C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

show me your fi fuel system

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 08:31 PM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default show me your fi fuel system

title says it all!
please also indicate your torque and hp too!
Old 07-31-2005, 09:40 PM
Tony @ MPH
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am doing a little work to mine (excuse the messy hose/wiring going everywhere). Here are the basics:

FAST fuel rails
Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator
Twin Walbro fuel pumps mounted in fender well
Hidden surge tank near main fuel tanks
Racetronix in-tank pump

As you can see, the regulator is mounted on the passenger rail. The driver rail crosses over to the regulator. I feed fuel, one pump per rail, on the part of the rail concealed near the firewall. The 6AN hose just hops over near the brake booster and down into the fender well.

I had a different surge tank hidden elsewhere but it was seeing pressure and it burst the aircraft style lid seal. So I went with a different tank that's a little smaller but can see high pressure with no problems (custom fabbed out of aluminum).

I am actually worried the Walbro pumps will push too much fuel and overcome the regulator!

Again, excuse the mess in the engine bay and near the pumps, I am still cleaning everything up.

Old 07-31-2005, 10:09 PM
VETZILLA
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by diynoob
I am doing a little work to mine (excuse the messy hose/wiring going everywhere). Here are the basics:

FAST fuel rails
Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator
Twin Walbro fuel pumps mounted in fender well
Hidden surge tank near main fuel tanks
Racetronix in-tank pump

As you can see, the regulator is mounted on the passenger rail. The driver rail crosses over to the regulator. I feed fuel, one pump per rail, on the part of the rail concealed near the firewall. The 6AN hose just hops over near the brake booster and down into the fender well.

I had a different surge tank hidden elsewhere but it was seeing pressure and it burst the aircraft style lid seal. So I went with a different tank that's a little smaller but can see high pressure with no problems (custom fabbed out of aluminum).

I am actually worried the Walbro pumps will push too much fuel and overcome the regulator!

Again, excuse the mess in the engine bay and near the pumps, I am still cleaning everything up.

Hmmmmm, someone is getting ready to do some very naughty things with their car

Looks good hope you will be able to hear the engine over the fuel pump whine, so when are we going to see how much boost can be squeezed out of the TTi X. Might as well get the blueprints for backhalfing the car from SR71 I see you have been completely turned to the dark side like him.

Where are you putting your inline filter, mine fits nicely up above the drivers side tank in the tunnel.

Mike

Last edited by VETZILLA; 07-31-2005 at 10:11 PM.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:20 PM
SR71
Burning Brakes

I have 2 of the very same fuel pumps hanging under my drag cell. I didn't spend the coin for new rails though. I'm a cheap bastich. took the 2 #6's from the pumps into a #8 to the frount. I then hollowed out the pulse damper and welded a #8 fitting to it and hooked the feed to it. I cut the factory flex line and installed a regualtor there. the factory feed line is now the return. no fuel problems yet.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:35 PM
VETZILLA
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SR71
I have 2 of the very same fuel pumps hanging under my drag cell. I didn't spend the coin for new rails though. I'm a cheap bastich. took the 2 #6's from the pumps into a #8 to the frount. I then hollowed out the pulse damper and welded a #8 fitting to it and hooked the feed to it. I cut the factory flex line and installed a regualtor there. the factory feed line is now the return. no fuel problems yet.

Just another example of R. N. E. in its finest form.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:34 PM
Tony @ MPH
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by VETZILLA
Hmmmmm, someone is getting ready to do some very naughty things with their car
Lol... well, I don't think 15psi is really all that naughty... we'll see how it goes and if I can squeeze even more out of this setup.

Looks good hope you will be able to hear the engine over the fuel pump whine, so when are we going to see how much boost can be squeezed out of the TTi X. Might as well get the blueprints for backhalfing the car from SR71 I see you have been completely turned to the dark side like him.
Thanks It looks a little rough right now but I don't think this is too far out of the ordinary. Also the fuel pump whine is really not that bad. The two smaller pumps whine quite a bit less than some of the single large pumps I've heard, and they are barely audible over the engine. In fact they really don't whine any louder than the in-tank pump does, you just hear the whine behind you AND in front of you.

