C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to convert to flex fuel??

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 09:38 AM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Received 723 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by Podium
That IS false information. You cannot do that on a c5. Even if you could, why would you tell him to get a tahoe pcm when you can flash the OS (which wont work) on his current p01 controller? You deal with swaps, lots of swaps so you should know that.
I didnt bring up the PCM. He did. I Just filled in the information I knew about that PCM. That is all.

Then why comment?
He asked about the tahoe PCM - I answered what it does

That is what the OP is doing and your lack of knowledge is going to send him down the wrong path.
Or maybe my way of open minded thinking is going to help him understand cars in general better

Last edited by Kingtal0n; 07-10-2018 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:40 AM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Turpid porpoise
This is Corvette Forum... the chassis is relevant to this conversation.

This is irrelevant as it doesn't apply to this car.
I disagree simply based on the fact that all Chevrolet V8 cars/trucks made after 1998 share a modular set of components which when utilized correctly are completely interchangable as their core usage/potential is relatively identical, i.e. all TPS sensors 0-5Volts, all map sensors 0-5v, all fuel injectors have plugs you can change, all wiring can be altered and all sensors can be replaced.

If you have a Nissan, a Chevrolet, a Mazda, it doesn't matter. And you bring me a 4.8/5.3/5.7/6.0/6.2L it doesn't matter what car its from or going into. I can make it run with any V8 computer I want. Period. even an 80's batch fire unit would do the job, or a Haltech if you got fancy. they all work the same.

Last edited by Kingtal0n; 07-10-2018 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:47 PM
Podium
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingtal0n
If you have a Nissan, a Chevrolet, a Mazda, it doesn't matter. And you bring me a 4.8/5.3/5.7/6.0/6.2L it doesn't matter what car its from or going into. I can make it run with any V8 computer I want. Period. even an 80's batch fire unit would do the job, or a Haltech if you got fancy. they all work the same.
Doesn't matter if you can make a ls swapped pinto run on a Game Boy, you still dont know **** about running a C5 on flex fuel with a stock GM PCM.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:16 PM
TastyBacon
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Podium
Doesn't matter if you can make a ls swapped pinto run on a Game Boy, you still dont know **** about running a C5 on flex fuel with a stock GM PCM.
Right. Running any LS with flexfuel on a standalone PCM in a swap, where you can choose any OS you want and the VIN doesn't matter, is pretty well documented and is not that hard to pull off. Anyone with the attention span to read enough forum posts can do that at this point. Doing it in a C5 with the correct OS and the BCM still installed and working is still the secret sauce, I think.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:58 PM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

toxic

Originally Posted by TastyBacon
Right. Running any LS with flexfuel on a standalone PCM in a swap, where you can choose any OS you want and the VIN doesn't matter, is pretty well documented and is not that hard to pull off. Anyone with the attention span to read enough forum posts can do that at this point. Doing it in a C5 with the correct OS and the BCM still installed and working is still the secret sauce, I think.
I agree but that wasn't the topic's question. Topic is flex fuel + any engine, Then, a question was "Tahoe pcm"? To which I was able to add accurate information about $30 pcm.

take a nice look at my original post and tell me if it doesn't accurately detail the issues that are clearing up: Yes it controls timing vs E85 content, yes its $35 and will run the engine. What else does it really say beyond that? Nothing is implied about it being used in a C5 as I wasn't directing any attention towards the car itself or whatever happens to be inside the car. Some remove all factory gauges and run a panel of their choosing. C5 is so old now it is becoming common to remove all factory canbus/BCM/IBM/ICBM/macintosh stuff and go straight custom with $30 flex pcm. All kinds of cars and all kinds of swaps.

Old 07-11-2018, 05:25 PM
TastyBacon
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I agree but that wasn't the topic's question. Topic is flex fuel + any engine
No it's not. It's flex fuel + OP's engine, in OP's C5. You are ignoring his question and making this thread into a discussion about what you have done with LS swapped cars that aren't C5s, with standalone PCMs, etc.

Then, a question was "Tahoe pcm"? To which I was able to add accurate information about $30 pcm.
Except for the fact that it won't work in OP's C5, except as a standalone running a truck OS, which clearly would not meet his needs.

take a nice look at my original post and tell me if it doesn't accurately detail the issues that are clearing up
Within the context you have laid out to make yourself correct, yes, you're correct. Within the context of the OP's question, no, you are not correct and not helping.

Yes it controls timing vs E85 content, yes its $35 and will run the engine. What else does it really say beyond that? Nothing is implied about it being used in a C5 as I wasn't directing any attention towards the car itself or whatever happens to be inside the car.
Then why go on about it here, the Forced Induction section of the C5 forum, in response to a question specifically about a C5?

