C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Texas Speed 427 and F1A Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 03:39 PM
boldtx
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 86 Posts

Well had a break out year at the SORC managed a 187mph half mile and a 214.4mph standing mile.Whats more amazing was it was 16mph faster than my last years run with only a few changes and the air density was over 7,000. Could not be happier to say the very least.

The following 4 users liked this post by boldtx:
C5-Fan (08-08-2020), MURDEREDOUT (08-10-2020), niterydr (08-15-2020), stevieturbo (08-08-2020)
Old 08-10-2020, 04:20 AM
MURDEREDOUT
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

What an awesome build and your goals have been accomplished! Congrats! Did you gained that 16MPH with just the Aero changes and better IAT's?

What are the IAT's with the open bumper and vented hood? I know the condition and weather was different from the last data's you had.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:08 PM
boldtx
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MURDEREDOUT
What an awesome build and your goals have been accomplished! Congrats! Did you gained that 16MPH with just the Aero changes and better IAT's?

What are the IAT's with the open bumper and vented hood? I know the condition and weather was different from the last data's you had.
Well thats the interesting thing my IAT's touched over 200 which I was less than pleases with 20 deg cooler last year. My guess is before my air filter off the prochager was totally blocked due to aero mods. Now that its is open it is sucking in a ton more air so I am assuming making more HP. I need to strap it to the dyno and make a couple of pulls to see what al is going on. But for now I am walking on air.
The following users liked this post:
MURDEREDOUT (08-12-2020)
Old 08-10-2020, 02:10 PM
boldtx
Burning Brakes

Also won some hardware

MURDEREDOUT (08-12-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 09:55 AM
boldtx
Burning Brakes

The following 3 users liked this post by boldtx:
blackdak318 (08-17-2020), MURDEREDOUT (08-12-2020), niterydr (08-15-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 10:54 AM
blackdak318
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Badass! Was the oil pressure gauge accurate? Looks like it drops to 40 PSI thru the run.

What car is this? I'm in Omaha as well.

EDIT: Sorry I just looked at this last page. Went back and looked at beginning of the tread at pics of car. Never seen it out before. Do you cruise it around much or hit any of the Cars & Coffee events? What shop did you have issues with before? Looks like Sublime is doing the work now? Very interested because no one really uses them around here that I know of but obviously he does enough work to keep himself in business. I had Chad @ The Shop in Lincoln tune my previous C5Z and he is awesome. With my turbo mustang now I do my own work and have a tuner help me, but then just rent dyno time from TJ @ H&S Dyno.

Last edited by blackdak318; 08-17-2020 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-17-2020, 04:46 PM
boldtx
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by blackdak318
Badass! Was the oil pressure gauge accurate? Looks like it drops to 40 PSI thru the run.

What car is this? I'm in Omaha as well.

EDIT: Sorry I just looked at this last page. Went back and looked at beginning of the tread at pics of car. Never seen it out before. Do you cruise it around much or hit any of the Cars & Coffee events? What shop did you have issues with before? Looks like Sublime is doing the work now? Very interested because no one really uses them around here that I know of but obviously he does enough work to keep himself in business. I had Chad @ The Shop in Lincoln tune my previous C5Z and he is awesome. With my turbo mustang now I do my own work and have a tuner help me, but then just rent dyno time from TJ @ H&S Dyno.
That particular gauge is not very accurate I have one on my rollcage that I use.

Correct I am an Omaha guy.
I don't drive it very much honestly overall not very comfortable to be honest and any day over 85deg is pretty brutal. I am not much of a carshow guy either honestly just prefer to take it for short drives and head home. The first shop that did work on it was Harchelroad motors in Imperial NE. They did the motor/nitrous setup on my first couple of motors. They did a great job on my first motor however on the second one after I decided to use more nitrous they rushed it and screwed up the tune. Only made it a half mile in a mile event and it went boom. We left on very bad terms to say the least. You are correct Sublime did this build the motor was built by Texas Speed so Sublime mainly did all the install work and tune. Overall I have been pretty happy they are not the cheapest but are pretty knowledgeable. Regardless if I could do it again I would go twin turbo.I have always heard good things about Chad honestly I just wanted someone that could do a good job and be close enough for me to run by and check on progress.
blackdak318 (08-18-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 05:14 PM
poopinpenguins
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by boldtx
That particular gauge is not very accurate I have one on my rollcage that I use.

