C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Are all dyno numbers to be taken as truth?
Yes
0%
Dynos are just a tool for tuning and measuring deltas
91.30%
No
8.70%
My car is a dyno queen
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Dyno Education - Tips, Tricks, and False Records

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 01:40 PM
smokinstorm
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by romandian
"car stays between 6000-6800 RPM the whole pass"

how so?
Very loose converter.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:44 PM
smokinstorm
Racer

Originally Posted by Turbo-Geist
Lot's of good info in here. It's interesting that track performance shows up in a dyno thread. I'm all for it actually because you can't cheat the track as far as all out effort. There is no correction factor when you pull around to the time shack for your slip. The scoreboard doesn't show ET and MPH and then the correction factor that was used to obtain the numbers. I'm sure some people would appreciate it because then maybe their car would actually run what the shop's dynosheet claims.

Don't misunderstand me. I understand traction issues, or some mechanical errors happening during the run. However if the car makes a clean pass in every gear like the dyno sheet shows with no hiccups in power delivery, it should get close. A true 1400hp car should be able to fall out of bed and run an 8.99 on a fair pass.
Absolutely. An 800 RWHP C5 can run an 8.9 on a less than perfect pass. Fact.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:36 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

Received 176 Likes on 138 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C5 of Year Finalist

On the topic of waving a dyno sheet around: no problem if it makes you feel good. On the other hand, claiming some type of record, it’s going to require a closer look.

Claim: 899 rwhp

What were the weather conditions that day for the closest weather station at the time the dyno pull was made?

Weather station data
Temperature: 95 degrees F
Pressure: 29.85 in
Humidity: 13%
Elevation: 2,516 feet
DA: 5,511 feet
Actual Correction factor: 1.12

Dyno sheet weather data
Temperature: 97.97 degrees F
Pressure: 26.94 in
Elevation: 2,605 feet
DA: 9,194 feet
Dyno Correction factor: 1.14
Actual Correction factor: 1.27

Actual correction factors above were determined by using an online calculator and inputting elevation, air temperature, altimeter, and dew point. This calculator calculates density altitude as part of the algorithm to determine the correction factor. Pay close attention to the DA the dyno was projecting by using a pressure of 26.94 in. 9,194 feet above sea level? Maybe the dyno was at the peak of Mount Cory in Alberta, Canada?

So how much power did the car actually make based on SAE standards? Let’s remove the hidden correction that was created by entering the pressure as 26.94 in when it was actually 29.85 in.

899 * 1/1.27 = 708 rwhp

For the benefit of the doubt, multiply by the 1.14 correction factor shown on the dyno sheet.

708 * 1.14 = 807 rwhp.

Good numbers? Yes.

Record breaking? No.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:01 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

IMHO, there is no such thing as a "dyno record". Only track records.

I saw this in C7 section a few times, there were claims of dyno numbers that were simply impossible because the fuel system would not support the power posted. Anyone who tunes them regularly knew it but we can't say anything.
The following users liked this post:
Turbo-Geist (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 03:09 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
IMHO, there is no such thing as a "dyno record". Only track records.

I saw this in C7 section a few times, there were claims of dyno numbers that were simply impossible because the fuel system would not support the power posted. Anyone who tunes them regularly knew it but we can't say anything.
Let the math and tech speak for itself. It would be a relatively easy calculation in the case of the C7. You know how much fuel is required for a certain horsepower within a reasonable percentage of error. It is also known how much the C7 fuel system is capable of flowing full tilt. If those two numbers aren't in the ballpark, then something doesn't make sense.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:15 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

At the same time, it's easy enough for a shop to just keep setting records at the track while the other shops can't back up their dyno numbers at the track.

On the 1400hp comment, I'm not saying it takes 1400hp to run 8s. It can be done with way less. However, when shops are blasting dyno videos all over facebook, youtube, and on here of their 1400hp monster and it barely runs 9s @ 15x, just know we are paying attention.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:03 PM
smokinstorm
Racer

At the same time, it's easy enough for a shop to just keep setting records at the track while the other shops can't back up their dyno numbers at the track.

On the 1400hp comment, I'm not saying it takes 1400hp to run 8s. It can be done with way less. However, when shops are blasting dyno videos all over facebook, youtube, and on here of their 1400hp monster and it barely runs 9s @ 15x, just know we are paying attention.

I know that you were not saying it takes 1400 HP to run an 8. I just added that to show how right you are in that a 1400 horsepower car should be able to run an 8 even if the car breaks in half at the 1000' mark. And my 800 RWHP comment is not a "should be able to". It's a "has done it".
Old 04-28-2017, 03:20 PM
Pekka_Perkeles
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts

On the topic of waving a dyno sheet around: no problem if it makes you feel good. On the other hand, claiming some type of record, it’s going to require a closer look.

Claim: 899 rwhp

What were the weather conditions that day for the closest weather station at the time the dyno pull was made?

