C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BIG CHANGES for 2016 from A&A SUPERCHARGERS

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 11:52 PM
Andy@A&ACorvette
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 202 Likes on 125 Posts

Default BIG CHANGES for 2016 from A&A SUPERCHARGERS

There are some very significant changes coming to our A&A Supercharger kits for 2016.

NEW AIR BRIDGE DESIGN

We have a brand new air bridge (affectionately called the "Dongle") for C5 and C6. The new part is 17% larger by volume and over 35% larger at the critical point where it passes over the radiator. I accomplished this by increasing the outlet (blower end) from 4” to 4 ½”, lowering and widening the floor and continuing the roof further back towards the supercharger inlet.
The floor now has the same angle as the top of the radiator and fits both stock, DeWitt’s and A&A high capacity aluminum radiators. Yes. I said A&A Radiators. We’ve contracted with Griffin to make proprietary radiators for us that are a significant improvement over what we have been using. More on that later.
The air bridge comes with silicone couplers in sizes to fit all the head units we offer as well as most Procharger head units.
The absolute best part of this new piece is its ease of installation. I know this has been a sticky point for a long time. Well that is over. This part almost falls into place. Check out this video and you’ll see. Note that the video was shot with a DeWitt’s radiator and it still drops right in. No more swearing at the #%&(^%%& Dongle!!

Name:  P1020619.JPG
Views: 2149
Size:  4.60 MB

NEW RADIATORS
Now back to the radiators. Our new ones will be a full 3” thick as compared to 2 ½” on the DeWitt’s.
We’ve dropped the actual core down about 1 full inch in relation to the tanks. Now the fan covers the complete core rather than hanging over the edge as before. There is much more available airflow at the bottom of the radiator as opposed to the top so it makes sense to move the core down to take advantage of it. The A/C condenser mounts are also moved down slightly to gain additional clearance where the aluminum MAF tube crosses over in the center.

NEW BLOWOFF VALVE OPTIONS
We’ve added a new blowoff valve (BOV) to the lineup. Besides the 38MM valve we use in our standard kits and the 52 MM Big Bubba used in high horsepower applications, we now have the Turbosmart Race Port 50 MM valve. This is an open port design and very compact. These will be a NO COST OPTION for any kit. The Big Bubba is still the king in both sound and size. The Big Bubba is truly obnoxious, particularly when fitted with a trumpet rather than a filter.

NEW STANDARD HEAD UNIT
Head units. There is a lot of controversy about head units. We use the Si Trim as the standard unit in our systems. The Si is truly the best choice for stock motor applications. Period. It is more efficient in the 600 RWHP range than the larger units.
While I don’t necessarily agree, I’m tired of hearing that other kits include the bigger head unit so theirs must be better. So we are going to offer the Ti Trim head units as a NO COST OPTION. So that argument in now out the window.
We’ll still suggest that the guy who is just going to bolt on the kit and not try to push the limits of their stock engines go with the Si.
Here is another note about head units. ALL self-contained head units including the Paxton 1500SL, Paxton Novi 2200SL, and the V3 Vortechs used by us, come with standard input and impeller bearings. If you plan on pushing it and overspinning it, even by a little, you absolutely should opt for the oil fed Si (V1 version with straight cut gears only) V1 Ti, V2 Ti or V7 Ysi head units.
We stock all of our head units in both black and polished finished. And I do mean STOCK. We keep a very close eye on sales and inventory. We try our best to keep all sizes and finishes (except V1 Si) on the shelf.

YSi BILLET IMPELLER UNITS
We just received part numbers for the new YSi with billet impeller in black and polished. Once we get a handle on how many of these we should keep in stock there will not be any more waiting to have a standard YSi converted to the billet impeller. (that's what we have been doing) Keep in mind that the Billet impeller is only for those that are willing to spin the head unit with an overdrive balancer and a blower pulley under 3”. It really is a max effort race blower designed for high RPM power.

NEW RADIATOR SUPPORT BRACKETS
On C5 we now have a very nice pair of brackets for locating and stabilizing the top of the radiator. They are at the laser cutting facility right now. The ones in the pictures are raw aluminum. The production pieces will be powder coated black.