Correct I am an Omaha guy.
I don't drive it very much honestly overall not very comfortable to be honest and any day over 85deg is pretty brutal. I am not much of a carshow guy either honestly just prefer to take it for short drives and head home. The first shop that did work on it was Harchelroad motors in Imperial NE. They did the motor/nitrous setup on my first couple of motors. They did a great job on my first motor however on the second one after I decided to use more nitrous they rushed it and screwed up the tune. Only made it a half mile in a mile event and it went boom. We left on very bad terms to say the least. You are correct Sublime did this build the motor was built by Texas Speed so Sublime mainly did all the install work and tune. Overall I have been pretty happy they are not the cheapest but are pretty knowledgeable. Regardless if I could do it again I would go twin turbo.I have always heard good things about Chad honestly I just wanted someone that could do a good job and be close enough for me to run by and check on progress.
+1 having issues with Harchelroads. I purchased a car from them that has been nothing but problems. They made no effort to make amends. It's really too bad.
Old 08-17-2020, 05:40 PM
boldtx
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by poopinpenguins
+1 having issues with Harchelroads. I purchased a car from them that has been nothing but problems. They made no effort to make amends. It's really too bad.
Yeah I feel you they charged me for a motor and labor with a minimal discount to get it broken out of their shop. Full well knowing and admitting the tuning was screwed up and they ran an insane amount of nitrous through it for tuning. When they delivered the car to me at the race it was running terrible I was assured they just needed to iron out the drivability of the tune. The amount of money I spent there and the zero F's given to make things right was pretty terrible.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:53 AM
blackdak318
Pro

Experiences like that are rough. I've never heard of that shop but I'll make sure to avoid.

Chad is super legit and a really good dude. I would use him for anything, but his prices have gone up recently as they have gotten busier. TJ @ H&S Dyno of I80 and 370 is good too. They just moved into a new space and have a very nice dyno room and overall shop. They were very busy when I was in for my dyno session a few months ago and my interactions with him running the dyno were good.

If any one you Omaha guys want to get together or need a excuse to bring the car out, I'll be at the Cars & Coffee at HyVee on 156th & Maple this Saturday. I have a black turbo ls fox mustang. Stop by and let's chat!
Old 08-18-2020, 03:26 PM
boldtx
Burning Brakes

Experiences like that are rough. I've never heard of that shop but I'll make sure to avoid.

Chad is super legit and a really good dude. I would use him for anything, but his prices have gone up recently as they have gotten busier. TJ @ H&S Dyno of I80 and 370 is good too. They just moved into a new space and have a very nice dyno room and overall shop. They were very busy when I was in for my dyno session a few months ago and my interactions with him running the dyno were good.

If any one you Omaha guys want to get together or need a excuse to bring the car out, I'll be at the Cars & Coffee at HyVee on 156th & Maple this Saturday. I have a black turbo ls fox mustang. Stop by and let's chat!
Thank you I have always heard good things about Chad and his crew I also figure if Kyle Loftis trusts him that's a huge plus. As for TJ I worked with him about 10 years ago when he worked for Tom at C&S. He always seemed like a good guy. Towards the end I had a few issues with Tom so I moved on I will have to keep TJ in mind as well for anything. Seems like most places locally are staying busy and they all charge a decent chunk hourly. As of recent I have tried to do more of my own work to a degree at the speeds I go certain things I just don't mess with LOL.

Thank you for the invite I keep meaning to take the vette to that show my excuse is usually I am lazy or I don't want my neighbors to murder me firing up my car that early.
blackdak318 (08-18-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 05:46 PM
poopinpenguins
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would keep an eye on Barnyard garage in Lincoln as well. Brock, the owner, is a good dude. It's a fairly new shop. He did some work on my buddies C6Z here in Hastings, and it has been performing flawlessly.

Last edited by poopinpenguins; 08-18-2020 at 05:48 PM.
blackdak318 (08-19-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 08:04 PM
boldtx
Burning Brakes

I would keep an eye on Barnyard garage in Lincoln as well. Brock, the owner, is a good dude. It's a fairly new shop. He did some work on my buddies C6Z here in Hastings, and it has been performing flawlessly.
Oh nice thanks for the heads up I will keep them in mind I have a few things I need to address and or change for a longer distance event.
Old 08-19-2020, 09:15 AM
blackdak318
Pro

Yeah they seem decent as well. Have quite a few dyno days. I would like to get in on one soon to see what my set up will make on a dynojet.
Old 08-19-2020, 02:45 PM
boldtx
Burning Brakes

Yeah they seem decent as well. Have quite a few dyno days. I would like to get in on one soon to see what my set up will make on a dynojet.
Likewise I am curious to see why my car is much faster than last year by about 16mph. Still a bit of a mystery. But no complaints

In the 20 years of the event no corvette has ever hit 200mph other than me and I am the fifth fastest ever since the start of the SORC.

