rear main and not the pan gasket. They want me to return for visit # 6 Monday AM.just to verify that Im really leaking oil so they can order mor gaskets and seal).. Then Ill be waiting another 3 days for parts AGAIN because this dealer dosnt stock them .. Will this ever end?? How many times will have to go through this before I lawyer up or insist on a complete new crate motor???? My wife is afraid Im going to come home with the Pace Car now that Im rappidly falling out of love with my beautiful 80 C-3.. Im just glad that the old guy cant really drive the Vette and really isnt in a hurry to sell. I still have yet to see an add in the local paper. With the way the economy is, most locals here wouldn't even give it a second look. I think it is still safe in his garage..
Okay, I understand. If you decide NOT to take it, let me know right away and I'll try to work a deal with him. I've got to make a move really soon because I'm about burned out from looking at all the Vettes for sale.

Hell, he and I will probably have a lot in common, since we're both "old guys" LOL

Jake
Old 06-04-2014, 01:38 PM
violinsib
Cruising

Default pace car 4sale

I'm 77 and finding it almost impossible to exit the car save falling out of it. I've had the car since new, always turns heads and getting compliments. It sat for awhile as I had a company car; now drive it fairly often; has 80k miles on it but looks and drives great. Like to get $10k. Has a couple of extras like a dealer installed radar detector; has a good quality cover comes with it. The interior and convertible top are saddle color; the pic incorrectly shows the interior of a lighter than it actually is (sun glare). Gets 25-28mpg on the highway using regular gas..no pings and no noticeable performance lags.
Attached Images    
Old 06-10-2014, 10:59 AM
David Shiel
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts
Default F rustrating

Originally Posted by 86Pacecar
True, but all the Verts were designated pace cars by Chevrolet because they did not make any changes to the car to pace the race. Except for a light bar and flashing marker lights it was the car that came off the production line.
The decals make this car. It gets you noticed and appreciated.

I wanted to purchase a nice C4 coupe or convertible. Found two, but prices for the coupes have been firm at 14 and 15 for 95 and 96 respectively and 11000 for an 89. I made what would seem to be fair offers and consistent with what you guys are saying and what they end up selling for, but the prices remain firm. So, I have moved on to C5s. Actually, was looking for two, one each, for GF and son-in-law. Have bought one C5 vert , actually two and flipped one before I knew my son-in law wanted one. Wish I had not, as it was a beauty. $6k more bought me one really nice C5 vert on Ebay. So, I just found the prices for low mileage C4's to be a bit unrealistic. There are many real nice 2000 up C5 verts out there to be had for under 22K. $
$12K seems about right for the one described.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:19 AM
Lloyd Smale
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

probably anything over 9999. Its probably a good honest 15k car but the question is will he find someone thats willing to pay it.
I'm a Mopar guy mostly, and about the only thing I know about Corvettes, is what I get from this forum!
That might be a scary thought, now that I think about it.......lol

Get notified of new replies

To 1986 Pace Car convertible. worth????

Old 06-10-2014, 01:22 PM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 524 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by violinsib
I'm 77 and finding it almost impossible to exit the car save falling out of it. I've had the car since new, always turns heads and getting compliments. It sat for awhile as I had a company car; now drive it fairly often; has 80k miles on it but looks and drives great. Like to get $10k. Has a couple of extras like a dealer installed radar detector; has a good quality cover comes with it. The interior and convertible top are saddle color; the pic incorrectly shows the interior of a lighter than it actually is (sun glare). Gets 25-28mpg on the highway using regular gas..no pings and no noticeable performance lags.
Did you ever live in the Space Coast of FL? I went to school with a guy there... he had a Dad that had this (or a darn near identical) 86 Pace Car in Dark Red Metallic.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:45 PM
jay1055
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Default 86

[QUOTE=violinsib;1587056175]I'm 77 and finding it almost impossible to exit the car save falling out of it. I've had the car since new, always turns heads and getting compliments. It sat for awhile as I had a company car; now drive it fairly often; has 80k miles on it but looks and drives great. Like to get $10k. Has a couple of extras like a dealer installed radar detector; has a good quality cover comes with it. The interior and convertible top are saddle color; the pic incorrectly shows the interior of a lighter than it actually is (sun glare). Gets 25-28mpg on the highway using regular gas..no pings and no noticeable performance lags.[/

in your pics you have a rh wheel on the lh side and 2 rh wheels on the rh side?
Old 06-10-2014, 06:25 PM
Bandit's C4
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Central PA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Congrats on posting on an 8 year old thread....

Quick Reply: 1986 Pace Car convertible. worth????