C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

427 w/direct port vs ysi need direction

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 09:03 AM
~STOLEN~
Melting Slicks

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts

Default 427 w/direct port vs ysi need direction

hey guys looking for some more expert/real world info, so i am asking fellow members.

i currently have a ls2 427 c5z with rpm lvl 5 trans/diff w/4:10s

makes 540/505 with ported 243s and a old school fast 90/tpis 90

i will be pulling the motor this winter and going 1 of 2 ways, changing to dished pistons and l92 102/102 with a ysi, and blower friendly cam

OR

nice set of nitrous pistons, set of worked ls7 heads, 102/102 direct port with proper cam for set up (ive never dabbled in the n20 world) so im kind of hesitant. but friends are saying its like crack. but id have to admit i will hate having to fill bottles....

so my question goes to both people with blower setups and people with direct port setups. if you had to do it over which way would you have went.
OR , would you not change a thing?

thanks in advance for the direction guys

Last edited by ~STOLEN~; 03-24-2016 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:11 PM
lt1z
Melting Slicks

Received 170 Likes on 143 Posts

I wouldn't run an LS2 block 427 for boost.
The following users liked this post:
~STOLEN~ (03-24-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 01:44 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by lt1z
I wouldn't run an LS2 block 427 for boost.
I would imagine if its an LS 2 block 427 it's already sleeved.

My vote is the YSi.
~STOLEN~ (03-24-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 02:14 PM
Josh@AandASuperchargers
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 183 Likes on 143 Posts

I'd re build for 9.5 to 10.0 Compression Ratio, add Ysi, meth and on medium boost it would run 9s in the 1/4 mile. Never have to fill bottles. The power is there every time you need it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Josh@AandASuperchargers:
PEETYZ (03-24-2016), ~STOLEN~ (03-24-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 03:02 PM
~STOLEN~
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Capthuff
I would imagine if its an LS 2 block 427 it's already sleeved.

My vote is the YSi.
thats correct
what else could i address, ive seen guys run those main girdles for main bearing support, but at this rate i think the rods would be the issue. (assuming)

Originally Posted by Josh@AandASuperchargers
I'd re build for 9.5 to 10.0 Compression Ratio, add Ysi, meth and on medium boost it would run 9s in the 1/4 mile. Never have to fill bottles. The power is there every time you need it.

id be in for pistons & rods & rod bolts depending on what bottom end looks like once i get into it.

depending on the rods that are in it, i hope id be able to just put a nice set of pistons in it and new rod bolts.
not sure what im getting into as it was built before i purchased and ill be seeing inside it for the first time this fall/winter

Last edited by ~STOLEN~; 03-24-2016 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:29 PM
Nitrous Express & Snow Performance
Supporting Vendor

Nitrous Express & Snow Performance's Avatar

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Why not both? Have the best of both worlds.

Let me know if I can help you with anything.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nitrous Express & Snow Performance:
bluemike28 (04-06-2016), ~STOLEN~ (03-27-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 10:35 PM
redcycle13
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I started out with a nitrous wet plate kit on my car. It lasted about 6 months, and I was tired of filling bottles. Then I went Procharger and never looked back. I have used direct port nitrous on another application, and I just don't see a direct port as being a significant benefit unless your running a very large shot and need to be able to finely tune the spray. My current combo is a sleeved 434 cube motor with stage 2 WCCH LS7 heads and an F1A-94. It's overkill for my car which is a street car with a six speed.
~STOLEN~ (03-27-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 10:51 PM
js23881
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had both set ups. One thing.....strongly suggest you rebuild with LSX iron block. My nitrous set up was 440 CU, 11:75-1 compression with a single 400 shot set up on progressive controller (and a ton of other gas supported stuff). Had dedicated NX fuel system. Had a tremendous amount of back fires (but engine held up to over 17 runs with hugh back fires...testiment to strong build) with set up but when it ran a complete pass it really hit. Turned out my lean situation was because my NX fuel cell was not vented. I only had enough atmosperic pressure in tank to occasionnly run a clean 1/8 mile. When I got NX tank (new from factory) it had no instructions and no vent plug....I wrongly assumed the fill cap was vented. Even my tuner could not figure it out. I got frustrated, rebuilt engine to 430, put in dragonslayer, flip drive and other needed goodies to run 1000+ RWHP very easily. Now with that said....if I had that fuel cell set up right the gas system would have worked very well and it looked very trick. I also even had a fill station in my shop. PM me if you want to talk about each system.......honestly correctly set up both are very potent...each has drawbacks.

