C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom install of boost gauge for my LPE Magnuson setup... pics!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2002, 01:09 AM
Johnno
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom install of boost gauge for my LPE Magnuson setup... pics!

Ok, I finally bought an Autometer electronic boost gauge (Sport Comp, model #3376) and finished hooking it all up this evening. Where to mount it had me stumped for quite a while - I've seen the pillar pod thingie, but I didn't care for the "in your face" look. I also didn't want to carve out a hole on the dash anywhere... so I decided to fabricate my own custom mount for it. I'm pretty happy with how it all turned out. It's very easy to see from behind the wheel (also blends nicely with my aluminum bezels), doesn't obstruct the driver's view and is nearly invisible from outside as it's hidden by the A-pillar.

The housing is made from a portion of a black plastic wet/dry vac tube adapter piece I bought at Home Depot for </Dr. Evil voice on> A MILLION DOLLARS!! </Dr. Evil Voice off> ... well, I actually only paid $5.99 for it. :lol: :jester I think it's appropriate that I kept with the whining/sucking/blower theme for the housing by using spare vacuum cleaner parts. :lol: :D

It's mounted via two rather small eyelet bolts underneath that have some really long zip ties that run up to it from underneath through the seam between the dash and the pillar. I ran the wires through this seam as well - perfectly hidden. It's a very solid mount - doesn't budge.

Let me know what you think!

[Modified by Johnno, 12:19 AM 9/7/2002]
Old 09-07-2002, 01:14 AM
C5North
Race Director

Location: HOPE is the first step on the road to disappointment.
Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Custom install of boost gauge for my LPE Magnuson setup... pics! (Johnno)

That looks GREAT! I can't wait to see it in person. Now if you can only get your road fixed....
Well done! :cheers: :D
Old 09-07-2002, 01:21 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Default Re: Custom install of boost gauge for my LPE Magnuson setup... pics! (C5North)

You are the man! Nice job! :cool: :cheers:
Old 09-07-2002, 09:55 AM
JTE
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 4-7, 9 & 10 Veteran

Default Re: Custom install of boost gauge for my LPE Magnuson setup... pics! (Johnno)

It looks very nice! :yesnod:
Old 09-07-2002, 10:43 AM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

Looks nice. Only downside I can see is the Dashboard is going to be hard to clean in that area. :)

vetterdstr :cheers:
Old 09-07-2002, 11:10 AM
KerryH
Instructor

Default Re: Custom install of boost gauge for my LPE Magnuson setup... pics! (vetterdstr)

Hey, that looks great, now what are you waiting for, order more auto meter boost gauges and go back to home depot, and start making some money on that.
Old 09-07-2002, 11:48 AM
tscales
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: Custom install of boost gauge for my LPE Magnuson setup... pics! (KerryH)

That does look nice. I have dual pillar pod and I'm having trouble getting used to it.

Tom
Old 09-07-2002, 03:28 PM
JoeyG
Safety Car

Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Let me know what you think!
Looks good! Is that dust in the door jamb though?
Old 09-07-2002, 03:33 PM
ICULUKN-C5
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Custom install of boost gauge for my LPE Magnuson setup... pics! (JoeyG)

sweet.. .how did you do your bezels in silver?
Old 09-07-2002, 04:04 PM
Johnno
Pro

Default Re: Custom install of boost gauge for my LPE Magnuson setup... pics! (JoeyG)

Looks good! Is that dust in the door jamb though?
Guilty as charged! :D

sweet.. .how did you do your bezels in silver?
The Autometer guage already came that way. The dash... well, that'll cost you a 6 pack of cold, imported, dark beer... no... wait a sec, that's what I charge for the install! :lol: :cheers:

Here's the link to Ken King's site for the bezels. Takes a little over an hour to install them:
http://www.vetteessentials.com/addit...ucts/misc.html
Old 09-07-2002, 05:32 PM
VERTVETTE
Drifting

Default Re: Custom install of boost gauge for my LPE Magnuson setup... pics! (ICULUKN-C5)

:cool: :cheers:
Old 09-08-2002, 10:38 AM
tscales
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: Custom install of boost gauge for my LPE Magnuson setup... pics!

