C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor done after 1500 supercharged miles...Options?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 05:10 PM
Water_Walker
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

Default Motor done after 1500 supercharged miles...Options?

Hello,

I got a wonderful 1500 supercharged miles out of my 23K mile ls6 after A&A was added (v3 ti-trim, 3.4 pully w/meth.) and I believe a ring let go. 9psi blew the dipstick out, oil everywhere, clank clank, smoke rolling out of the dipstick, etc.

Needless to say I am extremely disappointed!

Of course, unknown damaged to the block. I am looking for options that would not require me to replace the trans. or rear end, thus keeping the power around 6-750rwhp. (I know a ysi ls3 would be great, but not looking at that now...)

Basically just replace the motor. Any suggestions welcome:

Goals:
Street car only
6-750rwhp
driven 3000K miles a year
reuse the top end of the motor (intake, heads..especially).

Thanks for your time.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:34 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

Received 176 Likes on 138 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C5 of Year Finalist

If you are looking to make 600 to 750 and never any more:

1. Find out why the engine failed at the current power level and correct the situation

2. Install another stock engine and enjoy life
The following users liked this post:
Water_Walker (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 08:07 PM
Water_Walker
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Turbo-Geist
If you are looking to make 600 to 750 and never any more:

1. Find out why the engine failed at the current power level and correct the situation

2. Install another stock engine and enjoy life
Who would you recommend as an engine builder? I am fine with a 347, but will forge it since everything is out.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:52 PM
Mike04
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

That is not the norm with these motors. They are usually last well at that level but mechanical failures do just happen... When its going back together look at your fuel system and make sure all is functioning proper. also, make sure your tuner is up to the task.

Good luck
Water_Walker (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 06:59 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Find out if your block can be re-used again and if so just throw a set of rods/pistons into it and be happy at that.

Of course you could also do a cam and some headwork while it's apart too

Another stock motor may be an option, but boost and stock pistons is always a ticking clock
And that clock is counting down faster if the tuner isnt up to the task as Mike says
Water_Walker (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 09:22 PM
Water_Walker
Burning Brakes

Thanks folks. I like the idea of reusing the motor if possible. If not, I am fine with a new 347 forged.

If you have any recommendations of engine builders, please let me know.

One question: if a good tuner was to take his time with your car, how long would it take to tune after the supercharger install? I am asking because I know how much time was taken with mine.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:06 AM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

What I'm about to say is merely my opinion and I like the idea of safety so I stay conseravite.

1.) The difference between 6 and 750 is a lot.

2.) What were you doing for crank case evacuation (just curious)

3.) If you can stand it use an iron block they weigh a bit more but they're a nice thing to have when you do want to raise the boost level.

4.) I can certainly help you with an engine build if you're interested. I've done a few for friends and members here. I happen to havd Generation 3 and 4 Iron 5.3 blocks ready to machine.

For the tuner question I'd like to think an experienced tuner who deals with these PCM's a lot could tune it with in 3-4 hours (maybe leash but someone with less experience could take 8 or more.
Water_Walker (07-23-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 05:01 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Water_Walker
Thanks folks. I like the idea of reusing the motor if possible. If not, I am fine with a new 347 forged.

One question: if a good tuner was to take his time with your car, how long would it take to tune after the supercharger install? I am asking because I know how much time was taken with mine.
How long to tune....such a difficult question to answer and a lot comes down to the setup, the environment, the build, whether there are any problems and of course the competence of the tuner. The last being utterly critical.
And even then, some tuners might be fussier than others as to the end product the customer receives....not just that it simply makes power.

it does seem engine builders too can be a minefield. There are good ones out there, but it seems there are an awful lot you get either mixed or bad reports about.

I see LPE offer an LS1 shortblock for under £4k outright...although not sure if that's current as I didnt think they made the LS1/6 blocks anymore.

I'm sure there are some sponsors on here who can sort you with a motor or rebuild yours, if any might be fairly local to you....sadly even buying say a shortblock seems difficult these days !

Whilst it would require a little more work in terms of fitting, something along the lines of a stock LSA short motor would give a good solid base, but unfortunately that isnt as straightforward as it should be because of the crank and reluctor wheel used.
But at least it would be factory built so guaranteed quality.

Even some of the bigger companies who sell or build engines etc, dont really seem to have much by way of listings on their website, so it will be a case of phoning the to discuss requirements
eg LMR, Texas Speed, Vengeance etc

Even the likes of SDPC dont even really seem to offer much by way of shortblocks etc.

And for only 750 I wouldnt even contemplate iron. It's just adding weight for no benefit whatsoever.
Water_Walker (07-23-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 03:05 PM
Water_Walker
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MVP'S ZO6
What I'm about to say is merely my opinion and I like the idea of safety so I stay conseravite.

1.) The difference between 6 and 750 is a lot.

2.) What were you doing for crank case evacuation (just curious)

3.) If you can stand it use an iron block they weigh a bit more but they're a nice thing to have when you do want to raise the boost level.

4.) I can certainly help you with an engine build if you're interested. I've done a few for friends and members here. I happen to havd Generation 3 and 4 Iron 5.3 blocks ready to machine.

For the tuner question I'd like to think an experienced tuner who deals with these PCM's a lot could tune it with in 3-4 hours (maybe leash but someone with less experience could take 8 or more.
Thanks for the reply:
1. Well, like I mentioned I just want the tranny and rear to stay in the car, so if 750 is too much, then I will leave it. The rear end has been hardened. Tranny stock w/Mantic ER2 clutch.

