Notices
C4s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C4 Corvettes For Sale as well as Modified or Stock Corvettes

FS: 1989 Roadster 6Spd. SoCal. low miles

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 05:34 PM
TierHog
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mickey5
The drivers seat back wear really hurts the overall appearance of your vert. I believe you could get a leather replacement for under $500 and easily install it yourself.

I did well selling my cars on CarGurus (which is free) and ebay. As noted by others this forum is not so good as most lookers already have a C4
I am actively looking for a C4, or 5 or...? But, thanks for the CarGuru advice, I'll take a look over there, as well. I'm also looking on Ebay.

Last edited by TierHog; 10-18-2017 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Clarifying
Old 10-17-2017, 08:22 PM
TierHog
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by CaptianJ
Yes it is.
Cool. I couldn't find you on Craig's. Did you mention you had a site where you had more pics, etc? What's that red button near the armrest?
Do you have Carfax or Autocheck?
How many owners prior to you?
I'm in CA, as well. I would prefer buying 'local', lol.
I appreciate that you wrote why you wanted to sell your Vette; so you can get a newer one. Reasons for selling helps.

While I don't think I could ever replace my ol' '68 that I had for 22 years (sold it many years ago), I'd like to try a 'newer' one myself. I haven't even sat in a newer than '68 Vette. So, I've just recently started shopping around for a 'new' Vette and am shocked to find that C4's and C5's can be comparable in price.
I'm tempted to go for the C5, but...I'm an older guy and I find the 'DigiDash' to be a time machine that I'd like to revisit. I remember those days.

Anyhow...pleased to meet you.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:15 PM
TierHog
Heel & Toe

I pulled down the craigslist ad because it seemed like a waste of time (scammers & looky-loos). The red button...don't push that! Just kidding, it's from a clifford alarm system that I removed from the car. I didn't want the added complexity or potential battery drain so out it came. All the pics I have on here were the same from the craigslist ad, I can take a pic of any area you like and post it.
I do not have carfax or autocheck, when I was looking over the car I could tell that it was completely original and the person I bought it from worked at the sheriffs dept (and if I couldn't trust him, who could I trust).
The first owner was a govt contractor working in the aerospace industry in Manhattan Beach / El Segundo area.. he had it for less than 8 months when his project was canceled, so he sold the car. The second owner had the car for 26yrs and used it only on weekends. The last seven spent mostly in storage (started and driven around the block once a month). It's easy to tell that it's spent its life garaged.
I drive it 4 days a week :-) . Let me know if you have any other questions or would like to see the car in person.

cheers- J
Thanks for describing the owner history. I think you're the 3rd?
You've detailed all the maintenance that has been done, which is incredible, do you have documentation on all that stuff?
Speaking of docs, do you have purchase history dating back to original owner, i.e. build sheet, window sticker, etc?
Looks like you've replaced and fixed probably everything, however is there anything else that you think might need attention (electrical, mechanical... the torn driver seat is not a deal breaker to me) after the purchase?
thank you!
Old 10-18-2017, 04:17 PM
TierHog
Heel & Toe

I am the third owner. I have the recites for all maintenance and kept all the old take-off parts with the exception of : radiator, fuel pump/filters, cat&mufflers (those got thrown away). I have none of the original purchase docs. I have an original service manual that goes with it.
The only thing I can think of (aside from maybe changing the fluids in the trans & dif) is putting back in the old IAC (engine idle air control valve). About every two months the idle decides to drop on me , which is not a big deal as it's not an automatic. I just unhook the battery for a minute or two (that resets the IAC) and the problem is solved. I'm due for an oil change next week and aside from that all lights, ac, horn, wipers, power seats, etc works as it should. She's not territorial- leaves no drips, puddles or spots. Again I have all the parts I've taken off/replaced- and the old injectors look good enough to recondition should you want an extra set. I hope this helps.

cheers- J
I'm a serious buyer, so I appreciate you answering my questions, I know you
understand.
Thank you.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:24 PM
TierHog
Heel & Toe

Absolutely, and I'm happy to answer any questions. I think that this forum is the exact place that you want to ask questions- chances are high that there is an expert or two out there that will read a thread/answer and call bs if someone isn't being straight shooter.

cheers- J

​​​​​​
I never thought about that... The knowledgeable folks that'll call BS. That is cool.
Also, what's cool about the folks in this thread is that they're are rooting for you.
And, I'm sure they're rooting for me to buy a great Vette.
I'm asking all these questions not only because I want a sound car for a fair price, but I'm gonna keep the one I buy for a long time (like my 68 that I had for 22 years). My young boys remember my old Vette, they miss it, they're always pointing out Vettes on the road. The Vette I get is gonna be part of our family.
Because you've spent money and time fixing and enjoying this car, I'm sure you care who it goes to. Rest assured, your efforts will not have been wasted. This car would be taken care of.
I read somewhere that we are only the caretaker of our Vette, until we pass it on to the next caretaker.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:38 PM
gunnerjuju
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Move to the east coast so I can buy this beauty. Just totaled my C7 and looking to get back into a C4. I went from a 89 to and 05 & then C7. Loved all 3 but miss the C4 more than any other car ever.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:02 AM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Popping in to say that is one great listing and vert. A very clean red on black '89 6 speed vert with the hard top... man what a combo! GLWS!

