Notices
C5 Corvettes for Sale Classifieds: Used C5 Corvettes for sale as well as modified or stock Corvettes

Will used C5 Prices drop much further

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 06:27 PM
BadC5
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Will used C5 Prices drop much further (Leonard J. Plaitano)

I live in the midwest....(Kansas) and found out today from some buyers at auctions that the C5's pricing is increasing at the auctions.... Could be because of the warmer weather coming back..
Old 03-02-2004, 10:47 AM
gnosys
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Will used C5 Prices drop much further (BadC5)

Just listed my C5 here today. I don't really expect to sell it from this forum, as most buyers won't look here - just referrees and field judges! Still, it's a good place to get the photos up and you can link to it, right? And you never know, someone may want just what I have to sell.
The way I see it, Corvette buyers fall into two major groups - those who are internet-savvy and those who are not. The latter tend to buy their cars locally and pay way too much for them. The former will scout a deal and dicker lower, if possible.
I'm putting my C5 in the local paper, too! Lots of retirees down this way who don't want to pay top nickel for a new one. As for the effect of the C6, it can't hurt C5 prices too much because they will not make any more C5s. Once dealer inventories of new C5s dry up, a new Vette will cost 50K and up. For at least a year or two. Also C6 is a modest re-engineering of the C5 - some may even say a step backwards. I think medium term forecast for C5 is pretty good. :cheers:
Old 03-02-2004, 12:37 PM
mike229
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Re: Will used C5 Prices drop much further (gnosys)

I agree:

1. Warmer Weather
2. 2004 C5s will be gone - or very limited in colors/options
3. C6s will be MSRP plus Premium
4. Used C5s will eventually start thinning at the dealer

Equals - market value holding steady, or increasing very slightly for the near term...

[Modified by mike229, 9:56 PM 3/2/2004]
Old 03-02-2004, 07:53 PM
Double Aught
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

----Just listed my C5 here today. I don't really expect to sell it from this forum, as most buyers won't look here - just referrees and field judges!-----:lol: How true!!!
---The way I see it, Corvette buyers fall into two major groups - those who are internet-savvy and those who are not. The latter tend to buy their cars locally and pay way too much for them. The former will scout a deal and dicker lower, if possible.----:D That'd be me!!!
----As for the effect of the C6, it can't hurt C5 prices too much because they will not make any more C5s. Once dealer inventories of new C5s dry up, a new Vette will cost 50K and up. For at least a year or two. Also C6 is a modest re-engineering of the C5 - some may even say a step backwards. I think medium term forecast for C5 is pretty good. :cheers:
I agree.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:30 PM
drtonyprimo
Racer

Finally..............someone I can agree with! :hurray:
Old 03-03-2004, 03:20 PM
M_T_0
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ok i'm a buyer but what i am looking at is
a. buy a new 2004 and deal with the deprec.
b. wait for the 2005 and deal with the deprec. (god i hate 1st year cars)
c. buy a used c5.

but here is the rub, if i buy a new one deprec. is something i can live with but if i buy used and then still have to deal with a steep deprec. curve (due to the release of the new model) i will be pissed. so i think that what i will do is wait for 12 months and see and in the meantime put more $ in the covette fund and be prepared for what ever. I hope that the guys selling right now dont take it personaly but i think the buyers are unwilling to take the large hit that we see comming for the c5 values especilly just before it happens. if you dont believe that there will be a large drop in value for the c5 then more power to you, but I will bet that the value wont go up 12 months from now. also just the unknown parts of this dynamic would tend to cause the price to be lower in the short term.