2. None. I thought I did my homework, but the system was stock. Unsure if that led to its death. I do know I had pressure in the crank case given the dipstick situation and I blew the front crank seal. Even with that would that have lead to a ring letting go?

3. I am open to both.

4. I know you can. I have been around long enough to know some of the good people on this forum. You are one. My problem is that I live in Wyoming, so nothing nearby. I ended up going to CO to have the tuner tune the car...place was recommended to be by A&A. I thought I couldn't go wrong. I am not hear to bash anyone, but I will say I am very disappointed.

In the end, I just take responsibility...it does no good to blame the tuner. I just will never go back there, recommended them, and will give an honest opinion if someone asks me.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:06 PM
Water_Walker
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
How long to tune....such a difficult question to answer and a lot comes down to the setup, the environment, the build, whether there are any problems and of course the competence of the tuner. The last being utterly critical.
And even then, some tuners might be fussier than others as to the end product the customer receives....not just that it simply makes power.

it does seem engine builders too can be a minefield. There are good ones out there, but it seems there are an awful lot you get either mixed or bad reports about.

I see LPE offer an LS1 shortblock for under £4k outright...although not sure if that's current as I didnt think they made the LS1/6 blocks anymore.

I'm sure there are some sponsors on here who can sort you with a motor or rebuild yours, if any might be fairly local to you....sadly even buying say a shortblock seems difficult these days !

Whilst it would require a little more work in terms of fitting, something along the lines of a stock LSA short motor would give a good solid base, but unfortunately that isnt as straightforward as it should be because of the crank and reluctor wheel used.
But at least it would be factory built so guaranteed quality.

Even some of the bigger companies who sell or build engines etc, dont really seem to have much by way of listings on their website, so it will be a case of phoning the to discuss requirements
eg LMR, Texas Speed, Vengeance etc

Even the likes of SDPC dont even really seem to offer much by way of shortblocks etc.

And for only 750 I wouldnt even contemplate iron. It's just adding weight for no benefit whatsoever.
Thanks....and I agree, I will stay away from iron for my current goals.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:29 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

And blowing oil out, the dipstick etc etc are all symptoms of the damage ( ie busted piston ), not the cause.

And whilst it is often the first port of call to blame the tuner, even more so given only 1500 miles since installed and tuned. You also cannot rule out a genuine problem having caused the engine failure.
Whether fuel system related, methanol or other unrelated problem that popped up.

A large amount of responsibility does lie with the tuner.....perhaps even all. But there is a small chance there may be almost none at all and that cannot really be known until it is running again and all systems are checked to see if they are actually working as intended.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:20 PM
Water_Walker
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
And blowing oil out, the dipstick etc etc are all symptoms of the damage ( ie busted piston ), not the cause.

And whilst it is often the first port of call to blame the tuner, even more so given only 1500 miles since installed and tuned. You also cannot rule out a genuine problem having caused the engine failure.
Whether fuel system related, methanol or other unrelated problem that popped up.

A large amount of responsibility does lie with the tuner.....perhaps even all. But there is a small chance there may be almost none at all and that cannot really be known until it is running again and all systems are checked to see if they are actually working as intended.
Well stated, which is why I am not here bashing the tuner. I will take responsibility because it gives me the control to change it. That change means not returning to that tuner or ever recommending him. Thanks for the feedback. It is helpful.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:40 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

I got a SDPC built, forged, stroker long block. Came recommended by a reputable tuner. $ was very reasonable for what I got..IMO

Good luck
Water_Walker (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 10:09 AM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

When I had mine done it was about 2.5 hours or more. Almost a 60 miles on it. Actually drove the car for well over an hour to tune real world then finished on the Dyno. 22k miles since the Novi2000 was installed and never an issue what so ever. Half the time I forget I have a blower.
When the stock motor goes I will stay with the LS6 stock cubes and simply forge it and keep it in the 750whp range which on the street is more than enough power.
My present set up is at 6psi and meth, AR headers, and makes just shy of
600 whp.
Water_Walker (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 10:39 AM
Water_Walker
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the options and ideas.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:31 AM
holley505
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I got a forged short block from TEXAS SPEED. Been in the car for 8 years now... no issues. Mine is LS3 stroker.... with LS1/LS2 conversion so I can run the old 24X wheel and computer. GOOD LUCK
Old 08-02-2017, 10:24 AM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Received 352 Likes on 278 Posts

2. None. I thought I did my homework, but the system was stock. Unsure if that led to its death. I do know I had pressure in the crank case given the dipstick situation and I blew the front crank seal. Even with that would that have lead to a ring letting go?
Did you still have the line from the throttle body to the valve cover attached or did you cap those barbs? This can pressurize the crank case while under boost.

In a boosted application there will be more pressure than stock so you need to remove more pressure than the stock system is capable of.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:58 AM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

something not right you should be fine at that power level. hopefully block can be re used and just put some budget rods/pistons in there and be stoked.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:32 AM
DKS2K
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would swap in a L33 5.3 from 2005,06 and half 07 trucks. Much better motor for boost and can easily handle the power.

Get notified of new replies

To Motor done after 1500 supercharged miles...Options?

Quick Reply: Motor done after 1500 supercharged miles...Options?