NEW RADIATOR ENCLOSURE PANELS FOR C6
On C6 we redesigned the side panels that enclose the radiator cavity to allow for better airflow around the sides of the intercooler and into the radiator. We are the only company to use any sort of enclosure panels and we have improved them even more. These side panels also seal up that area and stop air coming through the grill from escaping. The better you can seal this area the more air that can be forced through the radiator itself.
The production pieces are also at the laser cutters.

I have a few other goodies up my sleeve but won't bring them up until I'm sure they work as expected.
I'll add pictures in the morning.

A&A CORVETTE
477 LAMBERT ST
OXNARD CA 93036
WWW.AACorvette.com

A&A CORVETTE SUPERCHARGER SYSTEMS
HOME OF THE WORLDS FIRST
CENTRIFUGALLY SUPERCHARGED C7

SUPERIOR ENGINEERING- SUPERIOR POWER
SUPERIOR PRICING- SUPERIOR CUSTOMER SUPPORT

Andy@AACorvette.com 805- 278 4107

Last edited by Andy@A&ACorvette; 12-18-2015 at 07:26 PM. Reason: pics
The following 2 users liked this post by Andy@A&ACorvette:
redcycle13 (12-21-2015), SteveDoten@ARH (12-22-2015)
Old 12-18-2015, 07:15 AM
PEETYZ
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Awesome news! Fantastic products and service! I'm especially happy you didn't just update the c6-c7. There are still plenty of us old C5 guys!
Old 12-18-2015, 08:04 AM
Travis_C
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Dongle

Is the dongle listed on the website yet?
How much is it?
Is it for 4" filters?
Old 12-18-2015, 09:12 AM
SBCGENII
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Badass.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:33 AM
Andy@A&ACorvette

Originally Posted by Travis_C
Is the dongle listed on the website yet?
How much is it?
Is it for 4" filters?
No. That's one of the other things that's on my list. Fixing my website.
When Steve worked for us a few years ago, he took care of that. It was easy when someone was sitting right there. Now I have to do every little change by email. It's really hard to get accross to somebody else what you really want in a website so I've really let it go. There are actually hundreds of pages and sub pages involved. It's a major pain.
Anyway the new "dongle" is actually fairly cheap to make. The actual mold and tooling for the couplers was over $6500.
The red mold in graphics was another $900. I have like 1000 of those. I figured If I were going to spend this kind of money I should my least get my name on them.
I'll know in a couple of days what each piece costs me. For now they'll be under $100 with the couplers and clamps. Then I'll adjust the price to recoup the initial cost.
It is for 4" filters. I made that end larger as well. It fits the 4" filters but t's a tight fit. They don't just pop on like before. Our filters have a recess molded into the flange that the bead on the dongle fit's into. You almost don't need a clamp with these.(I said "almost" Please use a clamp.)

Last edited by Andy@A&ACorvette; 12-18-2015 at 10:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SteveDoten@ARH (12-22-2015)
Old 12-18-2015, 11:30 AM
Travis_C
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll take one. How do I order?
Need coupler for p1sc.

Originally Posted by Andy@A&ACorvette
No. That's one of the other things that's on my list. Fixing my website.
When Steve worked for us a few years ago, he took care of that. It was easy when someone was sitting right there. Now I have to do every little change by email. It's really hard to get accross to somebody else what you really want in a website so I've really let it go. There are actually hundreds of pages and sub pages involved. It's a major pain.
Anyway the new "dongle" is actually fairly cheap to make. The actual mold and tooling for the couplers was over $6500.
The red mold in graphics was another $900. I have like 1000 of those. I figured If I were going to spend this kind of money I should my least get my name on them.
I'll know in a couple of days what each piece costs me. For now they'll be under $100 with the couplers and clamps. Then I'll adjust the price to recoup the initial cost.
It is for 4" filters. I made that end larger as well. It fits the 4" filters but t's a tight fit. They don't just pop on like before. Our filters have a recess molded into the flange that the bead on the dongle fit's into. You almost don't need a clamp with these.(I said "almost" Please use a clamp.)
Old 12-18-2015, 12:04 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

good to see you are still making changes for the better on the c5 platform... I'm interested in seeing the upper radiator mounts... my radiator cradle is lowered and the radiator is tilted back at an angle, do you think your mounts would work??... the ones I had from another place were junk so I never used them and been running it without any support up top... it's been fine for the past couple of years but it would be nice to have something to hold it in place
Old 12-18-2015, 12:25 PM
John_B
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Nice improvements. I'll be deciding between ECS and A&A soon when I do my blower so this is good to see.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:30 PM
Jason913
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

