C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Woes... Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 11:45 AM
NAVY08
Race Director

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Default Transmission Woes... Suggestions?

Ok Here is my deal setup: STS TT base turbo’s 5 lbs of boost, and slightly modified STS Base safe tune. So its not making a whole lot of power yet.
Transmission, MN6 60,000 miles on it, 10,000 from me, don’t know how the car was driven for the first 50k But when i got it, the clutch was already starting to go, (replaced it with a SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch and Billet Flywheel which I love) and the Syncro's weren’t perfect when I bought it.
Problem, I cant power shift into 2nd... at all, and basically the only way I can get into second is to baby it in and perfectly rpm match, Which as you can imagine has been killing my drag strip time. (best 60' 1.5s Best ET 13.1 ) My best ET stock was 13.5 on street tires the runs with the turbo’s have been on Hoosier DR's.

So my options as I see it, take it to a tranny shop and see if they can fix or replace the syncros (how much will i spend?) or spend a good, all be it well invested Chunk of change on a unit from Rodney at RPM. I know from personal experience in his dealings with a Good buddy of mine that Rodney backs up his product and turns out a work of art.

Now Here is part two, do I stay with the MN6 or go to a MN12. I have the stock gears in my 2000 coupe, whatever tehy are. I will also go with hardened output shafts at this time, either from RPM or from LPE who i have also has great experiences with. I don’t only drag race the car I also auto cross and it’s my daily driver as long as their isn’t snow on the ground if you want to take that into consideration. Any suggestions at all, or alternatives that I may not have mentioned are welcome. Also, how hard is it to swap a manual Trans? I’ve helped bolt up an auto and it didn’t seem too bad if you had the proper tools, I may consider doing it myself, we have a auto hobby shop here on base, that would make a good weekend project with a few buddies. Wow now that I’ve written a novel on the subject…
Old 09-22-2006, 12:28 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Sounds like it is time to get an upgrade tranny from Rodney.

Since you are not making big HP numbers you can save a couple of bucks and skip the hardened main shaft. Since Rodney does the rears also, you might as well send that out to him too.

Also you live in the local area to FedEx freight which RPM uses, It's off of Egypt road (Hollow Rd).

I bought the works from RPM for mine MN5 and my brothers M12 tranny.

The stock gears are a 3.42 in the rear. Since you drag race and auto-x, I would stick with MN6 tranny as you might find the gear ratio not as useful at the strip as you may to shift to soon or often to the close gearing and large drop off between 2nd and 3rd.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:48 PM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================== Houston, Texas www.englandgreen.com ================== Necessary Evil™ __________
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Yep, get a Rodney (RPM) tranny
Old 09-22-2006, 01:34 PM
FastCashDave
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by EnglandGreen

Rodney is your man
Old 09-22-2006, 02:03 PM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't bother with the syncros unless you plan on tearing about the entire trans. There is no way of telling what all is wrong until the whole thing is pulled apart. That being said, I would get an M6 (not an M12) trans from RPM and use your existing trans as a core.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:26 PM
BLOWNZO6
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I would never speed shift my car.

You are going to start experiencing a lot more problems as you make more power if you continue to speed shift it.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:03 PM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...rrent=atco.flv

sorry to here bob!!!

just call todd @ rpm...... GIVE IT NO MORE THOUGHT

bob understand that itll never end.....sorry to say
Old 09-22-2006, 03:57 PM
NAVY08
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Thanks guys, this is kinda the answer I was expecting, so ill go with the RPM unit, any suggestions on the level IV or V?

What are you all running, and what about installing it, is it a PITA or with some good help do you think it can be banged out in a weekend with proper tools and some expert advice?

http://www.rpmtransmissions.com/index_007.htm

Last edited by NAVY08; 09-22-2006 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:59 PM
BLOWNZO6
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by NAVY08
Thanks guys, this is kinda the answer I was expecting, so ill go with the RPM unit, any suggestions on the level IV or V?

What are you all running, and what about installing it, is it a PITA or with some good help do you think it can be banged out in a weekend with proper tools and some expert advice?
If you have access to a lift it will be pretty easy.

If you are doing it on your back... still doable but I would guess twice the time.

A good time for a DTE brace if you don't already have one.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:10 PM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

suggestions on the level IV or V?
Why V of course.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:15 PM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08

[QUOTE=NAVY08]

some good help do you think it can be banged out in a weekend with proper tools and some expert advice?

MY REPLY

hrmmmmm there seems to me a subliminal message there.....hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe heheh
Old 09-22-2006, 05:37 PM
NAVY08
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

[QUOTE=NICK YOSKIN]

some good help do you think it can be banged out in a weekend with proper tools and some expert advice?

