C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLIP DRIVE - Finding the limit on 6 rib blower drive - Part II - 21 pounds

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 11:34 AM
Max@Cartek
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well we found the limit, but it wasn't on slip. Just the tensile load that the belt can withstand. Since there was no belt slip with the higher loads of the blower at max impeller speed it wasn't too easy going on the belt it seems . I attached a couple of pictures to show what the belt after the fact looks like. Not sure if it was a defective belt or not yet. We are going to try a HD version of the belt with reinforced backing. The belt used here was a plain old NAPA belt K060512... this is the belt we did most of our testing with (21 lbs of boost). There is no belt dust anywhere and the ribs on the belt look perfect, it just snapped in half from the stretch. It looks like the flip drive kit is doing too good of a job .

I figured some people would like to see this info. The testing continues...

Max
Attached Images   
Old 10-11-2009, 12:05 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by Max@Cartek
Well we found the limit, but it wasn't on slip. Just the tensile load that the belt can withstand. Since there was no belt slip with the higher loads of the blower at max impeller speed it wasn't too easy going on the belt it seems . I attached a couple of pictures to show what the belt after the fact looks like. Not sure if it was a defective belt or not yet. We are going to try a HD version of the belt with reinforced backing. The belt used here was a plain old NAPA belt K060512... this is the belt we did most of our testing with (21 lbs of boost). There is no belt dust anywhere and the ribs on the belt look perfect, it just snapped in half from the stretch. It looks like the flip drive kit is doing too good of a job .

I figured some people would like to see this info. The testing continues...

Max
Wow, belt looks new and 21lbs did the trick on the break, be nice to see what a HD Belt will do
Old 01-05-2011, 03:00 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by peter pan
be nice to see what a HD Belt will do
Old 01-05-2011, 02:40 PM
AZZ-KIKR
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish I would have seen this setup before I ordered a full stinkin 8 rib kit that now won't work with my first generation procharger bracket. Having to build or make my own spacers and or use a half assed option like shims is not what I thought it was going to be. Especially for the 900+ I've already spent on it.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:52 AM
Jake6304
Cruising

Default Flip Drive

I have the flip drive on my 04 Z06 with all stock engine that had 543 rwhp before the flip dr. Have not been on the dyno since but it feels like i gained 50 hp after the sliping of the belt was corrected also the belt stays on i had numerous problems with belts before and none since. It is well worth the invest.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:22 AM
Max@Cartek
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jake6304
I have the flip drive on my 04 Z06 with all stock engine that had 543 rwhp before the flip dr. Have not been on the dyno since but it feels like i gained 50 hp after the sliping of the belt was corrected also the belt stays on i had numerous problems with belts before and none since. It is well worth the invest.

Thanks for the feed back! It's always good to hear about success stories with the products one produces or supplies to their customers.

The extra power you feel is for real. This is because on the dyno this is the least strenious environmet for the belt and there is the least tendacy in that situation for the belt to slip. So if you have a car with a belt that is on the border line on the dyno making 540 RWHP and the street after many hard pulls, you are unlikely to have the belt hold so the boost won't be there nor will the HP. With the flip drive the power remains. Another factor to consider is that the belt in many cases will have a slight slip at the sacrifice of boost in the midrange, so what many who have installed this kit have noticed is that they pick up ~ 2 to 3 lbs of boost in the midrange in those situations. This won't net you any more peak horsepower but plenty that you will feel in the real world.

Max

Last edited by Max@Cartek; 01-08-2011 at 12:31 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:38 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Get Bit
I wish I would have seen this setup before I ordered a full stinkin 8 rib kit that now won't work with my first generation procharger bracket. Having to build or make my own spacers and or use a half assed option like shims is not what I thought it was going to be. Especially for the 900+ I've already spent on it.
I feel your pain man.
But here's something you might be interested in:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-f...c5-and-c6.html

Some more pics in here as well:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-f...or-2011-a.html

Their innovative new blower bracket set up along with the Flip Drive make for a real winning combination and a great value as well.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:42 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Thanks for the feed back! It's always good to hear about success stories with the products one produces or supplies to their customers.