NEW RADIATOR SUPPORT BRACKETS

pics?
Old 12-18-2015, 01:47 PM
Andy@A&ACorvette

Originally Posted by Travis_C
I'll take one. How do I order?
Need coupler for p1sc.
Just call Josh. I will only have enough to cover the kits already in line until early January though.
Originally Posted by neutron82
good to see you are still making changes for the better on the c5 platform... I'm interested in seeing the upper radiator mounts... my radiator cradle is lowered and the radiator is tilted back at an angle, do you think your mounts would work??... the ones I had from another place were junk so I never used them and been running it without any support up top... it's been fine for the past couple of years but it would be nice to have something to hold it in place
I'll have pictures up today. You can look at them and see what you think.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:07 PM
a/c man
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

awesome love the dongle cant wait to get one! nice work Andy!
Old 12-18-2015, 04:49 PM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

did you say it was 4.5 "? how do i fit this onto a 1500 novi?
Old 12-18-2015, 05:12 PM
Josh@AandASuperchargers

Received 186 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by romandian
did you say it was 4.5 "? how do i fit this onto a 1500 novi?

PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO VISIT OUR NEW WEBSITE AT WWW.AACORVETTE.COM
NOW PARTNERING WITH AFFIRM TO OFFER INTEREST FREE FINANCING!

A&A CORVETTE PERFORMANCE
477 LAMBERT ST Ste A
OXNARD CA 93036
(805) 278-4107

Instagram @aacorvettesuperchargers
Facebook.com/AACorvette

Old 12-18-2015, 05:50 PM
CamminC5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18

Have you guys done any testing on the new dongle vs a 4" pipe?

It's really nice to see you improving products for the c5 platform.

Last edited by CamminC5; 12-18-2015 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:43 PM
lsxvette
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Default niccceeee

Old 12-18-2015, 11:36 PM
js23881
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice Andy
Old 12-19-2015, 02:02 AM
a/c man
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

can we use the same filter with the new dongle? if we need a new filter thats ok too. I like the new fit with easy fitment thanks effort to make it better.

Get notified of new replies

To BIG CHANGES for 2016 from A&A SUPERCHARGERS

Old 12-19-2015, 10:36 AM
Andy@A&ACorvette

Originally Posted by CamminC5
Have you guys done any testing on the new dongle vs a 4" pipe?

It's really nice to see you improving products for the c5 platform.
No. The 4" pipe requires a lot of modifications. Obviously the radiator needs to be shorter and the AC condensor needs to be lowered as well.
I will say that we tested one last week on a car that made 670 RWHP. There was an 8 - 10 RWHP difference. We swapped it back and forth a couple of times. Obviously the difference would be more substantial on a higher horsepower car.
The problem I see, more than the dongle, is the available filter area. There is just no way to squeeze a larger filter between the center outlet on the intercooler and the frame rail. It's worse on C6 because you also need clearance for the hood hinge and and hydraulic strut. I thought about making the filter thicker at the bottom. (front to rear) and making an inverted cone on the bottom as opposed to a flat bottom. Unfortunately the filter manufacturer says it needs to be wider than the available area to do that. It would be awesome to have a filter that was as large as the old Blackwing or something similar but that just isn't possible.
Only those looking to make huge numbers for drag racing are really affected.
If I were wanting to make the ultimate inlet, I would make a venturi (radiused inlet) into the blower and make some sort of aluminum housing that went straight up to a large opening in the hood. The radiused inlet is definitely worth some power.
If you look at the outlet of our new dongle, then the silicone reducer, you'll see it does act somewhat as a venturi or radiused inlet.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:38 AM
Andy@A&ACorvette

Originally Posted by a/c man
can we use the same filter with the new dongle? if we need a new filter thats ok too. I like the new fit with easy fitment thanks effort to make it better.
Same filter. It fits a lot tighter on the end now. I opened that end up as much as I could and still get the filter on.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:55 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Great improvements for what's already awesome product!!

Quick Reply: BIG CHANGES for 2016 from A&A SUPERCHARGERS