C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

y'all're really gonna hate me now...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 12:58 PM
storxusmc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me personally if i was building REAR mounted compound turbo setup for lets say 800 whp reliably for the street/AutoX.... this is what i would run. There is a Mustand 5.0 that built a twin turbo setup with the GTB2056vk's and he hits 20psi by 1700 rpms but he runs out of air by 4800rpms. This is when the GT55 would take over and push it to the redline.
2 x GTB2056VK
1 x GT5570

Here is a shot of a GT5570 next to the standard turbo that comes in the sts twin turbo kit. The GTB2260vk is smaller than the sts turbo's just slighly and they are VGT so the exhuast housing expands for faster spoolup.

Last edited by storxusmc; 10-27-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:08 PM
storxusmc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LedfootLarry
Look at what ford is doing with turbo`s, they named them [ecoboost].
It`s almost in their entire line up now, and with F1 going tubo the coming year ,expect to see a lot of new technology
Those ecoboost turbo's are tiny!! they are just a tad smaller than the gtb2056vk
Old 10-29-2013, 09:17 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by storxusmc
This is not true, There are ALOT of OEM that have invested in this technology but the point of building an car is to build it for the target power the cheapest possible. Most companys honestly dont want to add a turbo to an engine because that adds more parts required to be put on the engine and more research on controlling it. Thus drives the profit margin down. OEM are FINALLY adding turbo's to cars because they realize now that people buy cars for the turbo because they know they can buy an car that makes for example 210hp like an VW GTI and do nothing but a tune to it and make 308hp. Its the easyness to make more power vs adding more parts that people are drawn to turbocharged cars.

Here are a few examples of engines that have been produced in compound turbo setup by OEM. But they really never made it to mass production due to cost.
An Audi

An BMW

An VW TDI engine

Here is the AUDI LEMONS TDI ENGINE V12

The first 2 turbo's are so small they make full boost @ 1100 rpms before they are bypassed. The 2 larger turbo's are at full boost @ 2700rpms and they make full power all the way to 6800rpm redline. So it makes 800tq from 1100rpms to 6800rpms and this engine runs around a track for 24hours straight without overheating.
Some great information. I have a couple of questions.

Firstly are you sure the bottom picture is an Audi V12 race engine? I had a look and the R10 TDI that was a V12 had the intake in between the back like a conventional V engine. Wiki also says it was twin turbo and not compound. Wiki isn't always right though! The R15 that replaced the R10 used a V10 version of the engine with what looks like intake manifolds again mounted in the normal location.

R10 Wiki pages inc. engine shots - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_R10_TDI
R15 engine pics - http://www.racecar-engineering.com/a...tdi-uncovered/

The one you posted above looks to have the exhaust manifolds mounted in the V. With the intake manifold (black looking thing with the red caps) mounted low down on the outside of the engine. it looks like the two small silver thing with red caps on are actually water pumps. quite common for race engines to run two water pumps.

I could be wrong and i AM not trying to pick fault with your points! Please provide more info on the engine posted as it looks really interesting.

The other point is have you seen and turbo turbo compound setups for gas engines? all the ones you posted above are Deisel!

Why is this important? Diesel is much less prone to high intake temps than gas and also they have a much narrower power band. This is why compound boosting is great on diesels as you can massively broaden the torque curve.

The above is not an issue on a petrol engine and you have the added benefit of much greater operating RPM. This is obviously GREAT for turbo chargers.

edit: Also noticed that the above VW and BMW engines look to be sequential turbos NOT compound. There looks to be a bypass so the smaller turbo can be bypassed once a certain RPM / boost pressure is reached. I could be wrong though (i usually am lol)!

Last edited by chuntington101; 10-29-2013 at 09:19 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:22 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

storxusmc, what turbo would you use for the high pressure side (smaller unit) if you where only running 1 smaller turbo?

Have you seen the thread re vertically mounting the rad on a C5 (in this section)? looks great and leave MASSES of room. Could easily fit a small turbo in there and have room for a decent sized down pipe on one side and a cold feed (from the rear mounted low pressure turbo) on the other side.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:32 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

FOUND THE PIC!

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/events.../photo_07.html

Looks like its Audi's V6 TDI race engine form the R18 race car. From the above link it looks like they are using a VGT / VNT turbo not compound.

Wiki says a similar thing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_R18) and that Audi are using a VGT version of the seemingly-used-in-every-trubo-race-car-on-the-planet Garrett TR30R turbo!

Now if this Garrett turbo could stand the higher EGTs of a gas engine, maybe they could be used on a Vette or even an upgrade to the Porsche units?!?!?! Wouldn't be cheap though as a proper TR30R go for about $10k (each) i think!

Quick Reply: y'all're really gonna hate me now...