C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which engine oil for boosted cars?

 
Old 09-20-2016, 04:03 PM
  #1  
corvet786c
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
corvet786c's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2007
Location: Port St Lucie Florida
Posts: 1,590
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Default Which engine oil for boosted cars?

I know this topic has been beaten to death, and I have searched the forums and called a couple of vendors getting different answers. I currently live in Fla and use 5w-30 but the oil temps get around 220-235 daily driving, should I be concerned. Or just keep what I have.

But reading other are using 10w-30 10w-40 etc. any difference. Thoughts? More Zinc is better etc etc. Valvoline VR-1 synthetic.

My setup is Boosted LS6 forged pistons, rods, D1SC about 8lbs of boost, daily driver occasional drag racing.

Can I get away just buying full synthetic at walmart? Pennzoil platnium

Last edited by corvet786c; 09-20-2016 at 04:05 PM.
corvet786c is offline  
Old 09-20-2016, 05:07 PM
  #2  
Dave concrete
CF Senior Member
 
Dave concrete's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Location: long Island NY
Posts: 12,377
Likes: 0
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by corvet786c View Post
I know this topic has been beaten to death, and I have searched the forums and called a couple of vendors getting different answers. I currently live in Fla and use 5w-30 but the oil temps get around 220-235 daily driving, should I be concerned. Or just keep what I have.

But reading other are using 10w-30 10w-40 etc. any difference. Thoughts? More Zinc is better etc etc. Valvoline VR-1 synthetic.

My setup is Boosted LS6 forged pistons, rods, D1SC about 8lbs of boost, daily driver occasional drag racing.

Can I get away just buying full synthetic at walmart? Pennzoil platnium
Still use Mobil 1, and so does GM. still use 5w 30.
Dave concrete is offline  
The following users liked this post: Dave concrete
HOZ06 (05-03-2017)
Old 09-20-2016, 05:15 PM
  #3  
robert miller
CF Senior Member
 
robert miller's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: cookeville tennessee
Posts: 26,592
Liked 1,154 Times in 1,048 Posts
Default ttt

I would ask the engine builder what to use. If he build the motor with a blower in mind you may need to use a thicker oil. Robert

Last edited by robert miller; 09-20-2016 at 05:16 PM.
robert miller is offline  
Old 09-20-2016, 05:19 PM
  #4  
nullpointer
CF Senior Member
 
nullpointer's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2011
Location: East Aurora NY
Posts: 1,744
Liked 32 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Ask the builder about the weight. I run pennzoil ultra platinum and haven't had any issues.
nullpointer is offline  
Old 09-20-2016, 05:39 PM
  #5  
corvet786c
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
corvet786c's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2007
Location: Port St Lucie Florida
Posts: 1,590
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Well I called texas speed, because its built and they built it forged LS6 shortblock. They said Valvoline VR-1 synthetic 10w-30

But I heard that too much zinc is bad for o2 sensors, Is this correct. I am catless with longtube headers.

Can you guys clarify this info for me, about the zinc factor and not much detergents in it?

Also would changing oil weight to 10w 30 add more pressure in the motor. Would more oil blowby get on the breather cap?

Last edited by corvet786c; 09-20-2016 at 05:46 PM.
corvet786c is offline  
Old 09-20-2016, 05:49 PM
  #6  
Turpid porpoise
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Turpid porpoise's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2014
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,417
Liked 118 Times in 111 Posts
Default

You should be fine with that oil. My understanding is that excess zinc, phosphorous, etc can clog the porous membrane of the o2 sensor but your o2 sensor shouldn't be getting enough of it from your oil to substantially decrease the life of your sensors.
Turpid porpoise is offline  
The following users liked this post: Turpid porpoise
corvet786c (09-20-2016)
Old 09-20-2016, 06:04 PM
  #7  
corvet786c
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
corvet786c's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2007
Location: Port St Lucie Florida
Posts: 1,590
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Default

So is my current oil weight (5w-30) the optimum for my set up? I am thinking even a 5w-40 or 10w-40 just to try to get those oil temps down a little while cruzing but still lubricate well.
corvet786c is offline  
Old 09-20-2016, 08:42 PM
  #8  
junk c5
CF Senior Member
 
junk c5's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2010
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 1,032
Liked 37 Times in 36 Posts
Default

I've got a front mount turbo which creates a lot of heat under the hood. AES built my motor and advised I use Valvoline VR-1 synthetic 20w-50. I know it's a tad thick so I was told to let the motor get a little heat into it before I start whooping on it.
junk c5 is offline  
Old 09-20-2016, 09:35 PM
  #9  
FixedRoof
CF Senior Member
 
FixedRoof's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2003
Location: FL
Posts: 2,683
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Default

FL here as well and it has been hot recently. I normally use VR-1 in my forged LS6 C5 and Rotella in my stock bottom magnacharged LS6. I don't care for Mobil 1 anymore. It isn't what it used to be. Last time that I used it in my magnacharged car it drained out like water. This car is very hard on oil, not a C5 and has high oil temps. I'd rather run regular Valvoline Synpower.

10w-30 isn't really going to be thicker than 5w-30 at high oil temps. They are both 30wt at operating temp. I've never ran a 5w-30 in any of my cars

How is the oil pressure?

