ecs instal - Page 11 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ecs instal

Reply

 
 
 
Old 10-20-2017, 04:26 AM
  #201  
romandian
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Nov 2014
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 891
Thanked 32 Times in 32 Posts
Default

tuning, if you do it yourself:

get all of the stuff intalled on the stock engine, wideband and what ever. see how it is on the stock engine and learn what to log. im sure nobody will do it, we are impatient creatures. so, you can take out the blower and install the original tensioner with the original belt. yes, it will work. it will also work with the ecs tensioner in place, but i dont remember what belt you need.

then learn how to log the transmission. ist quite involved, i think, like there is no input shaft sensor on our cars and gm.tccp is not for the 4l60e and gives strage values. seriously, i think logging the trans is far more difficult than the engine. and its whats going to die on you first. it will be extremly dfficult to find out whats going on when the trans is giving problems without a solid baseline.

also get rid of the maf. there is no reson for it existing. even emissions are better without it. try and make life simple.
romandian is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:53 AM
  #202  
CorvetteC5Norway
CF Senior Member
 
CorvetteC5Norway's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2015
Posts: 261
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Romandian; what (engine) mods do you got except the supercharger? Could you give an overwiev of your setup?
If you are on stock internals, isn't it risky to go without the restrictor?
CorvetteC5Norway is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:56 PM
  #203  
neutron82
Bangin' Gears
Support Corvetteforum!
 
neutron82's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2010
Location: Plain-0 TX
Posts: 8,179
Thanked 698 Times in 630 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by CorvetteC5Norway View Post
If you are on stock internals, isn't it risky to go without the restrictor?
if the tune is good you should be fine but you need to understand what you're dealing with, basically you can't get mad if something happens
neutron82 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 12:38 PM
  #204  
romandian
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Nov 2014
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 891
Thanked 32 Times in 32 Posts
Default

the engine is completely stock so far, except for the fuel system as per above. it will be getting new springs and rockers over the winter.

is it wise to take out the restrictor? it really depends what you are after. if you want no problems and just drive the car dont. i myself cant stop tinkering with cars, so i did. expect to see the limits of the belt the fuel system and the trans. get 100 ron for sure.

if your not tuning yourself i would not. when the car gives up the ghost you will not blame yourself but the tuner, no good for anybody.
romandian is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 03:35 PM
  #205  
romandian
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Nov 2014
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 891
Thanked 32 Times in 32 Posts
Default

i changed from the "stock" 3.48 pulley to a shure grip 3.15, that is coated with some (tungsten?) carbide grains. it is smaller by 9%, as measured on the od of the belt and has flanges. the advantage is, that the belt wont jump anymore. disadvantage: you dont know in what direction it wants to go.

question to ecs/paxton: why dont you use flanged pulleys?

i used to have 180 kpa @5600 rpm. in theory i should be getting: 180 x 1.09 = 196, but i now see 200 kpa @ 5600 rpm. at 5900 boost rose from 190 to around 220, maybe higher. its hard to say, because things happen very fast at redline and as i still have a 2 bar map i have to use peripheral vision and the analog gauge. result are better than expected, probably due to less belt slip from the coating and rpm belt.

the idea behind the pulley is to have boost come in earlier and limit it at the top somehow. i shift at 5900 now, otherwise i would overboost the engine, the rise is very fast as it comes off the cam. im also at 54k at the impeller vs. 52k official redline. i wonder how much you can overdrive the sl units for short periods of time.
Attached Images  

Last edited by romandian; 12-03-2017 at 03:46 PM.
romandian is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:05 AM
  #206  
CorvetteC5Norway
CF Senior Member
 
CorvetteC5Norway's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2015
Posts: 261
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by romandian View Post
i changed from the "stock" 3.48 pulley to a shure grip 3.15, that is coated with some (tungsten?) carbide grains. it is smaller by 9%, as measured on the od of the belt and has flanges. the advantage is, that the belt wont jump anymore. disadvantage: you dont know in what direction it wants to go.

question to ecs/paxton: why dont you use flanged pulleys?

i used to have 180 kpa @5600 rpm. in theory i should be getting: 180 x 1.09 = 196, but i now see 200 kpa @ 5600 rpm. at 5900 boost rose from 190 to around 220, maybe higher. its hard to say, because things happen very fast at redline and as i still have a 2 bar map i have to use peripheral vision and the analog gauge. result are better than expected, probably due to less belt slip from the coating and rpm belt.

the idea behind the pulley is to have boost come in earlier and limit it at the top somehow. i shift at 5900 now, otherwise i would overboost the engine, the rise is very fast as it comes off the cam. im also at 54k at the impeller vs. 52k official redline. i wonder how much you can overdrive the sl units for short periods of time.