Some remove all factory gauges and run a panel of their choosing. C5 is so old now it is becoming common to remove all factory canbus/BCM/IBM/ICBM/macintosh stuff and go straight custom with $30 flex pcm. All kinds of cars and all kinds of swaps.
OP is in California, needs to pass emissions, and wants to street drive his car and take it on long trips. I don't think ripping out all the factory electronics is relevant here.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:38 PM
Podium
Burning Brakes

toxic

I agree but that wasn't the topic's question. Topic is flex fuel + any engine, Then, a question was "Tahoe pcm"? To which I was able to add accurate information about $30 pcm.

take a nice look at my original post and tell me if it doesn't accurately detail the issues that are clearing up: Yes it controls timing vs E85 content, yes its $35 and will run the engine. What else does it really say beyond that? Nothing is implied about it being used in a C5 as I wasn't directing any attention towards the car itself or whatever happens to be inside the car. Some remove all factory gauges and run a panel of their choosing. C5 is so old now it is becoming common to remove all factory canbus/BCM/IBM/ICBM/macintosh stuff and go straight custom with $30 flex pcm. All kinds of cars and all kinds of swaps.
You may have taken Chucks spot as my favorite on this forum
Old 07-11-2018, 05:39 PM
Podium
Burning Brakes

No it's not. It's flex fuel + OP's engine, in OP's C5. You are ignoring his question and making this thread into a discussion about what you have done with LS swapped cars that aren't C5s, with standalone PCMs, etc.

Except for the fact that it won't work in OP's C5, except as a standalone running a truck OS, which clearly would not meet his needs.

Within the context you have laid out to make yourself correct, yes, you're correct. Within the context of the OP's question, no, you are not correct and not helping.

Then why go on about it here, the Forced Induction section of the C5 forum, in response to a question specifically about a C5?

OP is in California, needs to pass emissions, and wants to street drive his car and take it on long trips. I don't think ripping out all the factory electronics is relevant here.

Rip everything out of that old C5. 35 dollars bro!
Old 07-11-2018, 07:15 PM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

See, its easy for you to tell he is in California. But I can't tell you six times seven. I would never catch Emissions because I do not believe in letting other people tell me how to run my ship.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:18 AM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Received 352 Likes on 278 Posts

See, its easy for you to tell he is in California. But I can't tell you six times seven. I would never catch Emissions because I do not believe in letting other people tell me how to run my ship.
His location is in his profile, it takes one click. Nobody cares what you think or how you feel about emissions, it is not relevant to the conversation.

I’ll give you credit where due, your initial post was informative despite being misguided. Since then your posts seem to be about proving you were right although the solution you presented is, in no way, the “best way to convert to flex fuel” as the title of the thread(a thread in the Forced Induction/C5 section of Corvette forum) states. Switching to a tahoe pcm, converting to cable throttle, deleting the ebcm, bcm and all other systems in the car is far from the best way to accomplish this. While gutting C5s to go racing may be more common this days it is far from trendy. The vast majority of corvette owners still want to retain all the functionality the car came with without having to rewire every electrical system.
The following users liked this post:
Old 07-12-2018, 08:59 AM
dopefedz
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm clueless to be honest as far as what all it takes to complete this conversion but I found a local shop to me that had done it before in their own car. I brought them a P59 pcm and I had already installed my own flex fuel sensor on the return line and they did the rest. I only fill up with E85 but if I were ever in a bind I can run pump 93 and be ok. Not sure what all they had to do but all my factory stuff works just like it should.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:11 PM
jimbos'ss
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by dopefedz
I'm clueless to be honest as far as what all it takes to complete this conversion but I found a local shop to me that had done it before in their own car. I brought them a P59 pcm and I had already installed my own flex fuel sensor on the return line and they did the rest. I only fill up with E85 but if I were ever in a bind I can run pump 93 and be ok. Not sure what all they had to do but all my factory stuff works just like it should.
Which shop?
Old 07-14-2018, 07:32 PM
dopefedz
Racer

Originally Posted by jimbos'ss
Which shop?
Legacy Motorsports in Baytown TX.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:53 AM
jimbos'ss
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by dopefedz
Legacy Motorsports in Baytown TX.
Thank you!
Old 07-15-2018, 08:23 PM
dopefedz
Racer

Originally Posted by jimbos'ss
Thank you!
No problem. Tell them Carlos with the procharged white FRC sent ya.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:48 AM
blackvette82
Heel & Toe

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is my experience swapping PCMs to gain all the benefits of flex fuel. hope its helpful

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...onversion.html

Quick Reply: Best way to convert to flex fuel??