C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ugh- shredding belt with ATI already

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 08:50 AM
55SUX
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Ugh- shredding belt with ATI already (jeff_nation)

I shredded rubber like crazy before I moved to an 8 ribbed belt and an adjustable tensioner pulley. Now I pull 10lbs at 6000rpm's with NO slippage.

I know this can be a real pain in the boost!
Whose 8 rib pulleys are you using, ATI, ATI Performance Products, or other?
Whose tensioner, Katech or other?
Speedworks in Dallas did your install?
Thanks
Old 10-22-2002, 10:28 AM
ganson
Instructor

Default Re: Ugh- shredding belt with ATI already (jeff_nation)

Is there an 8-rib kit available that's user-installable?
Old 10-22-2002, 10:56 AM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

Default Re: Ugh- shredding belt with ATI already (Rookiedyn)

If they are reading the Forum and want truthfull information. Please have them start a thread so we can give them our personal experiences. :yesnod: I would like to let them know directly what I have encountered with the PS1 kit. By letting them know the issues, they can build a better product for all the future S/C owners.

vetterdstr :cheers:
Old 10-22-2002, 11:59 AM
dbvettez06
Melting Slicks

It sucks for sure...Also watch out as the hood liner will shread with the belt!! When i crawled under the car, i noticed the belt was within a hair of touching the the block...I also tried the Katech manual tensioner, turns out, IT was the reason i had slippage! Put the stock tensioner on, bingo full boost....It really helps to secure the car safely, then get underneath and watch the belt as it turns to see where it may be touching..Above posts should help you fix your problem :cheers:
Old 10-23-2002, 06:13 PM
Rookiedyn
Pro

Default Re: Ugh- shredding belt with ATI already (dbvettez06)

Shinobi'sZ was right on the money with his explanation. Just got of the phone with my tuner and they had to take .60 off the idler pulley. They found where the belt rode up the pulley and over and sliced one of the ribs. They put everything back together and checked it with a laser level and everything seems perfect. We arent sure why it didn't happen on the dyno and then during the first 150 miles on the road but as I put more miles on her the answers will come.

I am going to show him what Andy has developed when I pick up the car. My tuner is very interested in making fixes to the kit to help aide future installs. We can only hope ATI is researching this forum as noted in another thread.

Next will be to test overheating issues. Of course being its in the 30's and low 40s here already that will have to wait till spring.

All the small problems are an invonvenience but those that run the ATI know its worth the trade off once things are right. The performance gain is amazing and drives like the car came from the factory untill you get on it.
Old 10-24-2002, 01:12 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 439 Likes on 236 Posts

Rookiedyn,
I am glad it worked out for you. I am in the process of selecting my next pully, as I think I am running between 10-12 lbs of boost. I am using a 3.85" pully...what size pully did you use to get 8 lbs of boost?
Thanks
Old 10-24-2002, 03:40 PM
MH2Lmaker
Intermediate

Boy, am I glad I read this. I was seriously considering the Procharger and had even gotten a price from an installer about an hour away. I think I will have to hold off until ATI gets everything straightened out as this is my daily driver and I can't afford to be continually making repairs and adjustments. Thanks for all of the input.

Come on ATI, come to the rescue!
Old 10-24-2002, 07:54 PM
Rookiedyn
Pro

Default Re: Ugh- shredding belt with ATI already (Shinobi'sZ)

Rookiedyn,
I am glad it worked out for you. I am in the process of selecting my next pully, as I think I am running between 10-12 lbs of boost. I am using a 3.85" pully...what size pully did you use to get 8 lbs of boost?
Thanks
We were getting 10 lbs of boost with a 4 1/2" pulley. Had to go up to the 4 5/8" which put us in the 8lb range. I am sure with a 3.85" it would have pulled 12 lbs of boost as yours did. Let me know how it works out for you. :cheers:
Old 10-24-2002, 07:59 PM
Rookiedyn
Pro

Default Re: Ugh- shredding belt with ATI already (MH2Lmaker)

Boy, am I glad I read this. I was seriously considering the Procharger and had even gotten a price from an installer about an hour away. I think I will have to hold off until ATI gets everything straightened out as this is my daily driver and I can't afford to be continually making repairs and adjustments. Thanks for all of the input.

Come on ATI, come to the rescue!
MH2Lmaker don't let these posts discourage you. You will love the ATI the power and drivabilty is amazing. It would be important to make sure your tuner is aware of the problems with the kit as well as LS1 edit tuning experience (not required but a big plus). Many tuners are learning fast how to install these kits. Yours may already know how to deal with most of these problems..

Quick Reply: Ugh- shredding belt with ATI already