C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gates Belt

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 01:44 PM
CorvetteC5Norway
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Gates Belt

I checked my Gates Micro V 6 rib supercharger (NOVI) belt today for tightness, and found that it actually had splitted right down the middle. It has approx 2000 miles in it. Anyone experienced this?
It's not the RPM type, just a 'stock' type of the shelf of an autopart store/chain. Should it still work, or do I need a more racing type?
Old 06-14-2018, 04:26 PM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,283 Likes on 1,938 Posts

I have not had this experience before.

I used a DayCo standard off the shelf belt for two years without incident.

If it split, have you checked the line the belt follows for sharp contacts? I don't know your kit or quite where the belt is routed for you, but if a manual or spring tensioner were to fail, or let's say at higher rpm they extend open more, the belt could have been coming in contact with a sharp contact point and prompting the split. Easy enough to check and verify. Are there any areas near belt travel with rubber or powder debris?

Edit: If you do find an RPM belt for your application's desired length, some have reported them being difficult to install. I just installed mine two days ago and it was no problem. In my case, I have an AA bracket with a Procharger. This bracket has a spring tensioner and a manual tensioner. With full force on the manual tensioner, the point at which the bolt locks in place is a full inch different from where it had been previously. So while it is not impossible to install, it does seem to either stretch less or be slightly shorter. I did not take a tape measure to it.

Last edited by Tusc; 06-14-2018 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:59 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteC5Norway
I checked my Gates Micro V 6 rib supercharger (NOVI) belt today for tightness, and found that it actually had splitted right down the middle. It has approx 2000 miles in it. Anyone experienced this?
It's not the RPM type, just a 'stock' type of the shelf of an autopart store/chain. Should it still work, or do I need a more racing type?
My Gates belt went 22,000 miles and 11 years literally just replaced it Monday because it just started to squeal. It was the stock kind Napa/Gates
25-060896 on my Novi 2000

Last edited by Dave concrete; 06-14-2018 at 06:00 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:25 AM
CorvetteC5Norway
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I replaced my belt this weekend, and when examining the old belt i see that one of the ribs is completely gone some places and teared up other places.I found a small stone or something stuck between two ribs on the balancer, it had probably been there for a while and teared into the belt on that rib...

Get notified of new replies

To Gates Belt

Quick Reply: Gates Belt