C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil change novi1500sl

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 10:53 AM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts
Default oil change novi1500sl

im changing the oil for the first time. when on the engine, the dipstick was showing full. i put in a new bottle of oil on the bench leveling the two brass screws. dipstick showed empty. i put in an additional 10-20% of another bottle (which easylly accounts for the drain hose) and still empty. they say to not overfill. so do i fill it up in the level position? i guess so. but what came out was exactly one bottle and why would the bottles be too smal for a fill?
Old 05-16-2017, 12:48 PM
Josh@AandASuperchargers
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 183 Likes on 143 Posts

No it only needs 1 bottle to be full. Drain out what is in it, and only fill it with 1 bottle. The dipstick is designed to be read while the blower is mounted to the car. I never go by the dipstick anyways, just drain it and fill with 1 bottle.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:57 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh@AandASuperchargers
No it only needs 1 bottle to be full. Drain out what is in it, and only fill it with 1 bottle. The dipstick is designed to be read while the blower is mounted to the car. I never go by the dipstick anyways, just drain it and fill with 1 bottle.
Interesting...I have the Vortech v3 Si, but I assume it's the same case with that unit? I've always been trying to use the dipstick and found it a total pain to get a correct reading. So, I can just dump in the whole bottle and go without checking the dipstick reading? Sorry for the sidetrack, but it seems relevant...

Last edited by Quickshift_C5; 05-16-2017 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:07 PM
Josh@AandASuperchargers

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5
Interesting...I have the Vortech v3 Si, but I assume it's the same case with that unit? I've always been trying to use the dipstick and found it a total pain to get a correct reading. So, I can just dump in the whole bottle and go without checking the dipstick reading? Sorry for the sidetrack, but it seems relevant...
Yes I never really go by the dipstick. But if you drain the unit and fill with 1 bottle then check the dipstick with blower mounted to car, make your own full mark on the dipstick for future reference.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:50 AM
romandian
Drifting

thanks. should i drain the 1/10 of an additional bottle now? i have that drain hose on it, so maybe not?
Old 07-08-2017, 02:58 PM
romandian
Drifting

so i didnt drain it. big mistake. first time i hit 6000 it spit out a substantial amount of oil, lubing the belt and leaving a total mess of oily rubber everywhere (i have a "hardcoated" pulley). i had to suck out an additional amount, to make it stopp comming out. now i cant see it on the dipstick. hm.

Last edited by romandian; 07-08-2017 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:48 AM
Josh@AandASuperchargers

Originally Posted by romandian
so i didnt drain it. big mistake. first time i hit 6000 it spit out a substantial amount of oil, lubing the belt and leaving a total mess of oily rubber everywhere (i have a "hardcoated" pulley). i had to suck out an additional amount, to make it stopp comming out. now i cant see it on the dipstick. hm.
Please make sure you have at least 3.6-3.8 oz of oil in the unit. One full bottle of the vortech V3 oil is 4 oz.
Some guys will drain the unit and measure how much they pour in and then make a "new full mark" on the dipstick.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:45 AM
romandian
Drifting

thanks. 3.6 oz is in there for sure.

Get notified of new replies

To oil change novi1500sl

Quick Reply: oil change novi1500sl