Removing the restrictor, and now pulley'ing down on stock engine and auto trans. Are you a basejumper as well?
Joke aside, the flanged blower pulley looks like a good idea. I guess it's possible to get one in the standard size as well. Where did you buy it?
CorvetteC5Norway is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 04:24 AM
  #207  
romandian
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Nov 2014
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 891
Thanked 32 Times in 32 Posts
Default

email sent.
romandian is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 01:40 PM
  #208  
romandian
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Nov 2014
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 891
Thanked 32 Times in 32 Posts
Default

i replaced the ecs intake with this one. there were over two inches between rad an intake. i thought i could better that. please guess how much boost i picked up.

edit: the shreaded belt in the last picture is from when the ps pulley let go and waiting for the rpm belt to show up.
Attached Images     

Last edited by romandian; 12-28-2017 at 11:28 AM.
romandian is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 05:15 PM
  #209  
RpeterK
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Apr 2005
Location: nj
Posts: 240
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Default duct

That part is no longer used on the C5. It was replaced with a 4" aluminum tube a long time ago at this point. The aluminum tube mounts the filter in clean air down around the bottom of the chassis cross member and forward off the rad. Was done basically at the same time as the new rad cover and hold downs were. I had posted some screen captures of the cad file for the rad hold downs and cover in april of 15. Parts were done some what later with the duct being the last part to change over.


Originally Posted by romandian View Post
i replaced the ecs intake with this one. there were over two inches between rad an intake. i thought i could better that.please guess how much boost i picked up.
RpeterK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 12:31 AM
  #210  
romandian
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Nov 2014
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 891
Thanked 32 Times in 32 Posts
Default

woud be nice to see a pict of the new air filter tube.
romandian is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:00 AM
  #211  
schpenxel
CF Senior Member
 
schpenxel's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2004
Location: Greensboro NC
Posts: 15,091
Thanked 725 Times in 676 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
Default

What's that new tube made out of?
schpenxel is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:22 AM
  #212  
romandian
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Nov 2014
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 891
Thanked 32 Times in 32 Posts
Default

glass fibre and epoxy. its rather massive, but i have plans, hang on.
romandian is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:02 AM
  #213  
CorvetteC5Norway
CF Senior Member
 
CorvetteC5Norway's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2015
Posts: 261
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Hey Romandian, are you up and running? Miss you creative updates
CorvetteC5Norway is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:15 AM
  #214  
romandian
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Nov 2014
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 891
Thanked 32 Times in 32 Posts
Default

my last post on the intake seems to have disappeared last year. i just posted this and i cannot see it, so no idea whats going on.

anyways, the larger intake had no influence on boost or power, as far as i could measure (efilive). the original intake tube is perfectly o.k. up tp 6000 rpm and 205 kpa boost.

inspite of the substantial gains beeing posted by adding somke kind of funnel in front of the charger, this is what i have experienced.

​​​​​​​roman dian

Last edited by romandian; 09-14-2018 at 03:36 AM.
romandian is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 03:14 PM
  #215  
neutron82
Bangin' Gears
Support Corvetteforum!
 
neutron82's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2010
Location: Plain-0 TX
Posts: 8,179
Thanked 698 Times in 630 Posts
Default

take the filter and tube off completely and it will probably pick up some more, how much will vary
neutron82 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 03:57 PM
  #216  
Smoken1
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Smoken1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2013
Location: Small Town, OR
Posts: 2,311
Thanked 209 Times in 194 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18
Default

Originally Posted by romandian View Post
i just posted this and i cannot see it, so no idea whats goin on

​​​​​​​roman dian
You can't see it because you posted in the parts for sale section
Smoken1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:55 AM
  #217  
schpenxel
CF Senior Member
 
schpenxel's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2004
Location: Greensboro NC
Posts: 15,091
Thanked 725 Times in 676 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
Default

Originally Posted by Smoken1 View Post
You can't see it because you posted in the parts for sale section
schpenxel is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:47 AM
  #218  
CorvetteC5Norway
CF Senior Member
 
CorvetteC5Norway's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2015
Posts: 261
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by CorvetteC5Norway View Post
Removing the restrictor, and now pulley'ing down on stock engine and auto trans. Are you a basejumper as well?
Joke aside, the flanged blower pulley looks like a good idea. I guess it's possible to get one in the standard size as well. Where did you buy it?
Looking at your pictures, it looks like your new flanged pulley is chewing on the sides of the belt quite hard. That i also what I've read is the downside with these pulleys.
Are you sure your sideways-adjustable spring tensioner is adjusted correctly? Mine where not, and thats why my belt was jumping one rib. After I got it adjusted its running perfect.

Last edited by CorvetteC5Norway; 09-11-2018 at 06:48 AM.
CorvetteC5Norway is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:43 AM
  #219  
romandian
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Nov 2014
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 891
Thanked 32 Times in 32 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by CorvetteC5Norway View Post
Looking at your pictures, it looks like your new flanged pulley is chewing on the sides of the belt quite hard. That i also what I've read is the downside with these pulleys.
Are you sure your sideways-adjustable spring tensioner is adjusted correctly? Mine where not, and thats why my belt was jumping one rib. After I got it adjusted its running perfect.
that belt is the one that got damaged whet the ps pulley let go, while waiting for the rpm belt. this one seems o.k., but the car doesnt see many miles, so you might be right. i got the pulley because of the coating, btw, and that is harder on the belt also, but it doesnt slip (so far).

Last edited by romandian; 09-14-2018 at 03:45 AM.
romandian is online now  
Reply With Quote
 
 
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ecs instal


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: