C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

retard timing

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2003, 10:48 AM
Nixs99
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default retard timing

I keep reading about retarding the timing 2 degrees for every 50 hp. How does this get done, or does the car do it by itself(computer) and if I retard the timing will it make the car run bad. I drive it every day. I have a tnt n20 set up in it with 75 hp fro now and a corsa exhaust. I dont juice it that often.
Old 05-31-2003, 11:32 AM
Steve'01
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: retard timing (Nixs99)

To pull timing out for Nitrous or boost most people us a MSD boost control ignition box or similar. There is not an application for our cars (to my knowledge) yet due to the individual coil per cylinder. For you and a small shot of juice I would run colder non-platinum plugs like NGK TR6 gapped at 32. You can find lots of suggestions on juice use on this site. I used a boost sensitive timing controller on my single turbo LT1 Trans AM but I was pushing 15 lbs. BE careful with the juice and don’t get too greedy and push it above 150 HP. I personally ran 150 for over a year with no problems. When we took apart my engine for rebuild to handle the SC the bearing and rings were gone. You could push 100HP for a long time (years) as long as you don’t get a stuck solenoid or jet. Then it’s all over. Using any power adder = eventual new stronger engine. It’s just a matter of time. :cheers:
Old 05-31-2003, 07:43 PM
ICULUKN-C5
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: retard timing (Steve'01)

to retard timing use LS1 edit. This was you can take out timing 1 degree from idle to 4k and 2 degress from 4k to redline. This will allow you to maintain most of your NA horsepower.
Old 06-01-2003, 11:24 PM
newberd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: retard timing (Nixs99)

I'm using a RamChargers timing controller. You dial in how much timing to pull but only when spraying. It can be used as a window switch, also. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To retard timing

Quick Reply: retard timing