C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intercooler and meth/water inj for 12 psi max boost centri blower or just meth/water

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 10:41 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Default Intercooler and meth/water inj for 12 psi max boost centri blower or just meth/water

Have a meth/water inj system on a mild boost p1-sc making 550 rwhp. 12.5 psi boost at 6000 rpm.

any benefits to adding an intercooler in conjunction, with meth, or should i just stay simple with meth/water inj ?

This wouldnt be with flow-restricting procharger ‘twins’ but rather a universal high flow model.

i looked at iat temps once on dyno on a 65 F day. They would drop once meth/water inj came on around 3000 rpm and eventually start climbing to 110-115F by 6000 rpm (despite the meth/water inj spraying full blast).

The reason I am hesitant to do anything is because right now it is a simple lightweight setup.

Would I gain much with an intercooler?

the max temp i see in ohio driving this thing is prob 90F where i live.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:09 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Are you saying you have no intercooler at present ?

IMO, it is almost always worth having a good intercooler. And 12.5psi on that small blower is probably pushing it fairly hard even if overall boost is quite low.
Intercooler is just a cheap, effective and zero maintenance benefit to the engine with boost.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:47 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Yes, no intercooler at present, just meth/water injection triggered to come on with boost.

the old procharger twin style intercoolers were so restrictive i picked up 3 psi boost in removing them.

Well, i mean the car is more a sprinter. (Ie. 1/4 mile wot run, the highway on ramp - which doesnt last long).

i could see for road course racing how an intercooler (combined with the meth/water inj) would be useful.

I figure ill lose prob 1 psi or so of boost with an intercooler.

Are there concerns about blocking the radiator with an intercooler?

convince me my thinking is wrong and ill experiment / add one !

Last edited by dizwiz24; 03-31-2019 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:38 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Well, almost every boosted setup out there uses an intercooler, with only benefits to be had.

What more convincing is there ? And many of them are even crap chinese stuff.

But if doing it....I would say do it right, buy the best unit you can afford. Ideally Garrett cores, although as a lower level build here....that wouldnt be quite as important.

Last edited by stevieturbo; 03-31-2019 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:51 AM
jdwtx85
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
Have a meth/water inj system on a mild boost p1-sc making 550 rwhp. 12.5 psi boost at 6000 rpm.

any benefits to adding an intercooler in conjunction, with meth, or should i just stay simple with meth/water inj ?

This wouldnt be with flow-restricting procharger ‘twins’ but rather a universal high flow model.

i looked at iat temps once on dyno on a 65 F day. They would drop once meth/water inj came on around 3000 rpm and eventually start climbing to 110-115F by 6000 rpm (despite the meth/water inj spraying full blast).

The reason I am hesitant to do anything is because right now it is a simple lightweight setup.

Would I gain much with an intercooler?

the max temp i see in ohio driving this thing is prob 90F where i live.
That's cool your not running a cooler.
Down in south Texas it gets hot af. Two years ago I think it was over 40days over triple digits. I dont want to block the radiator with a fmic and the added length of piping.
I'm almost finished with my rear mount kit!!!! Baby has slowed me down. I've got a alky control kit for my 01z06 and a 78/75 turbo was gonna set it up first with 10# and see how it works.
Jason

Last edited by jdwtx85; 04-01-2019 at 01:55 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Intercooler and meth/water inj for 12 psi max boost centri blower or just meth/water

Quick Reply: Intercooler and meth/water inj for 12 psi max boost centri blower or just meth/water