Again, I've had this type of fuel system running before, it ran great for 2-3 hours with zero pressure issues... and then the surge tank itself blew a seal. And although I had zero fuel pressure issues I had a smell and safety issue to contend with.

Where are you putting your inline filter, mine fits nicely up above the drivers side tank in the tunnel.
Mike
My filter is sitting right around where yours is... right after the in-tank pump and before the surge tank.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:15 AM
AVB
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you put anything in there that creates 45-50psi in front of the intank? If you haven't yet? I would suggest keeping a gallon of gas with you.

I have a fairly identical setup except for the rail type and I don't have the surge in place yet. However, when my gauge showed an 1/8th of a tank the car all of a sudden lost pressure and died. I thought the intank pump may have died and sat 4 hours waiting for a flatbed. When I got her home I checked things out and they were fine. Dumped a gallon into her and she fired right up. Ran around w/ a gallon w/ me and tested it and it did the same thing.

After I put a regulator in between the pumps I hadn't had the problem.

If it isn't happening then great.. but until you've actually run it for awhile and know you're actually going through a complete tank, keep it with you.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:45 AM
Z06GMAN
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Here you go.

There are better Pictures at the FLP web site. I should be good to about 2000 rwhp
Old 08-01-2005, 09:16 AM
Tony @ MPH
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by magdc5
Did you put anything in there that creates 45-50psi in front of the intank? If you haven't yet? I would suggest keeping a gallon of gas with you.
Yes, I've heard this is an issue from xtream1 and jbsblownc5. I have EFILive so I can monitor the output of the fuel level senders in both tanks and get a good sense of how the system works with and without the regulator. I know I already have some backpressure in the system because that caused my old surge tank to blow a seal.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:18 AM
Tony @ MPH
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Z06GMAN
There are better Pictures at the FLP web site. I should be good to about 2000 rwhp
Nice Gary! See, I knew my setup wasn't all that radical. I'm estimating mine is probably good past 1000rwhp but I'm not sure how far. At about 800-900rwhp I suspect I'll need to do something about the in-tank pump to keep my surge more full.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:24 AM
SS930
Burning Brakes

Has anyone tried running twin in-tank Racetronix pumps (or 255's) into a "Y", using a -8 line to the front, with an aftermarket fuel reg like DIYNOOB has, and use the factory line as a return?

I'm going to be upgrading in the future and was thinking this might be a cheap and effective system... w/o all the noise.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:46 AM
xtream1
Drifting

Location: Stealth So Cal GOCC ...comming to invade your neighborhood soon

I've got an in-line Bosch pump with Aeromotive filter feeding a '97 line set / front mounted rail/regulator system all comming from a rear mounted custom surge tank and return regulator. Both the in-line pump and front regulator are boost referenced but not the LPE in-tank.

This system has successfully supported full boost with no gauge perssure drop in all the conditions that we (JB and myself) could think of...Stop and go traffic, boosted pulls with less than 1/8 tank of hot gas, high "G" corners under boost, 6000 ft elevation climbs while continuously boosting, being able to run the gauge into the red, etc. After going through a few other recommended set-ups that I was told held on everybody else's car but would fail on mine I can confidently say that this combination works as it should.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:27 AM
Tony @ MPH
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SS930
Has anyone tried running twin in-tank Racetronix pumps (or 255's) into a "Y", using a -8 line to the front, with an aftermarket fuel reg like DIYNOOB has, and use the factory line as a return?

I'm going to be upgrading in the future and was thinking this might be a cheap and effective system... w/o all the noise.
I think the problem with running larger/more pumps in the tank was available space and the fuel level sender. It's been a few years since I went in my fuel tank so I don't recall specifically, but that's what I've been told.

I know a few people have put larger pumps inside the tank successfully, but it was purportedly a tight fit for whatever reason, and the fuel level sender didn't function as it was supposed to.