So i guess all that i can say is hold on to your mint 2003 EB vert 6spd with f55 and i will have more to pick from in 12 months. jk

PS: been there with having a 2 year old car when a new model comes out and cant get your pay off out of the sucker. so best of luck but please keep in mind that we buyers are not out to hurt you we just dont want to the last one standing when the music stops.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:39 PM
steveT-UK
Instructor

Default Re: Will used C5 Prices drop much further (M_T_0)

:iagree:
I have been watching the prices for 2 months and they have dropped,The same cars go round and round on the Ebay site .When people who have bought a new 04 at the huge discounted prices being offered at this time , what will the dealers be offering on part exchange for a C6 they won'nt be offering anywhere near what was paid for it , they always knock the depreciation of the selling price not mrsp.
Well thats the way I see it just hope from my point of view (a buyer) that I'm right I am desperate for a corvette! :cheers:
Old 03-03-2004, 07:24 PM
legendzzz
Racer

:iagree: Hey Lenny someone I can agree with also, and whats this old guy stuff?? Can not find your age listed which means (old guy in the lurking!!) As I said before time is not on sellers side(and old guys also, Right Lenny!!LOL!!) If you(sellers) really think prices will go up to what you want and higher than you want in 12 months I think you will have a big problem. The car is a year older and even though there will be none made(new) the C5 is the MOST produced vette EVER!! Which means PLENTY around to choose from and the best cheaper ones will be sold first , and then the numbers of people looking for a C5 dwindles down(how many people are looking for a C5 that you know ?? Not many??) It is a special car and not one that all want to buy. In most cases it is a second or third car which is driven on weekends and special times (look at all the low mile used ones) If you look in to practical the vette is not there :lolg: pick up the kids, get the groceries, get the 2x4 to build the dog house!! Are you kidding!! :lolg: :lolg: But it is a GREAT car for a few people(like us) who do not need it for an every day and practical car. Sell your car now and do not wait, I am sure everyone can get close to a decent price and go on to the next problems of the C6??? LOL!! :eek: :cheers: :eek:
Old 03-03-2004, 09:16 PM
zeeman
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Will used C5 Prices drop much further (nephewryan)

Who cares!!!!!!! If they keep dropping? Mine is for sale @ $41K and that is a FIRM price.......So, as you can readily figure out..... I plan on retaining mine for quite sometime......That is unless, an offer comes my way......Buy one now....!! If I was worried about my purchase losing money...I would never buy another Corvette.....Enjoy today because you may not be around tomorrow.......ZMan
Old 03-03-2004, 10:35 PM
gnosys
Drifting

Default Re: Will used C5 Prices drop much further (Zeeman)

Who cares!!!!!!! If they keep dropping? Mine is for sale @ $41K and that is a FIRM price.......So, as you can readily figure out..... I plan on retaining mine for quite sometime......ZMan
I like your attitude. Here's how I see it: the market place will set the prices. C5's are like 90 per cent as capable as a C6, from all indications. They don't suffer from the Impala interior, either! GM has decided that Corvettes should be more vanilla, more mainstream. So be it - but I'm no longer in the queue for a C6. My guess is plenty of other C5 owners are having second thoughts on it, as well. Sooo.... long story short - the difference between the C5 and C4 was monumental. The diff. between C6 and C5 is much, much less so. They are not going to be making any more C5s. How cheap do you think they can go? You can pick up a C4 for 15K easily. But it's not a C5. My guess is that C5s will pretty much hold the slide when the only thing close to its performance/style is a C6 at 50K. A mint C5 will start to look darned attractive at 32-35K in a year or so.
Also, if they drop too much they'll be so affordable the ricers will be snatching them up and committing vehicular suicide at too high a rate for anyone to accept. :lol: :smash:
Old 03-04-2004, 08:50 AM
mike229
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Very well put.... :iagree:
Old 03-04-2004, 09:50 AM
joeking
Safety Car

Received 294 Likes on 198 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Will used C5 Prices drop much further (mike229)

The C5 has many many improvements over the C4 therefore I believe it
will hold its value for a long time to come. There are 2 main reasons I really
love the C5. 1. The composite body that doesnt seem to stress crack like
the 96 and older Corvettes do. 2. The 345-350 hp engine is so powerful
and smooth why would you want anything else?
Old 03-05-2004, 12:48 AM
M_T_0
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Will used C5 Prices drop much further (joeking)

