C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where/how are you hiding your wires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 06:58 PM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by SmoothFRC

in terms of relocating the other wires - i was thinking of using the bracket under the header to secure the wires too, hang them a little lower then the plug wires to avoid interference. Again, may do this later. Not sold on the idea yet, but love the look that you guy's have above.
Did you make those coil brackets?

I had an Optima red top for awhile, then it failed. I had it replaced under warranty, and it failed too. I put a platinum something or other from Advance Auto Parts in there and its been trouble free for 4 or 5 years now.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:08 PM
SmoothFRC
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1
Did you make those coil brackets?

I had an Optima red top for awhile, then it failed. I had it replaced under warranty, and it failed too. I put a platinum something or other from Advance Auto Parts in there and its been trouble free for 4 or 5 years now.
In term of spacers, I used 1/4 threaded rod and 1/2 alluminum tubing. Otherwise, used scraps around garage for mounting options.

I had a red top in the car for 7-8 years. Just swapped it last spring. Guess I need to research other options.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:17 PM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Hey, it's possible I got two bad ones but I have read that several other people on here have had the same issue. I have read that if you keep a battery tender on it if you aren't going to be driving it for awhile they are fine, they just don't like to take a charge if they discharge too much. My Advance battery has been fine. I put a tender on it when I park it for the winter, but the rest of the year I don't even want to think about it.

Does anyone know what gauge of wire the alternator power wire is? I'm going to extend it and redo some wiring like you guys did, and run my evap canister off the brake booster hose so I can eliminate that ugly line running to the front.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:52 AM
Steve@RSD
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

My coils are located in the Drivers fender inside the access panel, and behind the battery on the passenger side. Bought a do it your self small block chevy kit and re-used the connectors from the stock wires.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:06 PM
SmoothFRC
Melting Slicks

Not sure if others have attempted this.... Worth a try.

Shaved the bottom of intake, ls6 valley cover with ls1 steam lines, and running wires under the intake.
Attached Images   
Old 03-22-2014, 10:34 PM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

I made some modifications to mine. I also got the Trick Flow coolant adapters, as I don't like having the rears blocked off. I ran a "T" fitting between them, and ran a coolant line up front and tied it in to the line that originally fed the throttle body. I left the stock crossover in place.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:50 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike04

I removed the tape off the stock harness and used a nylon type mesh that was split down the back side
Mike, I did mine the same way here with my fuel set up to hide the wiring under the feed line & return line with the black fuel line and A/N fittings.. Nice clean way of doing it... Robert

Last edited by robert miller; 03-25-2014 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:14 PM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

Default Show offs

Originally Posted by Mike04

I removed the tape off the stock harness and used a nylon type mesh that was split down the back side
Originally Posted by ajrothm
Custom made injector harness, coils relocated to the fenders, alternator wiring lengthened and ran UNDER the motor. Any wiring that was not needed (pollution stuff) was removed..

**NOTE**
Any wiring you relocate under the engine, make sure to put heat sleeving on it, the plastic loom will not protect the radiant header heat and it will toast the wires if they are attached to the cradle...
Originally Posted by jmuck
Here's a pic of mine during the last round of mods. I turned the injectors towards the elbow so I could better hide the wires. Alt wire and some other misc wires I ran at the back of the engine to hide them. I didn't loom the injector wiring, just fresh tape for ease of diag work if ever needed.

I also hid the coils in the fenders and ran each wire under the headers.

Originally Posted by jmuck
Thanks. All the emissions stuff and related wiring has been cut off the car and harness.

Here's a pic of the driver side. I don't have any showing were I ran the wiring though. The t/body, ect and alt. wire were run with the driver side injector harness. Power wire from the alt. was run down under the washer resi and along the fire wall to the battery. I extended the coil pack harnesses and also ran those along the fire wall.

Thanks for the replies and pictures guys... giving me some good ideas of what i want.

What I was able to get accomplished was to relocate the coils, route the plug wires as I wanted (under headers) and get a 4" charge pipe on and went from a 3.85 to 3.7 pulley. I was right at 9.9lbs, not sure what the gains might be - need to schedule a retune.

I will certainly need a phase 2 in order to really get it where I want it... New valve covers, repaint stock rail, and relocate the additional wires, clean up alt bracket and alt, etc..