Old 08-19-2020, 04:34 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by boldtx
Likewise I am curious to see why my car is much faster than last year by about 16mph. Still a bit of a mystery. But no complaints

In the 20 years of the event no corvette has ever hit 200mph other than me and I am the fifth fastest ever since the start of the SORC.

Were any other cars faster than expected ?

Anyone have the "official" timing, backed up by say a VBox for an independent verification ?

I've been at quite a few events, where the official timing gear has been off. Obviously it's all relative, as everyones speed will then be off too though, but I've been at some where their quoted speeds have been some 10-12mph higher than reality.
I always have the VBox in the car regardless, although my own datalogging more than covers it too with 3 independent wheel speeds recorded along with a further GPS speed.
So in total 5 independent and verifiable speed measurements on my car alone lol....plus if you want to also then take in engine rpm, which certainly with a manual trans can directly calculate to speed via gearing.

Of course, maybe it was just a very good run, all shifts good, good grip, tailwind helping etc etc. But 16mph jump is alot. But a 427 with F1...it certainly doesnt sound like an unreasonable speed to be hitting at a mile.

Last edited by stevieturbo; 08-19-2020 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-19-2020, 06:12 PM
boldtx
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Were any other cars faster than expected ?

Anyone have the "official" timing, backed up by say a VBox for an independent verification ?

I've been at quite a few events, where the official timing gear has been off. Obviously it's all relative, as everyones speed will then be off too though, but I've been at some where their quoted speeds have been some 10-12mph higher than reality.
I always have the VBox in the car regardless, although my own datalogging more than covers it too with 3 independent wheel speeds recorded along with a further GPS speed.
So in total 5 independent and verifiable speed measurements on my car alone lol....plus if you want to also then take in engine rpm, which certainly with a manual trans can directly calculate to speed via gearing.

Of course, maybe it was just a very good run, all shifts good, good grip, tailwind helping etc etc. But 16mph jump is alot. But a 427 with F1...it certainly doesnt sound like an unreasonable speed to be hitting at a mile.
All cars were about how they normally are nothing too much unexpected. I had thought that the timing equipment might be wrong but both my Dragy and GoPro showed the same speed as the timing equipment within a tenth. Also you bring up a good point my rpm's were in line with my speed based on gearing that I was at those speeds.

As for the increase in speed really not much different this year from last year tailwind wise or grip. Its really just a mystery only thing that I keep going back to is the air filter off the Procharger was totally blocked. I have to think it not getting fresh air had to have made a big difference. Only thing added aero wise was the wing on the back. Granted I still have high IAT issues to address and now that I look back at things my oil pressure does drop 20psi down to 40psi after 130 and it goes along with my aftermarket one on the pillar. Not sure if I need to add a Accusump or even go with a 10w 40 instead of 10w 30. Always something.

Last edited by boldtx; 08-19-2020 at 06:15 PM.
blackdak318 (08-20-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To Texas Speed 427 and F1A Build

Old 08-19-2020, 07:03 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Clean filter, cold air into it and as big a Garrett core you can fit would all be good places to start for cold air.

Old 08-19-2020, 07:37 PM
boldtx
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Clean filter, cold air into it and as big a Garrett core you can fit would all be good places to start for cold air.
My air filter was dirty so I cleaned that this year. I would like a bigger intercooler but not sure how big a one I can fit I need to take some dimmensions.
Old 08-20-2020, 09:01 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

Re the intercooler how about 2 Units like Procharger use on the C7 one under each headlight and joining (or not) in the middle? They support around 900rwhp so 2 should flow loads! Also being long they would give more time for the air to remove the heat!

Doing some rough maths maths if you can fit a 9inch tall unit in the each side and 4.5 inch thick that would give you 1944 cubic inches of core! That’s about 2.5 times more than you have now!

Filter placement would be tough but you could maybe run a NACA duct or a scoop off you good directly to the supercharger?

Just a daft idea!

Quick Reply: Texas Speed 427 and F1A Build