Notices
C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5Z LS3 rear mount turbo build

 
Old 11-03-2016, 04:02 PM
  #1  
turboffr
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
turboffr's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2009
Location: Middleboro MA
Posts: 1,207
Thanked 35 Times in 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10
Default

So I just finished swapping an LS3 into my C5Z with a Pat G cam and all supporting mods. It's running great and making a ton of power but I'm itching for another project to do over the winter. I know front mount turbo is more efficient, but rear mounts can work well if setup right. Car is mainly just a weekend toy to play around with, and will see an occasional trip to the 1/4 mile. 15 psi max (for now). Will try it out with current cam (232/240 112+2) and if too laggy I will swap it out for something more turbo friendly. Let me know if something doesn't look right with my plan. Thanks

Forced Inductions billet S475 87 1.10 A/R T4
C5Z manifolds w/v bands
2.5" exhaust from manifolds to Y
2.5" from Y to turbo (All exhaust will be wrapped)
2.5" aluminum piping from turbo to IC
60mm TiAL WG
50mm TiAL BOV
4an oil feed
Turbowerx oil pump
10an oil return
Treadstone intercooler (or equivalent)
ID 850 injectors
ECS stage 1 fuel system
3 bar speed density tune using HP Tuners
2.5 bar MAP sensor
AEM Tru Boost Controller

Last edited by turboffr; 02-27-2017 at 03:46 PM.
turboffr is offline  
Old 11-03-2016, 08:59 PM
  #2  
skull
CF Senior Member
 
skull's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2011
Location: frederick md
Posts: 1,597
Thanked 28 Times in 27 Posts
Default

looks good to me
skull is offline  
Old 11-04-2016, 01:23 AM
  #3  
Turbotyla
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2015
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

just did a forged 370 in mine, subd
Turbotyla is offline  
Old 11-04-2016, 08:33 AM
  #4  
junk c5
CF Senior Member
 
junk c5's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2010
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 1,011
Thanked 36 Times in 35 Posts
Default

The forced inductions S480 w/billet ETR wheel is nasty. I've got it in T4 with a .96 turbine on a front mount 390 cu motor. If your looking to make serious power with minimal backpressure you may want to look into something with a larger turbine. But if you already have that unit I'd probably stick with it.

I had a master power T4 70mm with a .81 a/r housing that spooled pretty quick on my stock shortblock rear mount combo. Car made 565 RWHP at 15lbs.

Last edited by junk c5; 11-04-2016 at 08:36 AM.
junk c5 is offline  
Old 11-04-2016, 08:42 AM
  #5  
junk c5
CF Senior Member
 
junk c5's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2010
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 1,011
Thanked 36 Times in 35 Posts
Default

P.S. I originally had 3 inch tubing from the turbo up to the I/C and I found a noticeable difference from stepping it down to 2 1/2 in the spooling and how quick the power came on. I would do 2 1/2.... but that's just me, it's been done many time with 3 inch as well.
junk c5 is offline  
Old 11-04-2016, 08:51 AM
  #6  
turboffr
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
turboffr's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2009
Location: Middleboro MA
Posts: 1,207
Thanked 35 Times in 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10
Default

Originally Posted by junk c5 View Post
The forced inductions S480 w/billet ETR wheel is nasty. I've got it in T4 with a .96 turbine on a front mount 390 cu motor. If your looking to make serious power with minimal backpressure you may want to look into something with a larger turbine. But if you already have that unit I'd probably stick with it. I had a master power T4 70mm with a .81 a/r housing that spooled pretty quick on my stock shortblock rear mount combo. Car made 565 RWHP at 15lbs.
The S475 87 T4 1.10 is what Forced Inductions recommended for the rear mount setup. I told them I wanted to make up to 750rwhp. I don't have it yet...they're building it now.
turboffr is offline  
Old 11-04-2016, 08:54 AM
  #7  
turboffr
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
turboffr's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2009
Location: Middleboro MA
Posts: 1,207
Thanked 35 Times in 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10
Default

Originally Posted by junk c5 View Post
P.S. I originally had 3 inch tubing from the turbo up to the I/C and I found a noticeable difference from stepping it down to 2 1/2 in the spooling and how quick the power came on. I would do 2 1/2.... but that's just me, it's been done many time with 3 inch as well.
I was thinking the same after reading a few build threads. The turbo has 3" outlet so I figured I would run that up to IC.
turboffr is offline  
Old 11-04-2016, 08:58 AM
  #8  
junk c5
CF Senior Member
 
junk c5's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2010
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 1,011
Thanked 36 Times in 35 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by turboffr View Post
I was thinking the same after reading a few build threads. The turbo has 3" outlet so I figured I would run that up to IC.
Get a silicone reducer 3 to 2 1/2 from Race Parts Solution. That's my go to guy for turbo stuff.
https://www.racepartsolutions.com

Last edited by junk c5; 11-04-2016 at 08:59 AM.
junk c5 is offline  
Old 11-04-2016, 09:09 AM
  #9  
turboffr
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
turboffr's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2009
Location: Middleboro MA
Posts: 1,207
Thanked 35 Times in 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10
Default