All you guys are show offs. Looks great.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:20 PM
algZO6
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 80 Posts

what do you guys do with the evap system?
Old 03-24-2014, 09:21 PM
SilverZ06NC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by algZO6
I am curious too!
Old 03-24-2014, 10:52 PM
a/c man
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

remove it and cap it off then take it out of the tune I think

Anyone know for sure what it takes to get rid of it??
Old 03-25-2014, 12:11 AM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Hide it. Use fuel line to extend the hose going from the neck on the intake manifold to the EVAP solenoid, and then from that use more hose to the hard line at the firewall. You can kind of see it in this picture, look at the hose just behind the throttle body on the drivers side:

From there, I ran the line forward, you can see it cross the upper coolant hose. I ran it underneath the windshield washer reservoir, and hid the solenoid down in there. Be careful though, don't put it on anything that touches the firewall (like the brake booster) because when it is running it oscillates and will make a ticking sound in the cabin. It took several months to figure that out, it drove me insane. Anyways, you will also need to extend the wiring to it. I wrapped the wire and the hose in either flexible braided hose covering, or braided split loom.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:17 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Does anyone know what gauge of wire the alternator power wire is? I'm going to extend it and redo some wiring like you guys did, and run my evap canister off the brake booster hose so I can eliminate that ugly line running to the front.
I believe it's a 6 gauge wire. You might be surprised at how little you end up having to extend it.
Not sure if others have attempted this.... Worth a try.

Shaved the bottom of intake, ls6 valley cover with ls1 steam lines, and running wires under the intake.
Great idea! Let us know how it works out.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:20 AM
SmoothFRC
Melting Slicks

Hide it. Use fuel line to extend the hose going from the neck on the intake manifold to the EVAP solenoid, and then from that use more hose to the hard line at the firewall. You can kind of see it in this picture, look at the hose just behind the throttle body on the drivers side:

From there, I ran the line forward, you can see it cross the upper coolant hose. I ran it underneath the windshield washer reservoir, and hid the solenoid down in there. Be careful though, don't put it on anything that touches the firewall (like the brake booster) because when it is running it oscillates and will make a ticking sound in the cabin. It took several months to figure that out, it drove me insane. Anyways, you will also need to extend the wiring to it. I wrapped the wire and the hose in either flexible braided hose covering, or braided split loom.
I've been debating what to do with the evap... the only wires i havent relocated/hid at this point are the evap and power line to alt. The IAT, MAF and TB are all under intake..

getting anxious to get it back on the road... might wait to relocate the power line, as i think i will run it under the header, just need to sort it later I think.

Mike04's is the look i am after, it'll be close... think the rails will be next on my list, i like the 'stock' look of the 97/8 rails, but not really fitting in with the 'cleaning up' of the engine bay.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:22 AM
PEETYZ
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Lots of great ideas in here
Old 03-25-2014, 10:42 AM
algZO6
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 80 Posts

great info!!
Old 03-29-2014, 04:21 PM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

I've been debating what to do with the evap... the only wires i havent relocated/hid at this point are the evap and power line to alt. The IAT, MAF and TB are all under intake..

getting anxious to get it back on the road... might wait to relocate the power line, as i think i will run it under the header, just need to sort it later I think.

Mike04's is the look i am after, it'll be close... think the rails will be next on my list, i like the 'stock' look of the 97/8 rails, but not really fitting in with the 'cleaning up' of the engine bay.
I've had mine hidden like that for 2-3 years now. The system is fully functional, no error codes or drawbacks, and it looks a lot cleaner.

Get notified of new replies

To Where/how are you hiding your wires?

Old 04-01-2014, 08:37 PM
SmoothFRC
Melting Slicks

Not 100% where I wanted to be with it, but needed to get it back on the road!

Would like to paint rad cover black, maybe get new polished intake tube.... Phase 3 I guess.3
Attached Images   
Old 04-01-2014, 08:41 PM
SmoothFRC
Melting Slicks

I've had mine hidden like that for 2-3 years now. The system is fully functional, no error codes or drawbacks, and it looks a lot cleaner.
Do you mean the power under headers?

I have my plug wires there now, think there would be any interference? Or not to worry with the shielded msd wires?
Old 04-02-2014, 07:06 PM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Do you mean the power under headers?

I have my plug wires there now, think there would be any interference? Or not to worry with the shielded msd wires?
No, the evap solenoid and lines. I want to move the alternator wire, but I decided it's too much work to pull everything back apart, cut all the tiny zip ties, re-wrap everything, etc. Next time I actually have a reason to take things apart I'll give it a crack, or maybe late next fall when I put it away for the winter.

Quick Reply: Where/how are you hiding your wires?