Last edited by js23881; 03-24-2016 at 10:53 PM.
~STOLEN~ (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 09:06 AM
~STOLEN~
Melting Slicks

geez....been a busy end of week for me sorry took me so long to reply fellas

Originally Posted by redcycle13
I started out with a nitrous wet plate kit on my car. It lasted about 6 months, and I was tired of filling bottles. Then I went Procharger and never looked back. I have used direct port nitrous on another application, and I just don't see a direct port as being a significant benefit unless your running a very large shot and need to be able to finely tune the spray. My current combo is a sleeved 434 cube motor with stage 2 WCCH LS7 heads and an F1A-94. It's overkill for my car which is a street car with a six speed.
this is exactly what i was wanting to hear in a way. i would do more of a budget top end compared to you but same overall goal. what is yours making with the current setup ? and how much fuel system are you running (pumps, bap, injectors) to stay with pump gas because i will do that as well.
no e85 for me

Originally Posted by js23881
I have had both set ups. One thing.....strongly suggest you rebuild with LSX iron block. My nitrous set up was 440 CU, 11:75-1 compression with a single 400 shot set up on progressive controller (and a ton of other gas supported stuff). Had dedicated NX fuel system. Had a tremendous amount of back fires (but engine held up to over 17 runs with hugh back fires...testiment to strong build) with set up but when it ran a complete pass it really hit. Turned out my lean situation was because my NX fuel cell was not vented. I only had enough atmosperic pressure in tank to occasionnly run a clean 1/8 mile. When I got NX tank (new from factory) it had no instructions and no vent plug....I wrongly assumed the fill cap was vented. Even my tuner could not figure it out. I got frustrated, rebuilt engine to 430, put in dragonslayer, flip drive and other needed goodies to run 1000+ RWHP very easily. Now with that said....if I had that fuel cell set up right the gas system would have worked very well and it looked very trick. I also even had a fill station in my shop. PM me if you want to talk about each system.......honestly correctly set up both are very potent...each has drawbacks.
your setup was a testament to a good build for sure holding up to giant backfires like that LOL
backfires have been one thing that consistantly scares me about nitrous, but ive seen what a correctly set up system will do, and man thet freight train the competition !!!

i sure hope i can score a f1 setup used this fall because that would be really nice
Old 03-27-2016, 10:34 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

A few in here has gone with both plus you will love the YSI unit for any time you need to get into it. Then the NOS for IF you REALLY to hit it really hard for about that 1% of cars that has just a little more are GET a better off the line ARE that little better hit if you are roll racing someone.

This way you will not be going thur much NOS at all that stuff get costly if you are using it as main power all the time plus like to play all the time........ WIN WIN on this set up.... Robert
Old 03-27-2016, 01:26 PM
redcycle13
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I should have dyno numbers by mid April. I'm using a ractronix in-tank pump with A&A Corvette Holley dominator twin external pumps, and Alky Control meth. I ditched the boost-a-pump when I switched to twin external pumps. I'm running a Haltech Elite ECU with a flex fuel sensor, and will have the ability to use E-85. I expect the dyno numbers to be 1000 rear wheel or so.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:43 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by redcycle13
I should have dyno numbers by mid April. I'm using a ractronix in-tank pump with A&A Corvette Holley dominator twin external pumps, and Alky Control meth. I ditched the boost-a-pump when I switched to twin external pumps. I'm running a Haltech Elite ECU with a flex fuel sensor, and will have the ability to use E-85. I expect the dyno numbers to be 1000 rear wheel or so.
So a 2.75 pulley you better over spin the crap out of the YSI but it loves the top and over the range of it making it best power.

The haltech elite is a great set up just getting all the small bugs work out for the system you are running with a good tuner it the main problem. I know a few guys in here had hel* with it on the start up & getting the small things worked out of it to the factor set up.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:50 PM
redcycle13
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by robert miller
So a 2.75 pulley you better over spin the crap out of the YSI but it loves the top and over the range of it making it best power.

The haltech elite is a great set up just getting all the small bugs work out for the system you are running with a good tuner it the main problem. I know a few guys in here had hel* with it on the start up & getting the small things worked out of it to the factor set up.
I already have the Haltech up and running, but I just haven't had the time to get it on the dyno. The car makes way too much power to street tune full throttle input.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:51 PM
HardcoreABN
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

My ONLY issue with nitrous is you are more limited than with boost. The most I am going to get out of my engine on the bottle is about 950whp...if I go boosted I could get 1200whp.

That said, IMO for the street it is very hard to beat nitrous. Yea, it sucks having to fill a bottle, but you will need a LOT of bottle refills before you come close to the cost of a new YSI kit.

Now, my next car is going to be a TT car that will primarily be for the track.....with some street...

Get notified of new replies

To 427 w/direct port vs ysi need direction

Quick Reply: 427 w/direct port vs ysi need direction