C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flex fuel on the C5

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 04:49 PM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Podium
The pcm will adjust stoich based on the ethanol content it sees from the sensor reading.

The pcm would see 10 percent based on your example.
That's the problem though, the sensor is measuring gasoline, not ethanol. It's assuming that anything in the tank that's not gasoline is ethanol.

So in that situation, it would think something like E55 was in the tank...not accurate.

Final question, what happens to ethanol when you store it for long period of time? It attracts water.

Go run straight water through your FF sensor..it will say E100
Old 06-30-2017, 05:26 PM
Podium
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Milan
That's the problem though, the sensor is measuring gasoline, not ethanol. It's assuming that anything in the tank that's not gasoline is ethanol.

So in that situation, it would think something like E55 was in the tank...not accurate.

Final question, what happens to ethanol when you store it for long period of time? It attracts water.

Go run straight water through your FF sensor..it will say E100
You obviously don't like flex fuel or e85 so I don't get why you're in this thread. It works and it works well. Hoepfully we can get this thread back on track.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:25 PM
wilson34
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had much success running flex fuel in my CTS-V, obviously I ran a wideband so I was always able to verify the sensor to make sure there was no "lack of reliability" according to Milan. Every does need to understand the storage issues with E85, but other than that I don't see the problem with taking advantage of the additional octane from E85.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:22 PM
TTBlueZ06
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

You obviously don't like flex fuel or e85 so I don't get why you're in this thread. It works and it works well. Hoepfully we can get this thread back on track.

Milan was running a stock bottom end ls6 on E85 with a YSI making 1000hp years ago... Do not make assumptions because you disagree with their logic.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:10 AM
slow ride
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I would rather have flex fuel than not if using pump e85 imho. In our area they don't require strict ethanol content at the e85 pumps so now it can very e55-e83. Most of ours test at e70-75 which is fine, but it wouldn't hurt to have a bit more information from the sensor even if it can read false due to water content.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:12 AM
LTstewy8
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It just takes care of it huh? How is it properly adjusting the fuel trims without a wideband?

In my experience flex fuel sensors are not accurate at all. Here is a scenario for you:

If you have 1 gallon of pump gas, E10, and you pour 1 gallon of water in there. So now you have 50% water, 50% E10. What is the ethanol content sensor going to read?
It adjusts fuel trims (assuming fuel trims are not turned off/ open loop) the same way it always does on a non-wideband capable pcm. The narrowband targets stoich regardless of ethanol content or fuel type.

As for water detection, the sensor will output a specific frequency outside of normal operating range (50-150Hz) if water is detected (180hz maybe?). There is an associated trouble code (P0178) for this condition on vehicles equipped with flex fuel from the factory
Old 07-01-2017, 08:45 AM
Pekka_Perkeles
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by LTstewy8
As for water detection, the sensor will output a specific frequency outside of normal operating range (50-150Hz) if water is detected (180hz maybe?). There is an associated trouble code (P0178) for this condition on vehicles equipped with flex fuel from the factory
Maybe P0177 instead?

"FFS circuit range/performance" sounds good.

Very good to know anyyway. I was not aware of this.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:13 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by silver408z
His business is performing the work on cars. He has taken the time figure something out and how to make it work. He has avoided the question because he is not just going to give away his hard work for everyone else to know. I don't blame him either.
I have a problem with this. People who read the big secret on here and don't do it armed with that info never were going to anyway. The people that do would have still figured it out some other way. Seems pointless to keep the secret as most people are too scared to touch wires much less start PCM/OS/segment swapping things around.
Old 07-01-2017, 03:25 PM
LTstewy8
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pekka_Perkeles
Maybe P0177 instead?

"FFS circuit range/performance" sounds good.

Very good to know anyyway. I was not aware of this.
Not exactly sure which dtc it would report, but just to clarify- you would need an ecm capable of taking advantage of that particular flex fuel sensor functionality.

Sorry to derail the thread, I'm looking forward to some good results for those who are trying to make it happen.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:37 PM
Podium
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TTBlueZ06

Milan was running a stock bottom end ls6 on E85 with a YSI making 1000hp years ago... Do not make assumptions because you disagree with their logic.

And what does it matter what he had? Doesnt justify being a ********. I know plenty of guys who make high power and dont know what they are talking about.

Last edited by Podium; 07-09-2017 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:47 PM
Drewstein
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
I have a problem with this. People who read the big secret on here and don't do it armed with that info never were going to anyway. The people that do would have still figured it out some other way. Seems pointless to keep the secret as most people are too scared to touch wires much less start PCM/OS/segment swapping things around.
You're expecting someone who invested time and money in something to give it to you for free; that's the issue. Maybe if you PM the guy and compensate him for the info then they would share it.
The following users liked this post:
TTBlueZ06 (07-09-2017)
Old 07-09-2017, 09:51 PM
Podium
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Drewstein
You're expecting someone who invested time and money in something to give it to you for free; that's the issue. Maybe if you PM the guy and compensate him for the info then they would share it.

His point it that why comment if youre not going to share anything. I agree with that.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:05 PM
Milan
Safety Car

It doesn't matter because the stock flex fuel was not intended for performance applications. Unless you have a wideband off of each bank that is constantly adjusting fuel trims there is no point in knowing what percentage of non-gasoline you have in your tank.

If you want proper flex fuel you will need standalone. Just because some shops got it to work with the stock ECU doesn't help much. The stock setup was inadequate from the factory. Now if you have a Cobalt SS or something that has a factory wideband, that's a different story.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:43 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

His point it that why comment if youre not going to share anything. I agree with that.
Thank you.