I looked all over the Home Depot yesterday and couldn't find it. Any more detailed suggestions where it was?

Tom
Old 09-08-2002, 12:58 PM
JWSchmidt3
Race Director

:cool: :cheers: :cool:
Old 09-08-2002, 11:37 PM
Johnno
Pro

Default Re: Custom install of boost gauge for my LPE Magnuson setup... pics! (tscales)

I looked all over the Home Depot yesterday and couldn't find it. Any more detailed suggestions where it was?
Tom,
Go to the wet/dry vac section at Home Depot. (It’s typically up at the front of the store, somewhere near the large custom steel cabinet tool cases.) Look for wet/dry vac accessories. You want a blower nozzle, name brand of Rigid, model #VT2506, SKU#335018, $5.96.

For those of you that may be interested, here are some more install tips:

The seam between the dash and door where I ran the wires and zip ties:

I bought two of the blower nozzles – one I cut up experimenting… ended up using a small end piece as a “filler piece” that I cut to fit between the pillar/dash and the custom boost gauge mount “tube” - which was the 2nd "uncut" blower tube.

Here’s a close-up of the door jamb – I ran and poked the wires through under the rubber door grommet. (Use a knife to carefully poke a small hole in the rubber seal if you want - but then seal it with some silicon sealant.)

The end of the blower tube I plugged using the plug/cap from the end of a tube of epoxy clay that comes in a clear plastic tube. (The cap was a perfect fit, and was the requisite color - black!) I sealed it to the end of the boost tube using some black silicon.

I used a very small piece of black plastic tubing between the blower tube and the meter – to get it to fit a bit snugger. (Cut from an existing tube off of my shop vac) You could also use heavy duty black duct tape to fill this space in.)

Here’s a close up of the autometer gauge. Note that this is model #3377. I purchased Model #3376, which only differs in that it has a 15psi boost measuring range rather than 30psi. (Since the Magnuson only supplies 5.5 psi of boost, 30 psi is too large a range, 15 psi is better suited for this application.

The Electronic Autometer boost gauge can be ordered from:
http://www.martelbros.com (part # ATM 3376 , $169.99)

Yes, this boost gauge is expensive… BUT, it is fully electronic in that it has a sending unit, so, you DO NOT have to run a vacuum line from the blower all the way to the gauge – just the wires! The sending unit you can mount under the hood – it’s pretty small. I mounted mine under the lip of the firewall – near the brake fluid tank/master cylinder.

[Modified by Johnno, 9:39 PM 9/8/2002]
Old 09-09-2002, 12:09 AM
0Sales@MVPAutoParts.com
Former Vendor

Good Job. :cheers:
Old 09-09-2002, 10:56 AM
NoMercy
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very cool! :cheers:
Old 09-10-2002, 11:35 AM
Silver TT
Racer

Default Re: Custom install of boost gauge for my LPE Magnuson setup... pics! (NoMercy)

Nice work Johnno!! :cheers:

That is what this forum is all about. Doing something cool and then sharing the idea and the install tips with your boys.

Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Custom install of boost gauge for my LPE Magnuson setup... pics!

Old 09-10-2002, 08:33 PM
PaceThis
Race Director

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
Mind if I copy it?
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
Old 09-10-2002, 10:00 PM
Joecooool
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Jax Events Coordinator
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08

Thats the same boost gauge I have in my turbo Miata.
Old 09-12-2002, 06:42 PM
Stingray1967
Race Director

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Re: Custom install of boost gauge for my LPE Magnuson setup... pics! (Joecooool)

Wow Johnno! They should tear up your road more often! What was that I heard about "no more mods"? :jester:jester:jester:jester

Just yankin' yer chain man. Looks SWEET! Very nice addition to your UBER-HOOVER! Hope to see you out there this weekend. :cheers:

Quick Reply: Custom install of boost gauge for my LPE Magnuson setup... pics!