C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A&A Supercharger Kit with 25% UD pulley

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 12:59 PM
LiteraCola
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default A&A Supercharger Kit with 25% UD pulley

Good afternoon, guys. I've got an A&A kit coming soon with a V1 head unit. I found a great deal on one so I went for it! I've since been thinking... Back when I did my heads/cam build (Spring 2015) I went back with an OEM crank pulley with an ARP bolt. Everything was right as rain until the bolt decided to back out and I almost lost the pulley. I was naive and used the "special" ARP antisieze instead of Loctite. It made for an interesting time at Carlisle, thats for sure. Anyways, when I repaired it, i went back with a 25% UD Powerbond pulley and pinned it like I should have the first time. I never really planned on installing a blower, at least not for years and years (I've got a 2 yr old at home). When talking to Andy at A&A, I never really thought about the effect that an UD pulley will have on the base 3.8 blower pulley. I called him back later and was told that he could throw in the 3.4 pulley but the belt size would be a guess. I'm okay with measuring and experimenting with belts, but I figured I would ask you guys what you thought would be the best path to take. I could swap the crank pulley out for a stock one, but for the amount of work involved (and the fact that it's already pinned), I'd rather not do that.
I've also heard things about the extra lateral torque loads that a blower places on the crank, resulting in a broken crankshaft.
I came across a good belt guide that shows all the lengths and part numbers for Gates belts, so that helps. Looking at the A&A site, the belt that comes with the 3.8 pulley (assuming a stock crank pulley) is 91 5/8"....3.6 is 90 7/8"... and 3.4 is 90 5/8. There has to be some kind of formula that the car gods have devised to make this easier...
Has anyone run into this before? Thanks!

Last edited by LiteraCola; 06-15-2016 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:10 PM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Received 352 Likes on 278 Posts

You can always use a length of string to wrap the pulleys and then measure the string to get your belt size.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:14 PM
LiteraCola
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Turpid porpoise
You can always use a length of string to wrap the pulleys and then measure the string to get your belt size.
Isn't there a manual tensioner on the blower bracket to adjust for that? I don't know how much adjustment is there. This is my first experience with a blower install.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:16 PM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Received 352 Likes on 278 Posts

There is a manual tensioner but you can still measure the length with a string. Once you install the belt you tighten the tensioner to get proper belt tension.
The following users liked this post:
LiteraCola (06-15-2016)
Old 06-15-2016, 02:40 PM
StuntHeavy
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I measured mine, ordered, and was still wrong.

Seems a lot of people buy a few different sizes and return the ones that don't work for them.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:15 PM
Cutlassmaster
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 84 Posts

How much shorter is your UD belt compared to a stock belt? Take the difference and subtract that from a stock blower belt to come up with what you need. At least that is what i would do but that is only logical to me.
Chris
Old 06-15-2016, 07:27 PM
silver408z
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

The smaller crank pulley will also decrease your belt wrap. I am having a procharger installed on my car and went with an OD pulley to increase boost and belt wrap.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:41 PM
stryderss
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ewter-pig.html

yes if you happen to be running a v3 si or T trim and have a 25% underdriven balancer and a 3.6 blower pulley then A GATES K060878 is the belt you will need to run, could run the K60874 too. want to grab a J bar and see if i can get it a little tighter

should work for a 3.8 also

hope this helps
Old 06-16-2016, 02:34 PM
LiteraCola
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stryderss
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ewter-pig.html

yes if you happen to be running a v3 si or T trim and have a 25% underdriven balancer and a 3.6 blower pulley then A GATES K060878 is the belt you will need to run, could run the K60874 too. want to grab a J bar and see if i can get it a little tighter

should work for a 3.8 also

hope this helps
As i said, A&A is going to send my blower with the 3.4 pulley and "guess " at the belt size. If it's too small I'll try the tensioner holding trick and see what happens! It'll be a little while before I install it anyways! Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 06-16-2016, 02:34 PM
LiteraCola
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by silver408z
The smaller crank pulley will also decrease your belt wrap. I am having a procharger installed on my car and went with an OD pulley to increase boost and belt wrap.
I guess if I run into issues I can go through the trouble of swapping out the crank pulley. Damnit.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:07 PM
LiteraCola
Burning Brakes

After much discussion with my tuner and Andy @ A&A, I've decided to err on the side of caution (and my sanity) and just swap out the UD pulley for a stock one. It's another few hours of work, but this'll be the third time I've done it, so I'm getting very efficient at it! That way, there's no guessing when it comes to belt size or pulley size. Strap it on (giggity) and go!
The following users liked this post:
Josh@AandASuperchargers (06-27-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To A&A Supercharger Kit with 25% UD pulley

Quick Reply: A&A Supercharger Kit with 25% UD pulley