C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V3 Si mostly stock car, advice/tips.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 07:18 AM
Echo97vette
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default V3 Si mostly stock car, advice/tips.

I have my 99 c5 I'm putting a v3 Si blower on it. I've searched high and low and numbers seem all over the place. My goal is 600ish at the tire. I have longtubes, corsa exhaust, valve springs and pushrods. All else is stock. Near sea level (Pacific northwest).

**PUMP GAS 92 octane**

I'm adding:
1)LPE/Racetronix 255 with hotwire harness.
2) Mcleod RST clutch w/ fidanza flywheel.
3) Siemens deka 80lb injectors. (Might downsize to 60's)

Anything else that's a "Must have" for 600 whp outside the basic A&A kit? Do I NEED a cam or meth? If so i'd rather do a cam than rely on a meth kit. What pulley would be recommended? 3.6?

Trying to keep my set up as simple as possible.

I will most likely be getting my tune from Wongs performance in Vancouver, WA.

Again I searched this but couldn't find any concrete answers numbers varied from region, type of dyno, fuel, etc.

Any help, tips, or personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Echo97vette; 08-04-2017 at 07:21 AM.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:54 AM
Cutlassmaster
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 84 Posts

I have a 99 auto that had stock cam with 1.8 rockers, headers, fast 90/LS2 TB, and Si v3. With the tune it made 520hp 502 tq. I really expected over 550. Made it about 3 years and 15K mikes before it was pushing oil out. Obviously over time I lost #7 piston ring land between oil and second ring. Lost both rings and only had top ring. Make sure tuner knows what he is doing and run a alky injection system for meth. It will help in keeping it alive longer.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:57 AM
Echo97vette
Instructor

Thanks, Wong has a pretty solid reputation. I trust him with my car. Shame your car lost #7. Replaced it with another stock longblock or did you go forged?
Old 08-04-2017, 11:07 AM
Cutlassmaster
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 84 Posts

I went with forged Texas Speed 402 short block for boost. Expensive but appears solid and done right. My heads were cnc'ed and was told to run LS2 intake. Added Alky meth kit and of course a bigger cam. Its a beast now. Not been on a dyno because I'm not ready to replace stock trans or diff yet. Want to drive the car and enjoy it since it was down for a year. But i put over 4K miles on since May so I am happy again. I usually do all my own work but went with the short block and pain a reputable guy on thos forum to help me tune. Still working it out but I dont worry about hurting it.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:02 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

No expert for sure, but MN6 car with V3si and did the valvetrain upgrades, injectors, and told the tuner to be very conservative with the tune and I'm pushing just a tad over 500rwhp.....

I now want more...
Old 08-04-2017, 04:38 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

You're setup looks good to me. Meth woukd be a nice addition.

be careful with the RST at that power level. Just give it at least a tiny amount of time to cool if you do fast back to back runs at the strip or 1/2 mile events. i overheated mine at a 1/2 mile event making fast back to back passes to help dry off the runway after it rained. Overheated the discs and left big deposits so it chattered REALLY bad when trying to slip it. Pulled it and sent it back for an RXT upgrade. RST is fine, but it will definitely give you problems if you abuse the hell out of it like I did that day.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:34 PM
CamminC5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18

Once you spend some time at that power level you will want to bump it up. Might as well get an RXT, and don't waste your money on an aftermarket slave or master. It's not needed. Always get a clutch for a higher power rating than what you want to make.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:56 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

I would absolutely add the meth kit. They are cheap and super reliable and increase both power and reliability of your car. With a single nozzle also you can drive them for a very long time before worrying about running out. They're a no brainer imo and I think a lot of blown up simple setups could have been prevented if the owner had added a $350 alky control meth kit.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:54 PM
Echo97vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by CamminC5
Once you spend some time at that power level you will want to bump it up. Might as well get an RXT, and don't waste your money on an aftermarket slave or master. It's not needed. Always get a clutch for a higher power rating than what you want to make.
I don't think I'll push the stock longblock any harder than 600. Beyond that I'll be looking into something like a gen 4 6.0 or something like that. Maybe something forged if I have the cash at the time. Either way, it's a ways off. Good advice though.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:56 PM
Echo97vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by neverstop
I would absolutely add the meth kit. They are cheap and super reliable and increase both power and reliability of your car. With a single nozzle also you can drive them for a very long time before worrying about running out. They're a no brainer imo and I think a lot of blown up simple setups could have been prevented if the owner had added a $350 alky control meth kit.
No double meth can be super helpful. I made the mistake of reading the C5 FI survival/ power list and several of the failed engines were due to a failed meth kit. Now I'm scared of it lol. Wish I had E85, with all the hippies in Oregon you'd think it would be everywhere.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:23 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5
You're setup looks good to me. Meth woukd be a nice addition.

be careful with the RST at that power level. Just give it at least a tiny amount of time to cool if you do fast back to back runs at the strip or 1/2 mile events. i overheated mine at a 1/2 mile event making fast back to back passes to help dry off the runway after it rained. Overheated the discs and left big deposits so it chattered REALLY bad when trying to slip it. Pulled it and sent it back for an RXT upgrade. RST is fine, but it will definitely give you problems if you abuse the hell out of it like I did that day.
Yeah sorry, dunno how I forgot but yeah I'm running straight meth also...
Old 08-04-2017, 09:48 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by CamminC5
This is good advice. Don't be like me and do it twice...

Also using an OEM master and slave myself.

Last edited by Quickshift_C5; 08-04-2017 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 02:10 AM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

at 600 rwhp you will be seing a fuel pressure drop from that pump. get a bigger pump and i would do a proper (return) fuel system for starters, so you dont have to retune everything later on. get yourself a fp sensor for sure.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:53 AM
Echo97vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by romandian
at 600 rwhp you will be seing a fuel pressure drop from that pump. get a bigger pump and i would do a proper (return) fuel system for starters, so you dont have to retune everything later on. get yourself a fp sensor for sure.

Ordered fittings and a -6 line for a return, 97/98 fuel fikter and a aeromotive AFPR. What pump do you recommend? Something like an AEM or DW 320? I know the walbro 450 is a nice pump but requires modification.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:21 PM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

im just starting to modify my fuel system. i got an aem 50-1005 and a huge wix filter, being afraid the corvette filter would be a restriction. an adjustable regulator and holley fuel rails as well. once i find out how loud the pump is, i will decide how to do the installation.

Get notified of new replies

To V3 Si mostly stock car, advice/tips.

Quick Reply: V3 Si mostly stock car, advice/tips.