C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CARB approval for A&A Superchargers

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 06:13 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Very nice. Being proactive will net huge results in the future.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:03 AM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06supercharged
My Vortech head unit already has a CARB EO# on it and thats all that is needed when having the visual done and passing. Why does the whole entire kit have to be approved with a CARB EO# when the smog station only looks for the plate on the head unit with the CARB #?

Since the CARB E0# database lists all the Vortech approved head units/pulley sizes for all years/models I'm assuming AA wants their name/kits as well listed to be perfect in compliance? Thats ashamed since Vortech already got all the testing done and paid the $$ for same head units AA includes in their kits they have to be retested and $$ paid to them again which si a crokc of BS..

One thing you have to remember is just because the head unit has a CARB number does not make the whole kit car legal. With that said I agree with you, it's a bunch of BS and yes I'm sure as long as the smog station sees a CARB number on the head unit they will probably turn a blind eye but the fact still remains that legally they can fail you on the visual inspection if every component on the vehicle is not CARB certified. Again I agree it's BS and it's just the state collecting money but the law is the law. One can either comply with the law or take a chance and not comply.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:07 AM
Z06supercharged
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When all that matters is what blows out the pipe the whole CARB visual/certification for parts is a joke. Everyone knows this even the CARB people. I used to work with some of those bureaucratic pea-brains and actually attended meetings throwing ideas around of which to try and implement first to make the most money.
On E85 I blow so clean I dont even need cats let alone a visual look under the hood. Next thing you know black cars wont be green enough for them and will fail the visual.

Kudos to Andy for doing it though so he can sell kits that are 100% legal down to some zip tie to keep the CARB Bozo's happy.

Last edited by Z06supercharged; 12-17-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-25-2011, 04:13 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Being born and raised in California, I have come to the realization that "if it's fun, it's illegal". I have one of my Vette's registered in the desert where no smog check is required. It has all smog parts in place, but a ZZ4 is not legal. Smog control is important, no doubt. I just wish that all that mattered is what comes out of the tail pipe! I guess that's just too simple of a concept........
Old 12-25-2011, 09:55 PM
TRIZ
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome Work Andy!

Quick Reply: CARB approval for A&A Superchargers