It doesn't matter because the stock flex fuel was not intended for performance applications. Unless you have a wideband off of each bank that is constantly adjusting fuel trims there is no point in knowing what percentage of non-gasoline you have in your tank.

If you want proper flex fuel you will need standalone. Just because some shops got it to work with the stock ECU doesn't help much. The stock setup was inadequate from the factory. Now if you have a Cobalt SS or something that has a factory wideband, that's a different story.
Please expand on this, I don't see the need for widebands here since all a factory O2 does is trim. Narrowbands only read in lambda* so it doesn't matter what the AFR is especially with a fuel sensor telling the PCM where to start.

Last edited by Supercharged111; 07-10-2017 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Meant to say lambda, not stoich
Old 07-10-2017, 10:04 PM
Milan
Safety Car

Thank you.

Please expand on this, I don't see the need for widebands here since all a factory O2 does is trim. Narrowbands only read in lambda* so it doesn't matter what the AFR is especially with a fuel sensor telling the PCM where to start.
All o2 sensors read in lambda.

The stock narrowbands only function in closed loop, when you go WOT you are in open loop. Most modern performance cars will use the widebands to correct to what AFR/lambda/etc. you are commanding. Without this, there is no way to properly do flex fuel IMO. Sure the factory PCM has similar functionality, but it was only designed for a stock vehicle
Old 07-10-2017, 10:06 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

If your VE and MAF is set up correctly then commanded fueling matches delivered. I fail to see how flex fuel would affect this. Correcting WOT AFRs real time seems like a bass ackwards way to do it. Am I missing something here? Aside from the water thing.

Last edited by Supercharged111; 07-10-2017 at 10:10 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:24 PM
Milan
Safety Car

If your VE and MAF is set up correctly then commanded fueling matches delivered. I fail to see how flex fuel would affect this. Correcting WOT AFRs real time seems like a bass ackwards way to do it. Am I missing something here? Aside from the water thing.
MAF? Who is that applicable to in this forum?

So your approach is to tune on 100% gasoline, then do another tune on E98 and have the ECU be able to interpolate the values in between with 100% accuracy?

Get notified of new replies

To Flex fuel on the C5

Old 07-10-2017, 10:27 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

MAF? Who is that applicable to in this forum?

So your approach is to tune on 100% gasoline, then do another tune on E98 and have the ECU be able to interpolate the values in between with 100% accuracy?
I can't say, i've never dealt with E85 before. But I know the stock stuff can interpolate or else it wouldn't be flex fuel. Again, what am i missing here? Should I go pull up a stock flex fuel tune and report back?
Old 07-11-2017, 04:21 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

The purpose of this thread is to discuss retrofitting a C5 with another compatible PCM with the flex fuel tables and setting up the tables to do just that; determine the ethanol content and alter stoich to in-tern alter fueling based on the content. Also to add or remove timing based on ethanol content.

Sure an aftermarket system with closed loop WOT is better but there are plenty of gen4 PCM guys making tons of power on varying levels of corn and the PCM adjusts fuel and timing based on the ethanol content in closed loop or open loop. Granted it's not correcting fueling at WOT in open loop but it knows the ethanol content and it knows how to adjust the fuel so if you're commanding .8 lambda you get it on pump or corn or anywhere in between. I haven't seen mine differ much. EG if I dial my tune in on 93 and then run the same boost on corn I don't have to alter my VE.

Last edited by 5 Liter Eater; 07-11-2017 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:22 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
The purpose of this thread is to discuss retrofitting a C5 with another compatible PCM with the flex fuel tables and setting up the tables to do just that; determine the ethanol content and alter stoich to in-tern alter fueling based on the content. Also to add or remove timing based on ethanol content.

Sure an aftermarket system with closed loop WOT is better but there are plenty of gen4 PCM guys making tons of power on varying levels of corn and the PCM adjusts fuel and timing based on the ethanol content in closed loop or open loop. Granted it's not correcting fueling at WOT in open loop but it knows the ethanol content and it knows how to adjust the fuel so if you're commanding .8 lambda you get it on pump or corn or anywhere in between. I haven't seen mine differ much. EG if I dial my tune in on 93 and then run the same boost on corn I don't have to alter my VE.
This discussion reminds me of the virtual flex fuel option which can be quite nice in that if the flex fuel sensor mis-interpreted the ethanol content due to water contamination, virtual flex fuel would be able to see past this and act accordingly.

To answer another part of the discussion, technically it is possible to tune a car on 93 and then E98 and interpolate in between and achieve reasonable accuracy. Of course nobody would want to do that and then push their setup to the ragged edge with respect to commanded lambda, but you can certainly keep it safe and hold a significant margin for error by fattening it up a bit and softening up the tune.
As a Haltech dealer, I own a Haltech Elite2500 and have installed and tuned a handful. While it's certainly nice to have all the features that it offers, I consider it to be more of a luxury than a necessity. If a customer came to me and said " I want my car to be able to run ***** out with max performance and Flex fuel capability", I would insist on a good stand-alone ECU.

Offering products from A&A Superchargers, East Coast Superchargers, Mechman Alternators, Mantic clutches, RPS clutches, Kooks Headers, Lakewood, LG, Brian Tooley Racing, Comp Cams, FAST, ARP, UPP Turbo systems, Wiseco, Callies, K1, MAST Motorsports, Haltech and many more. PM me for details.

Quick Reply: Flex fuel on the C5