Weather station data
Temperature: 95 degrees F
Pressure: 29.85 in
Elevation: 2,516 feet
DA: 5,511 feet
Actual Correction factor: 1.12

Dyno sheet weather data
Temperature: 97.97 degrees F
Pressure: 26.94 in
Elevation: 2,605 feet
DA: 9,194 feet
Dyno Correction factor: 1.14
Actual Correction factor: 1.27

Actual correction factors above were determined by using an online calculator and inputting elevation, air temperature, altimeter, and dew point. This calculator calculates density altitude as part of the algorithm to determine the correction factor. Pay close attention to the DA the dyno was projecting by using a pressure of 26.94 in. 9,194 feet above sea level? Maybe the dyno was at the peak of Mount Cory in Alberta, Canada?

So how much power did the car actually make based on SAE standards? Let’s remove the hidden correction that was created by entering the pressure as 26.94 in when it was actually 29.85 in.

899 * 1/1.27 = 708 rwhp

For the benefit of the doubt, multiply by the 1.14 correction factor shown on the dyno sheet.

708 * 1.14 = 807 rwhp.

Good numbers? Yes.

Record breaking? No.
Excellent example.

Ive seen it too many times with US cars imported here in Europe.

Not that they wouldn't run quarter mile as fast as in the new world (USA), but rwhp is most often different. Because of real(istic) correction factor.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:53 PM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Guess we are just a bunch of redneck hillbillies in the US that don't know how to setup any of our tools
Old 04-29-2017, 03:23 AM
Pekka_Perkeles
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Milan
Guess we are just a bunch of redneck hillbillies in the US that don't know how to setup any of our tools
:-)

I guess it's more like STP vs. SAE. Aftermarket likes STP for obvious reasons.

Back to the topic:

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/ght...el-horsepower/
Old 04-29-2017, 09:00 AM
HardcoreABN
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I think they are a great tuning tool, but should not be taken as gospel. A lot of people I know insist I could not have made the power I claimed because I didn't have a dyno sheet to prove it. They also had the misguided belief that a not-so-good driver will run a similar mph to a good driver, which we all know is not the case. I estimate I was around 520rwhp, as I was trapping 130+ while NA while having a mediocre 60' and slow front 1/8 and picking up 35mph on the back half.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:17 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Dynos are certainly a good tuning/diagnostic tool, and when used with the SAE correction, a general "ball park" for comparison purposes, but ultimately, trap speed doesn't lie... granted there is a ton of variables that affect trap speed, and even more that effect ET, but generally speaking, if the car is setup right and geared right, the trap speed/weight/DA equation pretty much tells you your true HP...or at least the HP that counts.

I've seen so many 1000-1200 rwhp cars trapping 150 mph and I just SMH...

I will agree though that BIG hp cars will show the HP/MPH more on longer tracks where there is more time/distance to make up for lack of traction and efficiencies.
I was thinking the dyno was for HIGH HP car's to get dialed in on WOT other than the street & to give a person a some what close to a rwhp #. But for sure a track will be the best place to get a car to peak performance. But just will not have a # but again the car and drive can do all the talking on the 1/4 r 1/8 r 1 mile run what ever it is.

I have had more than one guy that was putting my old car on the rollers what can of number was I hoping for r looking to get. I always told them it is what it is. Robert
Old 04-29-2017, 09:24 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKTPerformance
When I first dyno'd 1021whp, I got a lot of crap from people in the background saying it was BS. I went to 5 other dyno's throughout the DFW metroplex, dyno'd 1000+ at each site and drove home. When I started track tuning my car, I was able to run 151 in the 1/4, but one very significant thing that I discovered is that gears 1 through 3 were lean. I tune the car in 4th gear and it was spot on. With this tune-up, I would back half the **** out of the 1/4 and the 1/8th was no biggie. When I set the tune to better satisfy gears 1-3, I picked up 10mph but lost my back half. If I was ever able to figure out how to satisfy all the gears, I know for a fact I would have been in the 160's, which would have been more reasonable. For the record, this anomaly is something that have seen many times in the manual cars and never see in the autos and I credit that to the load being more evened out throughout the 1/4mi pulls.

Something I've rarely seen mentioned is what all the dyno settings were when someone gets on the dyno. It's something I prefer to know when using a dyno because there's no point in having corrections otherwise. If you're in the general area of what a local weather app reads, I would say you're close enough. All of the above is for comparing notes amongst others. The dyno is really just a great tool for measuring deltas though, something to get you to the track so that you can get it dialed in properly IMO.
Buddy I agree with you on the gearing but also even in the auto cars. I think that is what Arun in his blue car got thur in the gearing in the trans of in the lower gears to make that car really fly in the 1/4 mile. Plus he had the tuning down also. Robert
Old 05-03-2017, 12:47 AM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

I think a lot of people in these boards just want to make a number. They have never drag racer extensively, so their natural answer is "look at the logs."

Too many guys that just want a number, make Street pulls against other cars, then want to tell you about drag racing a streetcar with a M6 when they have little to no experience themselves.

I trapped 149 at 820rwhp at a race weight around 3700 pounds. No skinnies, rollbar, everything. I ate up a few forum members on the street with F series blowers.

I love using the same dyno after new mods, going strait to the track and seeing the MPH gain. As long as I'm in the 1.4-low 1.6 area, I can see how the car performs.

Quick Reply: Dyno Education - Tips, Tricks, and False Records