Originally Posted by junk c5 View Post
Get a silicone reducer 3 to 2 1/2 from Race Parts Solution. That's my go to guy for turbo stuff. https://www.racepartsolutions.com
Yup. I used them when I built a turbo setup for my factory five cobra (that's where turboffr comes from). 2300 lbs with a built 306 and a MP 70mm turbo! Name:  image-2910308489.jpg
Views: 2242
Size:  318.3 KB


Name:  image-3821085832.jpg
Views: 2102
Size:  296.7 KB

Last edited by turboffr; 11-04-2016 at 09:12 AM.
turboffr is offline  
Old 11-06-2016, 10:17 PM
  #10  
S400z06
CF Member
 
S400z06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2014
Posts: 74
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Wouldn't it be more efficient to have the two 2.5" going into the Y and 3" coming out to the turbo?
S400z06 is offline  
Old 11-06-2016, 10:51 PM
  #11  
junk c5
CF Senior Member
 
junk c5's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2010
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 1,011
Thanked 36 Times in 35 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by turboffr View Post
Yup. I used them when I built a turbo setup for my factory five cobra (that's where turboffr comes from). 2300 lbs with a built 306 and a MP 70mm turbo! Attachment 48033369


Attachment 48033370
I bet that combo made for a nasty streetcar. I'd love to hit a few corners in it.
junk c5 is offline  
Old 11-07-2016, 08:11 AM
  #12  
turboffr
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
turboffr's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2009
Location: Middleboro MA
Posts: 1,207
Thanked 35 Times in 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10
Default

Originally Posted by frcex View Post
Wouldn't it be more efficient to have the two 2.5" going into the Y and 3" coming out to the turbo?
This is the one decision that I got hung up on. Do I go 2.5 to 2.5 or 2.5 to 3.0? My understanding is that using 2.5 to the turbo will keep exhaust velocity up which is needed for rear mount. It was discussed a bit in this thread. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rbo-build.html

I'm open to more discussion on it if using 2.5 to turbo is not going work well for my setup, create too much back pressure, etc.
turboffr is offline  
Old 11-07-2016, 01:24 PM
  #13  
Turbotyla
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2015
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'm curious to see how it does. I've also thought of using a s475.

and I agree keeping 2.5 all the way back should help with spool.
Turbotyla is offline  
Old 11-07-2016, 01:26 PM
  #14  
DANZGLASS
CF Senior Member
 
DANZGLASS's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2007
Location: Federal Way WA
Posts: 2,986
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Mine is 2.5 off the manifolds into a 3 back to the turbo. 3 in from turbo to intercooler. 3in from intercooler to TB. Built 5.3 and a BB 7675. Spools super fast! Wrap the entire hotside as well.
DANZGLASS is offline  
Old 11-07-2016, 01:29 PM
  #15  
DANZGLASS
CF Senior Member
 
DANZGLASS's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2007
Location: Federal Way WA
Posts: 2,986
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default

I was also able to make 850whp when it was a L33/7175. makes 900+at the moment with more left. So that turbo should have no issues making 750whp.

Last edited by DANZGLASS; 11-07-2016 at 01:30 PM.
DANZGLASS is offline  
Old 11-07-2016, 01:35 PM
  #16  
Turbotyla
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2015
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

danzglass I'm friends with you on Facebook. I just got my forged 370 lined out. next step is a s475 rear mount.

I really want to see how this one does. I will also keep my current cam and see how it does.
Turbotyla is offline  
Old 11-07-2016, 02:25 PM
  #17  
turboffr
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
turboffr's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2009
Location: Middleboro MA
Posts: 1,207
Thanked 35 Times in 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10
Default

Originally Posted by DANZGLASS View Post
Mine is 2.5 off the manifolds into a 3 back to the turbo. 3 in from turbo to intercooler. 3in from intercooler to TB. Built 5.3 and a BB 7675. Spools super fast! Wrap the entire hotside as well.
I ended up ordering the pipe and will have 2.5 off manifolds into a 3 merge then transition it back down to 2.5 into turbo to maintain velocity. Will be wrapped from manifolds to turbo.
turboffr is offline  
Old 11-08-2016, 11:27 AM
  #18  
turboffr
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
turboffr's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2009
Location: Middleboro MA
Posts: 1,207
Thanked 35 Times in 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10
Default

Originally Posted by DANZGLASS View Post
I was also able to make 850whp when it was a L33/7175. makes 900+at the moment with more left. So that turbo should have no issues making 750whp.
how much boost were you running?
turboffr is offline  
Old 11-08-2016, 07:47 PM
  #19  
DANZGLASS
CF Senior Member
 
DANZGLASS's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2007
Location: Federal Way WA
Posts: 2,986
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default

20lbs on the L33/7175. 21lbs on the built motor 7675. More eventually if traction will allow.

Last edited by DANZGLASS; 11-08-2016 at 07:48 PM.
DANZGLASS is offline  
Old 11-08-2016, 08:44 PM
  #20  
turboffr
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
turboffr's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2009
Location: Middleboro MA
Posts: 1,207
Thanked 35 Times in 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10
Default

Originally Posted by DANZGLASS View Post
20lbs on the L33/7175. 21lbs on the built motor 7675. More eventually if traction will allow.
Wow! Very nice job on your build....
turboffr is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C5Z LS3 rear mount turbo build


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: