C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cudos To Darton...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 10:21 PM
jak112460
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette4ever
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. My MTI engine has been running strong for 3.5 years and I've never had an issue with their customer service considering that I live on the other side of the world.

Good Luck
Like I said, there has to be customers that are happy with their service. I'm just not one of them. What are the specs on your car?
Old 03-19-2006, 11:53 PM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That isn't saying anything. The person who said he was happy has a C5-R - not a Darton sleeve setup.

Mark
Old 03-20-2006, 06:59 AM
supercoupe01
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jak112460
I just got my car finished from having the A4 swap done and decided I wanted a little more boost to make up for HP loss due to the new tranny when the motor blew a head gasket on the dyno. 12 psi is what the boost was when the gasket blew. The motor is a MTI 427, Darton sleeved, and supercharged. I called MTI about the gasket and they said they never recommend anything over eight pounds even though they built the motor for supercharged application and it made more than eight pounds in their shop. In fact they never said anything like that when my car was in their shop. I did a huge thread on the problems experienced with MTI. Do a search. Also while talking with David, at MTI, he expressed that they have quit using Darton sleeves due to problems. I called Darton and asked about boost and problems with their sleeves etc. Long story short. The rep at Darton tracked me down, through Xtreme Motorsports, where my car is now, and wanted to talk to me further. I called Darton and the president of the company got on the phone and indicated his dismay with the workmanship at MTI in installing their sleeves. In fact he told me, frankly, that he would not be comfortable if that block was in his car. His words were that he had zero confidence in the block in my car. The president of Darton offered to take my motor and give me a brand new block that they would prep and install my components and others that they felt would be up to their standards. No charge to me other than the removal and installation of the motor. They said they have replced other blocks with shoddy workmanship already. I know a few guys are going to tell me how great MTI is and how I'm full of crap. I wasn't lucky enough to have a quality experience. Anyway, I cannot think of many companies that would make the kind of offer that Darton made. These sleeves were designed with John Lingenfelter among others and are used in many applications seeing way more than 12 psi. It is amazing when a president of a company takes a hands on approach like what happened at Darton. I also want to say that the remarks I said about MTI are from my personal experiences and many people are probably happy with their services. To be honest, I am glad that I will have the piece of mind that my engine is properly prepared. I will report back once everything is done and give my experience with Darton after the motor is finished and back in my car.
Sorry to hear about your problems. Kudos to Darton for stepping up to the plate.

My darton block has held up great but I am not pushing boost like you guys.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:59 AM
jak112460
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by supercoupe01
Sorry to hear about your problems. Kudos to Darton for stepping up to the plate.

My darton block has held up great but I am not pushing boost like you guys.
Was your block prepped by MTI?

Quick Reply: Cudos To Darton...