The extra power you feel is for real. This is because on the dyno this is the least strenious environmet for the belt and there is the least tendacy in that situation for the belt to slip. So if you have a car with a belt that is on the border line on the dyno making 540 RWHP and the street after many hard pulls, you are unlikely to have the belt hold so the boost won't be there nor will the HP. With the flip drive the power remains. Another factor to consider is that the belt in many cases will have a slight slip at the sacrifice of boost in the midrange, so what many who have installed this kit have noticed is that they pick up ~ 2 to 3 lbs of boost in the midrange in those situations. This won't net you any more peak horsepower but plenty that you will feel in the real world.
The Flip Drive is so incredibly efficient that merely installing it on one's current centri set up has yielded some notable power gains all by itself. And this was of course on top of all of it's more obvious (and already proven) benefits, more power is always a good thing.
Check it out:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-f...-and-tune.html
Old 01-18-2011, 03:27 PM
Julian@Cartek
Pro

Thanks for the props guys

Julian
Old 01-25-2011, 12:58 AM
tekhombre
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by black98c5
max, was this on 93 pump and meth?
c16
Old 01-28-2011, 03:41 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by tekhombre
c16
That's C16 with no meth though, correct?
Old 02-01-2011, 03:01 AM
tekhombre
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
That's C16 with no meth though, correct?

No meth.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:26 AM
Z06wanted
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Max I would love to see the results of a flip drive on let's say a F2 or just something with a bigger
Wheel that puts more load on belt.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:57 AM
C5kid
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

I am putting a F1 on my car, 6 rib & Flip Drive. We will see how it works.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:09 PM
wilson34
Burning Brakes

Can't wait to see the results C5Kid
Old 02-02-2011, 03:33 PM
Julian@Cartek
Pro

Originally Posted by C5kid
I am putting a F1 on my car, 6 rib & Flip Drive. We will see how it works.
Can't wait to see...what kind of boost are you planning on running?

You will definitely need an HD belt…

Last edited by Julian@Cartek; 02-02-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:37 PM
C5kid
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

I am goin to run 13-14#... Spoke w/ Bob @ Brute Speed and he said a 4.75 pulley will keep me in that range.

It will be interesting for sure

Get notified of new replies

To FLIP DRIVE - Finding the limit on 6 rib blower drive - Part II - 21 pounds

Old 02-03-2011, 10:12 AM
Julian@Cartek
Pro

Originally Posted by C5kid
I am goin to run 13-14#... Spoke w/ Bob @ Brute Speed and he said a 4.75 pulley will keep me in that range.

It will be interesting for sure
Very good! I was going to say…if you go over 21lbs + on the 6 rib then we would need to make another thread on “finding the limit on a 6 rib”.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:18 AM
C5kid
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

no no no, LOL. My motor would go BANG pretty fast.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:02 PM
glennd
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

So the testing has continued from last time. The customer upgraded the fuel system...

For those reading this for the first time, here is a link to the previous post:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-f...wer-drive.html

Later we will post a dyno sheet, just wanted to get this up as we are very excited about the results of our detailed testing.

We went down in pulley size in .15 to .10 increments. Unfortunately we never found the limit LOL. We maxed out the blower at 63,000 rpm impeller speed. We figured we would stop since we had run over the rated limit for rpm on a D1SC.

The results after testing:
Max boost achieved: 21 lbs
Horsepower achieved: 730+ RWHP
Blower pulley: 3.4"
Damper: Stock
Belt slippage: ZERO

Particulars about the car:
Corvette C5
Cartek built/forged 347
ProCharger D1SC Blower
4L60E automatic transmission

I suppose the next step is to try this with an F1 head unit.

So I guess this answers the question about what the Flip Drive can do versus an 8 rib alone...and do all of the same and then some while still saving your accessories. For those with an 8 rib system this kit will eliminate belt slip (do keep in mind that you may not realize that you have slip) and of course still provide added insurance to increase the life of your accessories. And for those with a standard 6 rib system...look no further.

Max

(908)317-4496
One should be aware that the supercharger is a mass air pump, meaning that it is the amount of air that flows that relates to the force required on the input shaft. I would recommend getting your engine to be a little less restrictive to the input air before increasing to an F1R. My 346" with good flowing heads an intake etc, acheived 805 SAE RWhp with a D1SC @ 16lbs. with a 3.85" and a stock diameter 8 rib pulley. What I am suggesting is your number of 730hp is more of an indicator of force required on the input shaft, than is the number of 21lbs.

Last edited by glennd; 02-03-2011 at 12:04 PM.

Quick Reply: FLIP DRIVE - Finding the limit on 6 rib blower drive - Part II - 21 pounds