MY REPLY

hrmmmmm there seems to me a subliminal message there.....hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe heheh
I was going to do it here on base , I know you are buisy, but if you want to help, and lisa wont be mad at us (maybe ill bring a fruit basket or something) thar would be awesome, Ill probably be doing T1 sway bars and maybe Z06 springs at the same time, but it wont be till like december im planning ahead, if your intrested, let me know id love the help
Old 09-22-2006, 05:50 PM
roythomas
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EnglandGreen
rodney..rodeny he's the man !!! he can build a tranny like no one man !!!!.....just messing . for sure i'm happy so far with his tranny.. it has had no mercey from me
Old 09-22-2006, 05:53 PM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08

[QUOTE=NAVY08]
Originally Posted by NICK YOSKIN

I was going to do it here on base , I know you are buisy, but if you want to help, and lisa wont be mad at us (maybe ill bring a fruit basket or something) thar would be awesome, Ill probably be doing T1 sway bars and maybe Z06 springs at the same time, but it wont be till like december im planning ahead, if your intrested, let me know id love the help

bob i am sure we can work something out
Old 09-22-2006, 05:57 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

http://www.rpmtransmissions.com/index_007.htm

If you don't plan on turning up the HP over 550RWHP, you would be fine with a level IV, if you plan on going higher I would get a level V and save the time and cost to rebuild and re-install.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:06 PM
Yano
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Ok Here is my deal setup: STS TT base turbo’s 5 lbs of boost, and slightly modified STS Base safe tune. So its not making a whole lot of power yet.
Transmission, MN6 60,000 miles on it, 10,000 from me, don’t know how the car was driven for the first 50k But when i got it, the clutch was already starting to go, (replaced it with a SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch and Billet Flywheel which I love) and the Syncro's weren’t perfect when I bought it.
Problem, I cant power shift into 2nd... at all, and basically the only way I can get into second is to baby it in and perfectly rpm match, Which as you can imagine has been killing my drag strip time. (best 60' 1.5s Best ET 13.1 ) My best ET stock was 13.5 on street tires the runs with the turbo’s have been on Hoosier DR's.

So my options as I see it, take it to a tranny shop and see if they can fix or replace the syncros (how much will i spend?) or spend a good, all be it well invested Chunk of change on a unit from Rodney at RPM. I know from personal experience in his dealings with a Good buddy of mine that Rodney backs up his product and turns out a work of art.

Now Here is part two, do I stay with the MN6 or go to a MN12. I have the stock gears in my 2000 coupe, whatever tehy are. I will also go with hardened output shafts at this time, either from RPM or from LPE who i have also has great experiences with. I don’t only drag race the car I also auto cross and it’s my daily driver as long as their isn’t snow on the ground if you want to take that into consideration. Any suggestions at all, or alternatives that I may not have mentioned are welcome. Also, how hard is it to swap a manual Trans? I’ve helped bolt up an auto and it didn’t seem too bad if you had the proper tools, I may consider doing it myself, we have a auto hobby shop here on base, that would make a good weekend project with a few buddies. Wow now that I’ve written a novel on the subject…

I had an 03 Z06 and i switched out the MN12 to get the MN6 because of the huge loss in gears between 2-3 and 3-4, i also went with the 3.90 gears to get back the lower 1 and 2 gears in the Z06. Mine was a level V from rodney.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:51 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

I Just had Rodney rebuild my M6 tranny. He did mine almost 3 years ago. Since I had it out to do the clutch, I sent it back again for a full rebuild. If you like to pull hard in fifth and sixth, and since you only have 342s, you might consider the G-force 5th and 6th gear change. I just did it, and it's CRAZY....

Just send it to Rodney and work out the details, he'll take care of you!!!

JB

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission Woes... Suggestions?

Old 09-24-2006, 10:28 AM
Stangkiller
Race Director

CI 5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08

Go with a Rodney Trans, you won't regret it.

IMHO with your future power goals, and your current power levels. I'd stick with the M6. I'm running an M12. Currently i'm topping 5th gear out at 160 <6k redline> Which means if i'm ever going to run the local supras or bikes, i'm going to have to run to 7k or get a taller tire.

There's plenty of times i wish i had slightly longer gearing, with the boost. Even still. I allready dumped my 3.73's.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:29 AM
Stangkiller
Race Director

CI 5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08

Originally Posted by jbsblownc5
If you like to pull hard in fifth and sixth, and since you only have 342s, you might consider the G-force 5th and 6th gear change. I just did it, and it's CRAZY....

Just send it to Rodney and work out the details, he'll take care of you!!!

JB
I think i need more information on this! I always thought you'd burn up a 6speed trying to pull in 6th.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:23 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Stangkiller
I think i need more information on this! I always thought you'd burn up a 6speed trying to pull in 6th.

I asked Rodney this question when I had him redo my tranny and he said that it is .

At the time they had a Lingerfelter C6 TT from the magazine in for some work, apparently the high speed acceleration pushed all the fluid to the back and caused some bearing problems, Cure was to drill a re-fill plug higher up on the case so more fluid could be added.

Quick Reply: Transmission Woes... Suggestions?