C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zo6 vent under intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 12:27 PM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by NSFW
That path works for naturally aspirated setups (and it what I'll be doing in my C5), but what should the flow path be when the intake manifold pressure is higher than ambient pressure? I can't imagine a good solution for that without some complexity. But the problem might just be my imagination.
clean air in -> crankcase -> dirty air out -> GOOD catch can ->/ intake manifold

i have added a slash to show the boost being blocked from entering the catch can. this is built into my 'wild' systems.

some cool video demos here: (acid tests and catch can challenges)
https://www.mightymousesolutions.com/videos
#mmsolutions
Six time NMCA True Street Champions

Home of the first Twin Turbo C7Z 7.81 @ 176
3470# Stock bottom end and heads Corvette Stock Bottom End Record Holder
Old 05-22-2018, 10:55 PM
NSFW
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 137 Posts

If you're in boost, and the one-way valve on the intake manifold closes, then what's pulling air through the other components?

That sounds flow through the catch can stops (because the output port is now closed by the check-valve) and crankcase pressure has no place to go but out - through what used to be the clean-air inlet.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:37 AM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

as i mentioned before, for street drivers this scenario happens a fraction of a percent of the time, so its role in crankcase filtration gets superseded by the need to maintain stable (0) pressure build up.

in stock form this means everything must turn around and leave the fresh air inlet

for my cans, especially for my wild systems, there is a new much larger vent available on the can which significantly increase ventilation capacity (and power handling).
Old 05-23-2018, 10:39 PM
NSFW
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 137 Posts

I see now... Subaru doesn't have the vent-to-atmosphere option so that's where the extra complexity comes from. Not a concern for most of the people buying catch cans though.

Is there something in the catch can to stop it from pulling in fresh air via the can's vent when the intake manifold is in vacuum?
Old 05-23-2018, 10:54 PM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by NSFW
I see now... Subaru doesn't have the vent-to-atmosphere option so that's where the extra complexity comes from. Not a concern for most of the people buying catch cans though.

Is there something in the catch can to stop it from pulling in fresh air via the can's vent when the intake manifold is in vacuum?

when it comes to power adders the stock system often does not cut it, so that's where what i do becomes important. yes the breather closes in vac

Quick Reply: Zo6 vent under intake