The C5 has many many improvements over the C4 therefore I believe it
will hold its value for a long time to come. There are 2 main reasons I really
love the C5. 1. The composite body that doesnt seem to stress crack like
the 96 and older Corvettes do. 2. The 345-350 hp engine is so powerful
and smooth why would you want anything else?
c4 lt4 = 330hp c5 ls1 = 350hp c6 ls2 = 400hp

have been told by some that i trust that the lt4 c4 was a little quicker than the c5.

c4 to c5 6.06% increase c5 to c6 = 14.28%

c4 = 5.7l, c5= 5.7l c6 = 6.0l

IMO 0.3l of displacment makes a lot of room for power adders

I think if you look at it objectivly the performance increase in the c5 to c6 change is just about the same as the increase that happened with the c4 to c5 change. I like the c5 I also like the c6 as well as the c4 but i don't agree that there isn't a significant change between the c5 and c6.

:steering:
Old 03-05-2004, 12:32 PM
jcbob
Pro

Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Will used C5 Prices drop much further (mike229)

I agree:

1. Warmer Weather

Equals - market value holding steady, or increasing very slightly for the near term...

:iagree: I think as the supply of good used C5's dries up, it will eventually shift back to a seller's market. However, there are some fantastic deals on new C5's out there right now!!!! :thumbs:
Old 03-05-2004, 12:40 PM
johnrobins
Intermediate

Default Re: Will used C5 Prices drop much further (jcbob)

:iagree:

Don't you guys agree that it is REALLY A SELLER'S MARKET with respect to C4's, since the supply of good C4's have really dried up!!! :jester

LOL!
Old 03-05-2004, 06:40 PM
souroull
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Will used C5 Prices drop much further (johnrobins)

1st week: ebay, 514 vettes for sale
3nd week (now ) : ebay 592 vettes for sale with the price dropping ~2k for the 20k ones i'm looking for
When the C6 is released:
ebay: over 1k vettes for sale
dealers: tons of trade in cars for dirt cheap
just a thought
Old 03-05-2004, 07:58 PM
johnrobins
Intermediate

Default Re: Will used C5 Prices drop much further (souroull)

Come on, let's all PRETEND and go along with the charade that car values go up with the passage of time!

Unless you keep your car for 30 years in mint condition with low miles and all original parts, it will generally depreciate. Of course there are exceptions.

Get notified of new replies

To Will used C5 Prices drop much further

Old 03-05-2004, 08:21 PM
repo
Team Owner

Location: "when lightning strikes twice, the funerals insane, the funerals insane"
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
St Jude Donor '14-'15

Default Re: Will used C5 Prices drop much further (myfirstvetc6)

I'm listening to your responses, I'm interested in Buying an M. Yellow vert 6spd, year 2000-2001, the prices i see sellers asking for is only 9g less than the same new car. What is the best decision to make, that is should I buy a 01 for around 30-32g's or should I purchase a 04 for about 46 g's??? Help, any thoughts?? :confused:
How is that 9 grand? Its like 16. :confused:
Old 03-05-2004, 08:23 PM
repo
Team Owner

Location: "when lightning strikes twice, the funerals insane, the funerals insane"
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
St Jude Donor '14-'15

Default Re: Will used C5 Prices drop much further (jcbob)

I agree:

1. Warmer Weather

:iagree: I think as the supply of good used C5's dries up, it will eventually shift back to a seller's market. However, there are some fantastic deals on new C5's out there right now!!!! :thumbs:
And the total differnece between buying now and waiting 6 months might be 2-3 grand tops. Buy now, and foregt about it. Geez, are all you guys going to live forever? :p:
Old 03-05-2004, 08:33 PM
legendzzz
Racer

Default Re: Will used C5 Prices drop much further (repo)

Well if they live forever as some say there Vettes will be worth $4,000,000,000.00 and then they may sell them?? :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg:

Quick Reply: Will used C5 Prices drop much further