Also, by simply upgrading the in-tank pumps, you still have a separate fuel starvation issue that can start to occur around 1/4 tank. The bucket for the factory fuel pump is supposed to help solve fuel starvation under acceleration/high Gs, and it does for mild/stock setups... but when you start talking about 500rwhp+ FI setups, it's just dangerous to run your car below 1/4 tank as that's the point (at least on mine) where your A/F starts to go lean.

Again, FWIW, the twin Walbros I have do not make that much noise. Unless you're running stock heads/cam and stock exhaust you won't notice the pumps.

If only our factory fuel tanks were sumped and baffled, this whole thing would just be a matter of dropping an 8AN bulkhead fitting into the sump and putting a monster fuel pump outside of the tank.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:51 AM
AVB
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Some pumps do make some noise.. One of my inlines was loud and pretty noticeable.. the other was very quiet. Make sure the vendor you get it from is able to take it back for an exchange if that becomes the case..

I got it exchanged and they're now barely noticeable..
Old 08-01-2005, 12:19 PM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW, I'm getting by with 60 # injectors, a Wahlboro (Racetronix) fuel pump, and spraying a little meth. The meth is totally optional with my setup, however.

Mark
Old 08-01-2005, 12:20 PM
SS930
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by diynoob
I think the problem with running larger/more pumps in the tank was available space and the fuel level sender. It's been a few years since I went in my fuel tank so I don't recall specifically, but that's what I've been told.

I know a few people have put larger pumps inside the tank successfully, but it was purportedly a tight fit for whatever reason, and the fuel level sender didn't function as it was supposed to.
Can anyone comment on this? I think the F-body guys have been doing this for a while with good results... but I've never seen the vette setup.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:22 PM
SS930
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by magdc5
Some pumps do make some noise.. One of my inlines was loud and pretty noticeable.. the other was very quiet. Make sure the vendor you get it from is able to take it back for an exchange if that becomes the case..

I got it exchanged and they're now barely noticeable..
Yeah, I know some make a lot of noise... I've been down that road many times and I'd like to avoid it if possible. I don't mind (I even like) the sound of a Procharger, but FP's drive me !!!

Get notified of new replies

To show me your fi fuel system

Old 08-14-2005, 06:23 PM
SS930
Burning Brakes

TTT... please post more ideas if you have them!

Gary, who is FLP? Do you have any more details on your system? Are those bulkhead fittings installed in your factory tanks? If so are there any issues with doing so? Any in tank baffles? How is the system laid out and what components were used?

DIY, where did you get your surge tank? Do you have any pics of it and how (where) it's mounted? So you have the intank pump feeding the surge tank which is located in the back and the twin external pumps mounted in the front behind your FL tire? Usually the external pumps are mounted near the tank because while they do a great job of pushing fuel, they are poor at pulling in fuel.

Old 08-14-2005, 06:32 PM
Skunkworks
Melting Slicks

TTT... who is FLP?...

FLP is Finish Line Performance at www.flp2win.com located in Naperville outside Chicago. I’ve spoken to them a few times.

Mike
Old 08-14-2005, 06:46 PM
Z06GMAN
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '06

TTT... please post more ideas if you have them!

Gary, who is FLP? Do you have any more details on your system? Are those bulkhead fittings installed in your factory tanks? If so are there any issues with doing so? Any in tank baffles? How is the system laid out and what components were used?

DIY, where did you get your surge tank? Do you have any pics of it and how (where) it's mounted? So you have the intank pump feeding the surge tank which is located in the back and the twin external pumps mounted in the front behind your FL tire? Usually the external pumps are mounted near the tank because while they do a great job of pushing fuel, they are poor at pulling in fuel.

Hi, That is right it is Finish Line. I would call there and talk to Dan Bills, he designed the system first for a 427 blower vette and a few other cars before he did mine. They say it is good for 2000 HP.

Quick Reply: show me your fi fuel system