As an aside, if you want to try patching up that seat bolster, you may consider looking into a repair kit like Leather World's. Here's a thread on how its worked out well. Black is super easy to match. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...epair-diy.html
The following 2 users liked this post by JD Shredds:
CaptianJ (02-22-2018), Steven_Belgium (08-07-2019)
Old 04-27-2018, 06:50 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by gunnerjuju
Move to the east coast so I can buy this beauty. Just totaled my C7 and looking to get back into a C4. I went from a 89 to and 05 & then C7. Loved all 3 but miss the C4 more than any other car ever.

Not to Hi-Jack.... but I gotta say...
This is a true a testament to how awesome the C4 platform is.... Im in the same school of thought... Had a C3, C4's, 2 C5 Z06's ... now Im back in a C4... Nothing like the feel of the C4 platform.
The following users liked this post:
CaptianJ (04-30-2018)
Old 05-13-2018, 09:20 AM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

I cant understand how this car isn't sold yet.... well taken care of, manual transmission... red/black... convertible....
Old 05-14-2018, 12:11 PM
V8 Stingray
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Aside from going to car shows, I haven't had anyone look at this car.... not a single call or request. I don't get it?..
Unfortunately its a year on the wrong side for any of us Europeans (import/customs is expensive on anything not 30yrs old yet) - so we all stick to '88 and older.

In saying that, I've just imported an '89 vert - near identical to yours, but only because the commercials were attractive - I paid 8kUSD including the hard top. I know this model isnt yet desirable in the US - but I'd advise holding out longer if you really want to sell at this price.

Alternatively if youre interested in doing a deal ping me a PM.

Steven_Belgium (08-05-2019)
Old 05-15-2018, 09:36 AM
GRIS
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 81c3
I cant understand how this car isn't sold yet.... well taken care of, manual transmission... red/black... convertible....
EXACTLY! THIS IS PRECISELY THE CAR I WANTED BEFORE I GAVE UP AND BOUGHT MY '95. WANNA TRADE FOR A '95 RED CONVERTIBLE
Old 05-15-2018, 10:30 PM
RetroGuy
Drifting

Received 506 Likes on 311 Posts
Default ???

1989 Chevy Corvette Roadster. Excellent condition with original paint. 58k miles. No accidents, never hit. Last year of the "Atari" interior and first year of the ZF 6 speed manual transmission. Ice cold AC.Runs fantastic. Cloth top and back window are in excellent condition , hard top with stand also included. Two sets of factory keys and a service manual included. Clean title in hand and will smog for the next caretaker. Everything works as it should . Ready to go.
$11000
Did your '89 Roadster sell yet??? I could be easily enticed!

Last edited by RetroGuy; 05-15-2018 at 10:32 PM.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:01 PM
My85
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At Ruby's in Redondo Tonight ...fwiw
Great looking convertible. Love the c4 platform! I agree with the others keep the top with the car. Good luck with Sale!
Old 06-05-2018, 09:18 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Just keep it, yours may be worth 10k to a fanatic all day long but the avg C4 buyer is too cheap
CaptianJ (06-05-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 05:18 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

If you were on the East coast and it looks as good up close you would have a buyer.
Old 08-05-2019, 03:48 PM
Steven_Belgium
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Very nice !
CaptianJ (08-07-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 12:12 PM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

That hard top would sure look good on my '90. Wouldn't even have to paint it. LOL

Seriously, Enjoy it this fall, then put it away til next next spring. Sometimes its better to let it rest awhile, then start fresh.

Good luck!
CaptianJ (08-12-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To 1989 Roadster 6Spd. SoCal. low miles

Old 08-09-2019, 01:46 PM
Steven_Belgium
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

[QUOTE=mickey5;1599936542]

Seriously, Enjoy it this fall, then put it away til next next spring. Sometimes its better to let it rest awhile, then start fresh.
QUOTE]

I would suggest this too.....
Next year the chances will also be better to sell the car to a European buyer .
If only I had the money
CaptianJ (08-12-2019)
Old 08-11-2019, 09:13 AM
GRIS
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by GRIS
EXACTLY! THIS IS PRECISELY THE CAR I WANTED BEFORE I GAVE UP AND BOUGHT MY '95. WANNA TRADE FOR A '95 RED CONVERTIBLE
I'M STILL IN LOVE WITH THIS CAR
CaptianJ (08-12-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 12:04 PM
CaptianJ
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Fresh oil change last night

Quick Reply: FS: 1989 Roadster 6Spd. SoCal. low miles