Notices
C4s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C4 Corvettes For Sale as well as Modified or Stock Corvettes

WTB: Looking to buy a 1986 'vette! Need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 12:49 AM
Deb Washere
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a 1986 'vette! Need advice!

Hi,I am new to the forum, but I am looking to buy a 1986 corvette. The guy is asking $9500.00 safetied. I only only of pictures of it so far, I am going to go look at it on Wednesday May, 19th, 2017. I am taking a friend who is a corvette buff and rebuilds cars as a hobby. He says the price is too high $9500.00 is way too much for a car that old. It is a convertible and the top has some damage. Guy says it runs well and has a rebuilt suspension. He has owned it for four years and it hasn't been driven much. Stored inside. What are potential problems I could face with this and what is a realistic purchase price? I'm a female, who has always wanted a corvette, but I don't want to buy a money pit! Lol... any reply, advice, tips etc, would be greatly appreciated, thanks so much! Ps I am in Canada, so keep that in mind as to the price values? Thanks! Deb
Old 04-18-2017, 01:37 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Post this question in the Regional section for your area and ask that someone who has owned and wrenched on a L98 Corvette go look at it before wasting your time.
A red flag goes up when the owner says it barely gets used. One of the worst things is for an old car to sit for a long time with little use.
The import process is not that bad according to many of our Canadian friends so look in your nearest U S border state too.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:38 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Deb Washere
Hi,I am new to the forum, but I am looking to buy a 1986 corvette. The guy is asking $9500.00 safetied. I only only of pictures of it so far, I am going to go look at it on Wednesday May, 19th, 2017. I am taking a friend who is a corvette buff and rebuilds cars as a hobby. He says the price is too high $9500.00 is way too much for a car that old. It is a convertible and the top has some damage. Guy says it runs well and has a rebuilt suspension. He has owned it for four years and it hasn't been driven much. Stored inside. What are potential problems I could face with this and what is a realistic purchase price? I'm a female, who has always wanted a corvette, but I don't want to buy a money pit! Lol... any reply, advice, tips etc, would be greatly appreciated, thanks so much! Ps I am in Canada, so keep that in mind as to the price values? Thanks! Deb
I have an 86 convertible. Unless that thing has a bar of gold under the seat, it's overpriced. Shoot me a PM if you want to ask any questions on that model. I don't know everything on it, but I do know some things. I do as much of my own repairs and maint as I can, so that's my back ground on it.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:23 AM
iluvgear1
Cruising

Hey Deb, although not an expert I agree with the others that the price is beyond optimistic. As a comparison look at the car I have for sale. If it interests you by all means get in touch. If not use it as an example of a car that is most likely in better condition at a lower price. Good luck with your search.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nvertible.html
Old 05-03-2017, 01:33 PM
ctrain22
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Deb,

Definitely over priced, at least in US dollars. I have an 88 convertible, automatic, that is a good daily driver, ac cold, newer top, seats redone, cluster repaired, runs great and I am asking $7500.

If prices in Canada are that much higher, you might want to consider coming to the states, buy one, and drive it back.

https://ventura.craigslist.org/cto/6065738967.html
Old 05-10-2017, 10:53 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,263 Likes on 1,447 Posts

hi Deb, the price asked is not out of touch with reality.

9500 cad = 6900 usd.

I live in Canada, in Calgary.

The age of these cars has nothing to do with their value. So that presumption made by your friend may not be accurate. If the 86 convertible is in excellent condition then I actually think 6900 is a bargain.
In our country it does not matter if The car is a 1996 or a 1986. Same same. What matters is the condition of the car.If you want to replace the seats you were looking at $1000 each if you want original leather OEM level replacement. if you are OK with fake leather then you can buy replacement seats for $500 each.If the interior carpet is shot, OEM replacement will cost you $700 delivered.

if the steering wheel is cracked and shot that can be replaced for $250.

if the weatherstripping is shot, that can be replaced for $900. This is OEM level replacement.All prices are in Canadian dollars and include shipping from the US up to us here.

if the car you're looking at is in excellent condition where none of the interior componentry needs to be replaced and it has passed a mechanical safety inspection, that price is a bargain.

there are heaps of people on this forum who have no idea of the true cost of restoring one of these cars. You will get to $20,000 cad very quickly. Again if the car is in great shape everything works no issues and you have had it inspected by a GM dealership or better yet a Corvette specialty house somewhere around you, that is a great price.One thing I cannot comment on Deb is the convertible top. I have never owned a convertible. There will be. complexities to do with the convertible top that I have never been faced with before and it would be a smart idea to have it thoroughly inspected by a Corvette shop.Like it or not, good quality Corvette C fours are going up at a very high paced in Canada. Personally I think the same thing is happening south of the border. There is just a huge supply in the United States of used up Corvettes masking the fact that buying one in pristine condition will cost you 15 grand.

that is my comments for you as one Canadian to another who has rebuilt and refurbished three of these cars in Calgary. Good luck and if you have any questions you can always PM me.

edit: I should mention that the prices I have quoted above for replacement parts does not include the labour cost of having somebody install them for you which typically you can simply double the cost of the part. It is not cheap by any stretch.

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 05-10-2017 at 10:55 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking to buy a 1986 'vette! Need advice!

Quick Reply: WTB: Looking to buy a 1986 'vette! Need advice!