Last edited by FixedRoof; 09-20-2016 at 09:37 PM.
FixedRoof is offline  
Old 09-21-2016, 02:28 AM
  #10  
corvet786c
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
corvet786c's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2007
Location: Port St Lucie Florida
Posts: 1,590
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FixedRoof View Post
FL here as well and it has been hot recently. I normally use VR-1 in my forged LS6 C5 and Rotella in my stock bottom magnacharged LS6. I don't care for Mobil 1 anymore. It isn't what it used to be. Last time that I used it in my magnacharged car it drained out like water. This car is very hard on oil, not a C5 and has high oil temps. I'd rather run regular Valvoline Synpower.

10w-30 isn't really going to be thicker than 5w-30 at high oil temps. They are both 30wt at operating temp. I've never ran a 5w-30 in any of my cars

How is the oil pressure?
Oil pressure seems to be normal in what I see, after warm up and acceleration go to 55-60 psi then when idling at normal temps at a light 30-35 psi. This is a forged LS6 procharged with 8lbs of boost. Thanks Thoughts? So what would you suggest 10w-40? I thought Rotella was for diesel trucks?

Last edited by corvet786c; 09-21-2016 at 02:30 AM.
corvet786c is offline  
Old 09-21-2016, 06:47 AM
  #11  
Cutlassmaster
CF Senior Member
 
Cutlassmaster's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2011
Location: Fredericksburg Virginia
Posts: 942
Likes: 0
Liked 53 Times in 51 Posts
Default

My stock LS1 was running 216 - 226 oil temps on 5w-30 Amsoil. I put together an oil cooler set up with a 180 thermostat. It was running under 200 normal. At a road course it hit 205. Been really happy with it. Now its time to forge the motor and turn up a little more boost. My oil pressures hot were about 30 idle and 46 on highway.
Cutlassmaster is offline  
Old 09-21-2016, 08:09 PM
  #12  
neverstop
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,034
Liked 105 Times in 99 Posts
Default

i would go with whatever your engine builder recommends. LME built my motor and they recommend joe gibbs oil 10w40 for my motor
neverstop is offline  
Old 09-22-2016, 12:53 PM
  #13  
Quickshift_C5
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 2,604
Liked 111 Times in 101 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Cutlassmaster View Post
My stock LS1 was running 216 - 226 oil temps on 5w-30 Amsoil. I put together an oil cooler set up with a 180 thermostat. It was running under 200 normal. At a road course it hit 205. Been really happy with it. Now its time to forge the motor and turn up a little more boost. My oil pressures hot were about 30 idle and 46 on highway.
This is exactly my experience with my AES Forged LS6. I use Amsoil Premium Performance 10W40. No oil cooler yet.
Quickshift_C5 is online now  
Old 09-22-2016, 02:12 PM
  #14  
Dunn
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2006
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 224
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Rotella 15w40
Dunn is offline  
Old 09-22-2016, 04:03 PM
  #15  
Smoove
CF Senior Member
 
Smoove's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2002
Location: East Coast fl
Posts: 3,295
Liked 38 Times in 35 Posts
Default

5w is too lite...I would go with a 10 or 15 weight in a supercharged florida car....or 20 or 20/50 wt turbo car in florida.
Smoove is offline  
Old 09-22-2016, 11:22 PM
  #16  
reactor2
CF Senior Member
 
reactor2's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,714
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Royal Purple HPS is the correct answer.

Last edited by reactor2; 09-22-2016 at 11:23 PM.
reactor2 is offline  
Old 09-23-2016, 07:28 AM
  #17  
corvet786c
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
corvet786c's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2007
Location: Port St Lucie Florida
Posts: 1,590
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Smoove View Post
5w is too lite...I would go with a 10 or 15 weight in a supercharged florida car....or 20 or 20/50 wt turbo car in florida.
This is what I am trying to figure out. All I need to know would 10w-30 be thicker or 10w-40. I am not worried about cold start ups in Fla But want to make sure bearings cam crank are in good syn oil.
corvet786c is offline  
Old 09-23-2016, 08:40 AM
  #18  
Smoove
CF Senior Member
 
Smoove's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2002
Location: East Coast fl
Posts: 3,295
Liked 38 Times in 35 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by corvet786c View Post
This is what I am trying to figure out. All I need to know would 10w-30 be thicker or 10w-40. I am not worried about cold start ups in Fla But want to make sure bearings cam crank are in good syn oil.
I run straight 50 weight in my turbo car, and I am right down the road from you. We run 20wt in another non turbo car, also right down the street from you. To answer your question the 10w40, will be thicker than 10w30 AT HIGHER TEMPERATURE.
Smoove is offline  
Old 09-23-2016, 11:14 AM
  #19  
corvet786c
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
corvet786c's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2007
Location: Port St Lucie Florida
Posts: 1,590
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Smoove View Post
I run straight 50 weight in my turbo car, and I am right down the road from you. We run 20wt in another non turbo car, also right down the street from you. To answer your question the 10w40, will be thicker than 10w30 AT HIGHER TEMPERATURE.
Will I lose horsepower using the 10w-40 from 5w-30, also will this bring my oil temps down?
corvet786c is offline  
Old 09-23-2016, 12:09 PM
  #20  
Corvette0096
CF Senior Member
 
Corvette0096's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2000
Location: Vancouver,Wa.
Posts: 11,499
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Rotella 15w40
Corvette0096 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which engine oil for boosted cars?


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: